What colour management setting do you use?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I'm just curious to know what colour management settings other Leica Q users are using (if any)?

I currently keep mine set to

Contrast - Medium High

Saturation - Standard

Sharpness - Medium High

Has anyone noticed much differences when they vary the settings?  Obviously adjustments can be made afterwards in Lightroom but I'm just interested in input from others

Soho Kid

Never higher than standard except for BW for which I can put contrast in high, depending on the type of pic.

The standard sharpness is already very sharp, sometimes I put it lower when I want to give softness and poetry to an image.

Now I think everyone should do as he feels for the type of pic he his up to.

Welcome to the forum, Sohokid.

I capture DNG files which allows a wide range of change, if necessary, in PP. So, while shooting I set AWB for travel and use Custom WB for specific subjects using calibrated neutral gray card for accurate colour.

Thank you WDA

I'm new to Leica after using Canon for many years and I love the quality of the images which the Leica Q produces.  they look so different to what my Canon 5D and a 35mm price was producing and I just can't put my finger on why they look so different... maybe just the Leica look I guess!

I've read differing information on the pictures settings so just wondered what everyone else is using.  The high contrast really does look good when in the Monochrome mode but I think I may try them all as standard and look at the differences.

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forum, Soho Kid,

you are right, the look of Leica is much different from Canon 5D. I myself use both camras.

With the Leica Q it is much easierand I do not use any special custom settings when shooting. In pp I do minimal adjustments for clarity in landscape, reduce clarity for portrait. Landscape I shoot with f-stop 5.6  -  8, portrait with 2.8 or less. Sometimes I set the ISO on Auto as in street, People or shots in the evening with artificial light. etc. This depends on the situation.

Usually you can say the Leica Q needs very little proccessing if not being confronted with hard tricky light situations. 

you will surely find your own way to get a smooth quick handling. Good luck and have fun!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome to the Forum, Soho Kid,

you are right, the look of Leica is much different from Canon 5D. I myself use both camras.

With the Leica Q it is much easierand I do not use any special custom settings when shooting. In pp I do minimal adjustments for clarity in landscape, reduce clarity for portrait. Landscape I shoot with f-stop 5.6  -  8, portrait with 2.8 or less. Sometimes I set the ISO on Auto as in street, People or shots in the evening with artificial light. etc. This depends on the situation.

Usually you can say the Leica Q needs very little proccessing if not being confronted with hard tricky light situations. 

you will surely find your own way to get a smooth quick handling. Good luck and have fun!

I still use my Nikon D800 and four months ago I moved from Fuji X-Pro2 to the Q. In my limited experience of the Q (and Leica) I would say the above is pretty sound advice. I have found that my previous post processing techniques can so easily result in over processed Q images. I need to hold back!

• Like 2

Are you really convinced of the Q's jpegs? I am not. I am fine with all but the green tones. I can't help but what I see differs a lot from for example the jpegs from my x2. And the latter is much much more natural from my point of view.

Just my 2 cents

-tk