Difference in angle of view 24mm vs 30mm

djmay

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Following are two shots from the same spot. I did not move the tripod. I did the shot with the 24mm first and thought that I might like the 30 better. So, I did the shot with the 30 and thought I liked the result better.

However, after I returned home and looked at both, I decided I like the shot with the 24 better.

Sidebar: If I compare working with the S and working with a view camera, I cannot ever remember changing my mind like this with the view camera. On several occasions with the S, I have found that I did not like the shot after working on it on the computer. This is more about scene selection and composition. Even though it is a fine SLR, I am still adapting to it. With the view camera, I rarely made mistakes with composition (I made other mistakes). And I did not crop with the view camera either.

First, the shot with 30mm below

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The 24 follows.

Jesse

• Like 1

Now the shot with 24mm.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Were these taken at the same time, with the same camera? The file numbers are roughly 8500 apart.

I use a 24mm on my M240 a lot and I really love the point of view - so I agree with you that the 24mm version gives a much better composition than the 30mm

If I only had the 30, I would have backed up to get more of the rocks to provide a leading foreground.  And for me, both the sky and water patterns are more interesting, and complementary,  in the 24mm shot, irrespective of angle of view.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Different cameras make for slightly different workflows. I would think the view camera work flow would be slower and more deliberate. Due to the expense of each image and the time required that you probably didn't have two shots at home to even compare so you don't compare them side by side to see if you have changed your mind.

To me there is a significant difference between what I see on an LCD versus what I see on a large calibrated screen so I tend to shoot extras and do selects later when I can see the subtle differences.

In your shots it is likely that, even though you knew it was there, the small waterfall on the right was barely visible on the rear LCD and so it looked like wasted space. But get it home on a bigger/better screen and it now has a visual impact on the image and provides balance and detail to that area.

Nice shots btw...

Gordon

I use a 24 mm on my Leica M (Typ 240) a lot and I really love the point of view—so I agree with you that the 24 mm version gives a much better composition than the 30 mm.

That's an illogical remark to make, as 24 mm on a Leica M camera is equivalent to 30 mm on a Leica S.

In general, the 30 mm lens (on Leica S) makes more sense for nature and landscape photography because it has a wide but still natural view. A super-wide lens, i. e. a lens with a diagonal angle-of-view of 90° or more, such as the 24 mm (on Leica S), has a tendency to add an element of surrealism to the pictures which in the beforementioned genres of photography usually is out-of-place and unwanted. In genres like fashion, architecture, abstract photography etc, a super-wide can be used to create breath-taking views; in nature and landscape, usually not so much (exceptions exist).

That said, in the case above the 24 mm view is the nicer one.

Maybe with a viewcamera it is more time and work to shoot the same scene with different focal lengths so you might just take only  one image and are done. If you only take one image with one focal length you will never think about if the FOV in image 1 or 2 is better, because there is no image #2.

It might (just my theory) be the same like shooting 35mm film during vacation. With digital we often shoot 10 times more images than we did with film, but then we have to make choices.

Were these taken at the same time, with the same camera? The file numbers are roughly 8500 apart.

I use a 24mm on my M240 a lot and I really love the point of view - so I agree with you that the 24mm version gives a much better composition than the 30mm

Two different S 006 cameras. The shots were within minutes of each other.

Jesse

Different cameras make for slightly different workflows. I would think the view camera work flow would be slower and more deliberate. Due to the expense of each image and the time required that you probably didn't have two shots at home to even compare so you don't compare them side by side to see if you have changed your mind.

To me there is a significant difference between what I see on an LCD versus what I see on a large calibrated screen so I tend to shoot extras and do selects later when I can see the subtle differences.

In your shots it is likely that, even though you knew it was there, the small waterfall on the right was barely visible on the rear LCD and so it looked like wasted space. But get it home on a bigger/better screen and it now has a visual impact on the image and provides balance and detail to that area.

Nice shots btw...

Gordon

Hello Gordon,

You seem to know my thoughts as I was writing.

Definitely different workflows. I do take more time with the view camera. I would view a scene with two different lenses on occasion, however, it would be rare that I would take multiple shots. Also, for me, composing on the ground glass with an upside down and reversed image works very well. The reason is I am composing for forms and patterns and not for details. I hope this communicates. Also, a 4x5 inch ground glass is substantially larger than the LCD on the S camera.

I was aware of the small waterfall on the right. However, I did not consider it significant in the viewfinder or on the LCD. When I looked at it on a 27-inch calibrated monitor, that waterfall proved to be significant.

Like I wrote, I am still adapting to the S. I do not take a lot of shots of one scene. I decide what I want and then shoot. The lesson learned is that I should add shots with variations. I also want to use all of the sensor, therefore rarely crop except to change aspect ratio (panorama), correct level when shooting handheld (boat at sea), or if I cannot get close enough.

Jesse

Maybe with a viewcamera it is more time and work to shoot the same scene with different focal lengths so you might just take only  one image and are done. If you only take one image with one focal length you will never think about if the FOV in image 1 or 2 is better, because there is no image #2.

It might (just my theory) be the same like shooting 35mm film during vacation. With digital we often shoot 10 times more images than we did with film, but then we have to make choices.

Definitely, few shots with the view camera. Although, I also do not take a lot of shots with the S. However, now I will take more.

Jesse

Can the 24mm on the M240 be compared to the S24mm? The S lens is a 19.2mm equivalent.

I have both, S24 has stunning quality and the S30 seems better for environmental portraits.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...
Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Hi Jesse

First of all fantastic scene and lovely pictures.........When you say that you never moved the tripod surly there should have been more on the left of the 24mm than on the left of the 30mm. Looks to me like the 24mm shot was panned further right to get the left edge the same as the 30mm ??

Either way I prefer the 30mm as that is what I have :) :) :)

Neil

Edited by NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Hi Jesse

First of all fantastic scene and lovely pictures.........When you say that you never moved the tripod surly there should have been more on the left of the 24mm than on the left of the 30mm. Looks to me like the 24mm shot was panned further right to get the left edge the same as the 30mm ??

Either way I prefer the 30mm as that is what I have :) :) :)

Neil

I moved the tripod head, but not the legs. You are very perceptive. The best lens is the one on the camera ;)

Thanks,

Jesse

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I moved the tripod head, but not the legs. You are very perceptive. The best lens is the one on the camera ;)

Thanks,

Jesse

i had to Google perspecs :)

In my opinion the composition with the 24 appears to be more harmonious because it follows more closely the rule of thirds, the other one with the 30 has proportionally less sky. However the one with the 30 has a stronger view's exit point at the bottom right corner with the water flows leading to the corner and the profile of the rocks precisely ending at the corner. Both are nice.

I second yours and Gordon's comments on the 4x5 vs. S shooting workflow. Even if I am still very methodical coming from the 4x5 I too shoot more with the S, not only to create more redundancy for the same scene with more selection afterwards, but also because I can move more quickly through the different scenes during the day and cover more grounds. I had to say though that generally a good 4x5 shot tend to be more thoughtful and it requires less work afterwards (my own experience obviously, partially due to the fact that with the 4x5 I tend to walk more around the scene before setting up the 4x5 and I spend more time thinking about the composition, aesthetics, etc.).  

cheers, 

lorenzo 

• Like 1