time-lapse with Ms

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

since the multi function grip of the Ms gives also the possibility to power an M for a quite long time, did anybody ever did a time-lapse with an M camera?

i realize this may not be the number 1 reason to buy or use an M for still, the option to do so would be nice.

so would be there any possibility to control an M to make pictures at specific intervals? other than just plug in a cable release and let the camera take pictures?

thx for your help

cheers

mirko

Hi all,

since the multi function grip of the Ms gives also the possibility to power an M for a quite long time, did anybody ever did a time-lapse with an M camera?

i realize this may not be the number 1 reason to buy or use an M for still, the option to do so would be nice.

so would be there any possibility to control an M to make pictures at specific intervals? other than just plug in a cable release and let the camera take pictures?

thx for your help

cheers

mirko

There is no in built intervelometer in M240 (M10 has) therefore you will need to trip the shutter yourself every N second using cable by i) manually (yes, I have done it successfully for clouds timelapse) or ii) by using mechanical intervelometer (google it, they are not cheap and claim to work). If you want timelapse of stars in the night then you have a very simple and elegant solution. Simply use the C drive mode and lock the shutter using cable. Now in ISO 800, shutter will trip every 20 sec (with 20sec LENR in between). I find it very convenient for shooting timelapse of stars in the night. With fully charges battery it will take upward of 800 pictures. That is more than couple of hours. Generally you don't need that many shots for 10sec timelapse.

Of course there is no assembling of individual shots in timelapse movie inside camera body. You need to do it externally in post. I simply use Microsoft movie maker. 

• Like 2

The Leica image shuttle program for Mac or PC will remotely control the M through the Multifunction Grip and it does have intervalometer settings. In fact, if you get the power cord for the Multifunction Grip and have your laptop plugged in, you can basically run a timelapse until you fill your SD card.

This has been on my list of things to do, but unfortunately I have not had nice enough weather during my few attempts to leave my M and my laptop sitting outside for that long.

I finally had some nice weather while out in the country this weekend. Here's a test video I put together using the Leica M typ 240 with Multifunction Handgrip tethered to my laptop running Leica Image Shuttle 3 software. I set it to take 480 frames at 5 second intervals. (If you run the video at 24fps, then use multiples of 24 to estimate how many seconds of video you'll get.)

I left the camera at f8, auto shutter, ISO 200.

• Like 2