De Vere 54 - info needed?

pgk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, for a number of reasons (the least of which is actually using it), I have acquired a De Vere 54 (5" x 4" & half-plate enlarger) which I would guess is the better part of 60 years old. They really don't make things like they used to. Its a cold cathode type and much to my astonishment it still switches on and works! The ancient transformer and cardboard mounted tube are very dodgy by today's H&S obsessed standards I must admit. Apart from accumulated dirt the only thing 'wrong' with the enlarger is lack of a baseboard ad flaking paint on the aluminium head (obviously didn't use etch primer and heating/cooling cycles have taken their toll over the years). 

What puzzles me is the partially liquid filled plastic lens below the tube. Should it be fully filled and if so what with? Does anyone here know?

Are you sure that "partially liquid filled" item is supposed to have ANY liquid in it? Sounds like it just got wet during storage and something pooled in the bottom-most part.

Unless it is a leveling device? I see some web pictures (can't provide links, protected on picclicks) that show something from DeVere that looks like a fluid ball level - i.e. you place it on the negative stage, and on the baseboard, and the air bubble centers if either is "level" in both X and Y directions, ensuring the film and baseboard are parallel.

Something like (in function if not details) the green part of this: https://static.bhphoto.com/images/images250x250/1232990339000_429980.jpg

Edited by adan
  • Like 1

Are you sure that "partially liquid filled" item is supposed to have ANY liquid in it?

Yes - it looks original and is only partially filled now so may need 'topping up' - with water I assume. It seems to be clear plastic. De Vere 54s were built from 1952-1960 so I am unsure what the plastic would be.

Liquid in lenses - sounds highly suspicious. Unless we hear otherwise from someone qualified, I think you will be looking for another lens.

It may be redundant in the long term - see below.

Do you plan to use the De Vere?

Originally I bought it to make into a talking point and, by adding an easel and an led bulb in the head, I intended to use it for displaying fibre based prints made by one of the photographers who supplies his beautiful handprints to the gallery. However it appears that there are ways of modifying the head by replacing the cold cathode with an led panel which sound both interesting and quite cheap. The build quality is superb and everything works, or unscrews easily enough - given that its around 60 years old I'm amazed. SoI may eventually commission it - oddly enough I also picked up a 5" x 4" carrier for it cheaply and there are others appearing on ebay. Its a no frills enlarger but that's where I started so it's not a problem.

Here's a snap of the inside of the head and the liquid filled lens (top right, with huge 'bubble'):

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

OK! Am I correct in thinking that that "lens" with bubble has a translucent bottom ("down" in your picture - sitting on the background paper)?

I found this article on converting a 54 to LED panel lighting. It does indeed mention that the author saw "signs" of his head's lens/diffuser having been filled with water at one time - apparently no water was left when he acquired his.

https://www.jonathangazeley.com/2014/06/further-modifications-to-the-de-vere-54/

He also mentions having trouble with evenness of illumination, with the head in the condition he found it (no water) so it sounds like the plastic/water thingy was likely a "water lens" condenser (or perhaps diffuser) - not to make it a "condenser" enlarger, but simply to distribute the light more evenly over the negative as the last step in the lighting path.

In any event - his had lost its water altogether, and in converting it to an LED panel, he doesn't seem to have tried to refill it. Which is probably a good plan with 65-year-old wiring!! I wouldn't want water sloshing around in an electrical device with apparently no grounding/earthing of the metal casing!

Anyway - take what you will from that article...

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Andy. Yes it seems to be a sort of plastic 'condenser' lens and hopefully it is just water inside - looks as though it might once have been refilled and resealed through a small hole in the side but it has partially leaked. I was thinking I might just get a custom led lightbox built (actually not that expensive) to fit inside but I'll have to dismantle and clean out the insulation, transformer - which works but does look iffy - and tube before I decide what to do. The head itself is a solid aluminium casting fixed to the lower section by two small screws - somewhat held together by gravity

I used DeVere 54's and can confirm they should have water/liquid inside, and if you held the heads on their side it would never be 'full'. The DeVere is the Rolls Royce when it comes to large format because the cold cathode head produces very even and gentle light, allowing the subtly of tones in the negative to shine through. Converting the head would be barbaric. But using a cold cathode head does require some adaptation, either negatives need to be processed for more contrast and/or paper needs to be a grade or two higher. But it's well worth a session in the darkroom running some tests. And for similar reasons the diffuse light source in an Epson scanner isn't great for scanning 35mm so the cold cathode head isn't the best for printing 35mm.

• Like 1

Converting the head would be barbaric.

It would be possible to convert without changing anything so that the cold cathode could be put back in without problems - I'm doubtful about obtaining a replacement cold cathode tube  to be honest or using the transformer which looks ancient and somewhat past its prime :huh: . I used to have a 23 cold cathode years ago - a more modern one - so I've used this illuminant before. Its cleaned up well - I may even see about repainting the aluminium housing. 

• 4 months later...