AF tracking with the TL2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,

Can someone please explain the AFc/tracking capabilities of the TL2?

For the SL camera, AFc works while the shutter button is half-pressed. But, for the TL2, AFc focuses while the shutter button is not pressed, and then when you half-press it it stops focusing. Is this correct? If yes, does it not make the TL2 unsuitable to tracking?

But then on page 153, it says the following : 

Keep the shutter button half-pressed until you take the picture
• The AF frame ‘follows’ the locked subject.

and below that

Tracking works regardless of which AF mode (AFs/AFc) is selected.

So can the TL2 track objects or not? I am confused...

Thanks

Hi Kostas, I think you must check that with Ulrich. I don't think people in this forum are there yet, due to all the problems with TL2; etc. ;)

Thanks Louis, I had a chance to play with a TL2 today, I do not think there is any tracking, but I only had 2-3 minutes with it...

Edited by Daedalus2000

I've had the TL2 for weeks now.. and I believe the af-c only means Pre Focus in FUJIFILM's world and in video mode...

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Absolutely, but have a look at the manual (english), page 153 and it mentions tracking... What does it mean?

Absolutely, but have a look at the manual (english), page 153 and it mentions tracking... What does it mean?

It must be wrong - I've just checked it out and compared it with the SL: the focus point doesn't move.

Maybe the manual anticipates a f/w update that brings in tracking :)

• Like 1

Hmm, looking again at the manual I can see other errors. It tells you to access the focus assist light setting through the Still Image group, whereas it is actually under the Focus group.

And it refers to how to constrain the AF distance (e.g. to close range or distant), which I can't find anywhere - certainly not where it says it is.

It looks they kept changing the menu structure after they sent the manual to press.

AFc doesn't seem to be working at all. It focuses on the half press, but doesn't alter focus as you move the camera around (as the SL does). I'll try again in full daylight tomorrow.

Anyone else see AFc working?

I don't usually use AFc, but I'd like to know if this is the firmware missing the functionality, or my particular body or lens (the 23mm TL).

Hmm, looking again at the manual I can see other errors. It tells you to access the focus assist light setting through the Still Image group, whereas it is actually under the Focus group.

And it refers to how to constrain the AF distance (e.g. to close range or distant), which I can't find anywhere - certainly not where it says it is.

It looks they kept changing the menu structure after they sent the manual to press.

AFc doesn't seem to be working at all. It focuses on the half press, but doesn't alter focus as you move the camera around (as the SL does). I'll try again in full daylight tomorrow.

Anyone else see AFc working?

I don't usually use AFc, but I'd like to know if this is the firmware missing the functionality, or my particular body or lens (the 23mm TL).

My understanding is that with AFc the camera focuses constantly while you have not half-pressed the shutter button. This is what was described in the posts above as pre-focus and this is what the manual says as well. As soon as you half-press the shutter button it stops focusing and locks the focus. That is why I originally asked the question, because I was hoping that there is some tracking ability, especially when I read the page 153 in the manual. But there seems to be none, unlike the SL...

I really wanted to buy the TL2, but small things like this bother me (I found a few which I will list in a post when I have the time), so I am going to wait until there is clarity about the other APS-C Leica camera that is rumoured, or there is a good firmware update... And when they fix the manual as well, I always laugh when they use the word "trimming"!  :)

No, that is not how AFc works on the SL, and it certainly doesn't work like that on the TL2. On the SL a half press causes focus to lock on, then continuously adjust (but not track) as you or the subject move. On the TL2, it seems to behave exactly the same as AFs i.e. locks on with a half press, but stays locked at that focus distance.

This seems to be a fault in the camera, but whether it is in mine only, or is a firmware/functionality problem with all TL2's I don't know. I hope others who actually own the TL2 can confirm this. As I say, I don't normally use AFc, and I'm unlikely to use tracking, so I have no wish to send my camera back unless it can't be fixed in firmware.

I did check the TL2 with the 24-90SL last night, and it behaved the same way as with the 23TL, so whatever issue there is is with the body, not the lens. The 24-90SL performs exactly as expected on the SL body with AFc and tracking.

Edit. The manual is clear about how AFc should work (and how it works with the SL). See p151. I.e. it only works on the half press, not beforehand.

Edited by LocalHero1953

No, that is not how AFc works on the SL, and it certainly doesn't work like that on the TL2. On the SL a half press causes focus to lock on, then continuously adjust (but not track) as you or the subject move. On the TL2, it seems to behave exactly the same as AFs i.e. locks on with a half press, but stays locked at that focus distance.

This seems to be a fault in the camera, but whether it is in mine only, or is a firmware/functionality problem with all TL2's I don't know. I hope others who actually own the TL2 can confirm this. As I say, I don't normally use AFc, and I'm unlikely to use tracking, so I have no wish to send my camera back unless it can't be fixed in firmware.

I did check the TL2 with the 24-90SL last night, and it behaved the same way as with the 23TL, so whatever issue there is is with the body, not the lens. The 24-90SL performs exactly as expected on the SL body with AFc and tracking.

Edit. The manual is clear about how AFc should work (and how it works with the SL). See p151. I.e. it only works on the half press, not beforehand.

I wish you were right, but unfortunately that is not the case. I will reply to the other thread you started.