SF-40 and Leica Q workflow

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am trying to get my head around flash on the Leica Q, I own the SF-40.

It's a good match for the Q no doubt about it and pretty straight forward, but I came across some issues.

Setup: on-camera flash SF-40 for fill, Aperture priority mode, Auto ISO disabled for flash photography, Aperture usually between f1.7 and f2.8

1. On the Q there is regular flash mode and long exposure mode (I am ignoring the Auto-Flash Option). The latter does not fire at faster speeds than 1/60th. Normal mode on the other hand won't let me go slower than 1/60th. I find this a little cumbersome, it would be good to have the flash fire from 1/2000th up to lets say 1 sec without changing the mode, is there a way to achieve this?

2. Is 1/2000th (still very nice to have compared to other cameras) the Qs max shutter speed that the SF-40 can sync with? HSS, which the SF-40 is capable of, usually goes higher.

3. The TTL flash compensation dial seems to override the Q settings, but it only allows -2/+2 max compensation. Any way to get the -3/+3 the Q has to offer?

4. The SF-40s zoom is set automatically when mounted on the Q. I can't change it manually. It clearly doesn't fully cover the 28mm frame though. I can get around this by using the plastic cap and/or wide angle diffusion screen but still...

5. What are the off-camera options? I think with a Nikon TTL-cable 1/2000th of a second and TTL should work?

All in all I am looking for an easy and predictable workflow for direct fill flash or indoor bounce with this setup, that works in most shooting scenarios.

Thank you very much.

Just bought a SF40 today. Haven't received it yet. But interested in following this thread.

On your Point 5, I would love it if my Nikon SC-29 works with SF40 in TTL and at 1/2000s, but I very much doubt it. Not only is Nikon TTL protocol quite different from Leica's, even the usage of the different hot-shoe contact points for TTL signaling is different between Leica and Nikon. I can obviously test this once I receive my SF40. 

Just bought a SF40 today. Haven't received it yet. But interested in following this thread.

On your Point 5, I would love it if my Nikon SC-29 works with SF40 in TTL and at 1/2000s, but I very much doubt it. Not only is Nikon TTL protocol quite different from Leica's, even the usage of the different hot-shoe contact points for TTL signaling is different between Leica and Nikon. I can obviously test this once I receive my SF40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been shooting the Q with flash with no issues. I will say that if you want consistent results and a less confusing set up you would do well to shoot Manual settings and set the flash to manual for the best results. I have used two Nikon speedlights and they work just fine on and off camera. I have not used a sync cord but I cannot see there being a problem doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The point is that Nikon flash extension cables are stright-through passive ones that use the same cntacts as Leica does. So they can be used for Leica flashes on Leica cameras. (or should, i don't own a Q)

To make it even more confusing, with Auto-ISO ON the restrictions of point 1 above change.

In Normal Flash-Mode, Aperture-Priority Mode and manual ISO it won't go slower than 1/60th.

In Normal Flash-Mode, Aperture-Priority Mode and Auto ISO flash will go slower than 1/60th and fire.

In Normal Flash-Mode, Manual Mode (Q) flash will go slower than 1/60th and fire.

In addition there's no Auto-ISO value shown when the SF-40 is mounted and turned on - well, only ISO 100 is shown and THEN it won't fire.

But with Auto ISO OFF I face the mentioned restrictions in shutter speed.

I find it super-confusing.

We have a camera here that syncs up to 1/2000th so it should be like this: mount flash, set ambient compensation, set flash compensation and shoot.

What am I missing?

Could someone give instructions for an easy and predictable workflow for direct fill flash or indoor bounce please.

Thankyou

Edited by findranger

Got my SF40 today, and spent a few mins with it. Some quick observations:

1) The size is smaller than I'd imagined. Size was a concern when I was deciding between between SF26 and SF40, and I am pleased that the SF40 size seems just fine on the Q!

2) The only difference between the "A" mode and "TTL" mode seems to be the possibility of adjusting flash exposure compensation in TTL

3) With SF40 on the Q and in TTL mode, it looks like flash exposure compensation cannot be set from the in-camera menu. It can only be set using the dial on SF40. Once it is set on the flash itself, the menu does correctly show the set value

4) Glad to see that SF40 seems to work just fine wired off-camera using my Nikon SC-29 cable (both TTL, and 1/2000sec sync). Point 3 above still applies when SF40 is connected to Q via Nikon SC-29.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Anyone else notice the Leica SF40 exposure dials move too easily? Shooting with flash on camera it seems top part of my cheek easily turns the exposure comp dial. Kind of a bummer for a $500 flash.

Quite agree. I had to resort to a bit of black plastic sticky tape. I know Leica do not make it but it has the red dot and a price to match. Most disappointing and quite a let down. I try to avoid using it unless essential and not enough available light.

• 7 months later...