Which Accessory(s) to get?

Maxx71

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M10 arrives tomorrow through the very generous help of a family member! I'm curious as to which accessory you prefer to use on the M10? Case? Thumb Grip? Hand Grip? Soft Release or all of the above? I'll try them all at the store in LA but would appreciate your thoughts and experience so that I can make better decisions after trying them all for a short time at the store.

I have found that one or more spare batteries is a good idea.

Visoflex 020 came after a while when I tried to use R lenses.

Hi "a.noctilux"!

Please share your experience and images of R lens on M10. I intend to get R Apo 180 f2.8 to shoot with my M10 & EVF Visoflex 002 or my SL 601.

Many thanks!

My M10 arrives tomorrow through the very generous help of a family member! I'm curious as to which accessory you prefer to use on the M10? Case? Thumb Grip? Hand Grip? Soft Release or all of the above? I'll try them all at the store in LA but would appreciate your thoughts and experience so that I can make better decisions after trying them all for a short time at the store.

I got the thumb grip and Hand grip - makes the setup much easier to hold

Soft release too - looks great with a red ladybird on the trigger

Tie her up Rock & Roll strap - the stretching attribute makes the camera setup feels lighter

Half case - I stopped using it as I was concerned the camera will overheat in summer - it got so hot it was uncomfortable to hold

EVF - if you have 28mm or wider (i wear glasses and cannot see the 28mm framelines) or the 135mm lens

3 spare batteries

LCD protector

Other less used accessories are

Macro adapter

R to M adapter

LTM to M adapters 

I am sure you will have great fun with your M10. All the best

• Like 1

Such a lively group =) I appreciate the feedback! In order of importance so fare from what I gather, 1. Thumb Grip, 2. Hand grip, 3. Extra batteries. I've had 4 different soft releases on my M240 but usually kept them off. I found that in a small case, the camera fires by itself if I forget to turn it off because the soft release gets pressed inside the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Such a lively group =) I appreciate the feedback! In order of importance so fare from what I gather, 1. Thumb Grip, 2. Hand grip, 3. Extra batteries. I've had 4 different soft releases on my M240 but usually kept them off. I found that in a small case, the camera fires by itself if I forget to turn it off because the soft release gets pressed inside the bag.

For me it was:

1) leather wrist strap

2) visoflex

3) thumbie

4) R to M adapter

5) 2nd battery (to be acquired next)

6) soft release

Edited by magosak

For me, just three "essential" items:

1/ Second battery.

2/ Thumbie. Works as well as the Leica thumb grip but without the loss of the hot shoe.

3/ "Older" Leica fabric/rubber shoulder strap......much better than the leather one that comes with the camera.

The most recent addition though to my kit that I really do like is a Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f1.4......inexpensively superb!

I bought the following accessories for my M10: 

Leica thumb grip #24015

I tried this on in the camera store and really liked the feel. The downside (as all the reviews will tell you), is that it covers the camera hotshoe. 

Leica M10 Hand Grip #24019

Combined with the thumb grip, the hand grip really makes your camera feel more secure. The downsides are - this grip screws into your tripod hole (it has a spare tripod hole to the side), so it decenters your tripod hole. Because it uses a thumb wheel, it is only slightly more finicky to get off than your standard bottom plate. The other downside is that it adds weight to your camera. 

Leica M10 Holster #24016

I am quite finicky when it comes to camera straps. What I want the most is a broad strap so that it puts less stress on my shoulders when I carry the camera. The holster holds the camera close to your body, and it won't swing around so much when you are moving (unlike a neck strap). It could be improved if they included an addition waist strap to really hold the camera tight. The fit to the camera is snug, rather than tight - I would say it is perfect. Not so tight that removing the camera is difficult, but not so loose that the camera will fall out either. Also, buying a holster means that you can avoid two purchases - you do not need a half case, and you do not need a neck strap. If there were accessories that attached to the holster (e.g. spare pockets for CF cards and batteries), you might even get away with not carrying a bag. 

Leica Wrist Strap #18783

This is the only accessory I do not recommend. I needed a wrist strap to hold my camera secure (since I am using a holster), but this one is too thin and not comfortable. I will be replacing it with something else. 

• Like 1

I tried various accessories because I was not comfortable with the grip of the camera.

The hand grip, with the finger loop, plus the thumb grip is the most effective solution but it seems to depersonalize too much the camera and the weight increases a bit too much. In the end I opted for half case and thumb grip (I did not notice a rise in heat) which seems to me the best compromise between weight and grip and there is an additional protection for the camera.

I found that in a small case, the camera fires by itself if I forget to turn it off because the soft release gets pressed inside the bag.

Hahha. Agree totally with you. Hence my comment was "looks great with a red ladybird on the trigger" and not "it is a very useful accessory"  :)

• Like 2

For me... Essentials:

- Leica protector (half case) in brown

- Extra battery

- Leicatime Tazio strap in natural aged brown

- Bag that suits you

Optional (depending on your shooting style and lenses)

- 020 Visoflex

• Like 1

What I recommend: SD-card, extra battery and Visoflex.

I had a half case for the M240 and after a while did not use it anymore.

I bought one again for the M10 and never use it. How stupid is this...

I used a thumb grip for the M240.

I bought one for the M10 and never use it.

To me, the most essential accessories are these (in descending order of importance):

• SDXC memory card (a fast one, at least 32 GB, better 64 GB ... and just one card, not several)
  • eye-piece correction lens +1 dpt (as I am slightly far-sighted and want to use the M without glasses)
  • carrying strap (mine is the Artisan&Artist "Easy-Slider" ACAM-E25R)
  • spare battery (at least one, better two)
  • Visoflex (Typ 020) electronic viewfinder (for wide-angle M lenses and adapted non-M lenses)
  • lens adapter (to fit those SLR lenses sleeping in the closet since switching to digital)
Less essential or indirect (i. e. not for the body itself) accessories include:
  • vented Hong Kong hoods for those M lenses that come with crippled extending hoods only (such as Summicron-M 50 mm or Summilux-M 50 mm Asph)
  • clip-on front caps to go into those vented hoods
  • a small but decent bag for one body, two to four M lenses, and some accessories
  • a fast card reader supporting USB 3.0 (or better yet, USB 3.1) and the latest SDXC standards
Accessories that I used to use with M9 and/or M (Typ 240) but aren't needed for M10 anymore:
  • thumb grip
  • hand grip
  • finger loop
Superfluous accessories:
  • half-case
  • wrist strap
Accessories to stay away from:
  • soft-release button
  • Like 3

First of all a lens ;-)

A spare battery can be handy. For the rest, use the camera for a while before you dive in to the world of accessories, the will probably not make your pictures better...

• Like 4

In order of priority, for me at least:

1)  screen film, because I am obsessive over screen scratches.  My M8 is unscratched in 11 years.

2)  spare battery.

3)  handgrip if you use the heavier lenses like the 28/1.4.

On the not-necessary for me list:

4)  half case, because the camera feels so good without one.

5)  thumb rest, just never joined the cult.

6)  Visoflex 020, because 98% of my shots are with the optical viewfinder window, and the other 2% the back screen works fine.

Enjoy!

Eric

• Like 1