Leica Combination Case Identification Needed

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Same as above: open case showing 90mm Elmarit.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Now a different insert:  Insert I, which has already been shown in two examples.  Clockwise from upper-right again:  35mm Summilux with goggles; 90mm Elmarit; 28mm Summaron; film and flash; 135 Elmar; DR Summicron specs; Leica M3 with DR Summicron and Leicameter.

(A VIOOH finder with 28mm attachment would need to go in the front pocket, in order to accommodate the 28 Summaron).

The elastic band on this one is a bit loose, certainly unable to hold a second Leica M body securely (I might need to replace it).

The triangular lever at upper right allows attaching and detaching the goggled 35mm Summilux without having to rotate the lens itself:  a clever design! 

• Like 1

Now a rather unique example, unlisted as far as I know in any catalogues, so maybe a prototype?  The Combination Case DNA is certainly there, with the front-folding opening, but everything is much more compact.

Here is the outside: opening is by two clasping buttons on the side held against the body.  

• Like 1

Inside seen empty.  Note the belt on the lower left, which allows extracting the item stored in that spot by folding behind it, then being pulled.

• Like 1

View when full.  Clockwise from top right:  135mm Elmar; 28mm Summaron in the little space beneath; DR Summicron specs; VIOOH finder with 28mm attachment; 90mm Elmar collapsible; Leica M3 with DR Summicron and Leicameter.

The clasp buttons on the right allow graduating the depth of the holder to accommodate different focal lengths.

Edited by M9reno
  • Like 1

A 35mm Summaron has been substituted for the VIOOH on the bottom left.  Retraction of the lens is by pulling the little belt.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In use, in principle exactly like the Combination cases seen before on this thread.

• Like 1

Small and handy.  Why wasn't this ever marketed?

• Like 1

I'm thinking the compartment on the back right (#21) is for the VIOOH Universal Finder.  In Post #9, if you read the contents for the Insert III (for the IIIg), it suggests that finder for that rectangular compartment.

The case in the original post has nickel hardware like that in #20.  Neither the case in #15 nor the case for #17, have a filter compartment but case #20 does.  Looks like many different variations.  

I think this case was designed with screw mount lenses in mind and could be used with either screw and bayonet mount.  The small lens cup in front might be provided for the 50mm lens while another lens is attached.  Interesting speculation.  I don't think we will ever know unless some factory literature is discovered.

Edited by rck281

I'm thinking the compartment on the back right (#21) is for the VIOOH Universal Finder.  In Post #9, if you read the contents for the Insert III (for the IIIg), it suggests that finder for that rectangular compartment.

The case in the original post has nickel hardware like that in #20.  Neither the case in #15 nor the case for #17, have a filter compartment but case #20 does.  Looks like many different variations.  

I think this case was designed with screw mount lenses in mind and could be used with either screw and bayonet mount.  The small lens cup in front might be provided for the 50mm lens while another lens is attached.  Interesting speculation.  I don't think we will ever know unless some factory literature is discovered.

You will see the VIOOH is already included in Post 9, directly below and in front of the IIIg (attached to one of the accessory shoes).

The rectangular compartment is in any case too narrow for much else besides filters (much as the Universal Case Insert I illustrated in Luigi's post 10, by the number 3).

I see what you mean about the dual purpose of the mystery insert, but the decisive factor in my view is the size of the camera compartment: just the right size for a Leica M with Leicameter, and too big for anything else (the camera would just wobble around).

Not to beat this subject to death, but the attachment below was included with my EBYOO case as shown in Post #16.  Don't know the purpose of it.

• 1 month later...

The "mystery? case as shown in posts 1,15, and 17 has been identified.  It is a Universal Carrying Case II with insert 1.  It is part number 14803.  Notice that this case doesn't have the slot across the front for the 39mm filters.  Attached is the literature on the case.  This is later that the EBKOO case and is in a 1964 catalog.

Edited by rck281
  • Like 2

Here is another variation of the Leica Combination Case with with Insert II, Part Identification EBDOO

In the case is a M3 with Leica-Meter MC, one 200mm f/4.5 TELYT lens, a VISOFLEX I housing, 45 degree Focusing Magnifier PEGOO, a double cable release, five filters for the 200mm TELYT, a 135mm HEKTOR with short focus mount, and my 50mm f/2.0 Summicron.  Also included are 5 39mm filters for the 50mm, a standard cable release, and film cans.

• Like 4