Leica Combination Case Identification Needed

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently acquired the Combination Case show in the attached pictures.  Can anyone help identify this case?  I found a second similar one on a popular web site but that owner didn't know what kind of camera it was for.  I believe it is for a screw thread camera.  I originally thought it was an EBKOO for a IIIg but i found a picture of that case in some Leica literature and it is slightly different.  Any ideas?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You can either edit your original post, or simply post better pictures in another post in this thread.  Hey, don't worry about it.  We all learn something new every day, and we all had to learn how to post pictures too.

If you want to post some higher quality, larger pictures, you can also use third-party image hosting web sites too.  Lately, I've been using Flickr.com, but I used to use PhotoBucket, but they changed their hosting policies recently, which broke a lot of my older shared pictures on the few web sites I comment on.  There are threads on this web site that provide instructions on how to post pictures, so just look around for those.

Welcome, and I hope you can post some better images, because I'm as curious about your cases as anyone.  I've always been intrigued by them since I saw a picture in another thread of one of these combination cases with all its compartments and holders in use, holding the various LTM cameras and lenses that they were intended to hold.  Very intriguing!

Scott

This is a case for the M series camera, a 135mm lens, a duel range 35mm lens, another lens along with a Leitz flash. It dates back to the 1950s and the interior slides out and can be replaced with other inserts. It will also hold filters and the pocket in the front of the case can be used to store a light meter. I have a few of these and find them useful for displaying and storing M series items. They were very well made but by now usually the leather is dry unless stored carefully. If you scan onto eBay you will usually see a few displayed. Sometimes they even show the Leica items in their proper location.

• Like 2

George, thanks for answer.  At the risk of hijacking this thread, I would love to see a picture of how the camera, lenses, and flash would be carried in a case like this.  Can you give me any hints on where I might be able to research cases like this, and how they were used? 

I would really like to get a case to carry the Leica M3 kit that my wife's grandfather built up over 20 years, starting with the purchase of his new 1955 M3.  I received his original case, but it is just a velvet-lined leather box with a strap, and the lenses are free to jostle and scratch one another... not ideal, though certainly original to the era.

If anyone else can link cases like this with cameras, lenses, flashes, and filters stowed inside, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Scott

This is indeed a case dating back to the M3. The inserts were interchangeable, with about 3 - 4 layout options available, including one for the Visoflex I outfit. If I recall correctly, Leitz original order number for the case used to be 14800. Few years ago I took some photos of the case for another thread here and managed to dig them out of the depths of my hard drive.

The insert I have held two bodies, five lenses , film cans, filters and other paraphernalia. As far as I am concerned, it was the best case ever produced for the M series - solid, practical and versatile. Main advantage for me was the fact that the lid opened away from the body, giving a clear access to contents of the case.

The images have been re-sized few times and lost some their original 'sparkle'; also all lenses have IR cut-off filter as I owned an M8 at the time already..... Hopefully, this will provide some extra information.

Cheers,

Jan

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jan, thank you for posting these pictures! Now I really want to get one of these cases. This insert would fit my entire outfit perfectly.

Thanks again,

Scott

[Edit: I just realized the lid includes clips for the flash too. Brilliant!]

Edited by skucera

Jan, thank you for posting these pictures! Now I really want to get one of these cases. This insert would fit my entire outfit perfectly.

Thanks again,

Scott

[Edit: I just realized the lid includes clips for the flash too. Brilliant!]

Scott,

Actually, the lid has clips for three film cans, not for a flash. In my case one of those clips is missing - I removed it so that when the case was closed, the lid would not collide with a lens mounted on he M7 body.

Cheers,

Jan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the IIIg insert (officially Insert III EBSOO, or case EBKOO).  I believe it is somewhat rarer than the others, since the IIIg was made in relatively small numbers.  The larger lens holder will only fit the last version Hektor 135, not the Elmar 135.  In the smallest pocket is the 28 Summaron, and next to it the 35 Summaron.  Behind the Hektor is the 3-element Elmar 90.  A VIOOH sits below the IIIg.

I have used this case in the field recently, though significantly less loaded.  Only a 90/50/35, with pocket tripod, and ADVOO.

• Like 4

The insert for IIIG is indeed intriguing and probably very uncommon : the French catalog of 1961 does list it no more (and IIIG was de-listed same year, I think) : they were also the times of "code switching" 5-letters to 5-digits... so probably , looking at the above page from M9Reno and the page from 1961 catalog, it looks like EBYOO=14803 EBDOO=14804

And then again (catalog 1964 - USA) entered the Combination case model III, which has also the 2 bodies configuration showed by Jan.

France 1961 :

USA 1964

• Like 1

Btw...  looking at the descriptions, I'm rather surprised that Carryng Case III can accomodate the Telyt 280... looking at Jan's pictures, the internal height looks to be no much more than a M body... and the Telyt 280V2 is undoubtly longer...  but I suppose that if they have written 280, is because it fits ....Jan, what can you say about ?  (someday me too will find one of those cases... B) )

Thank you, Luigi, but let's be careful not to confuse Universal Carrying Case III with the Combination Case + inserts illustrated at the beginning of this thread and then by Jan and me.

The Universal Carrying Case III with its two inserts is a very different beast.  I have one, with both inserts, if it helps to illustrate it here.

However, looking back at the first insert illustrated in the OP, I see that it does not match any of the three illustrated in the pamphlet that I showed above.  It looks like it will fit an M with Leicameter, along with two rather big lenses (maybe an Elmarit 135 with goggles, or a Summicron 90), but it lacks the horizontal lens holders in Jan's Insert I.

Thank you, Luigi, but let's be careful not to confuse Universal Carrying Case III with the Combination Case + inserts illustrated at the beginning of this thread and then by Jan and me.

The Universal Carrying Case III with its two inserts is a very different beast.  I have one, with both inserts, if it helps to illustrate it here.

You're right, sorry... I wasn't quick to realize that 14808-807-815 are definitely different from what you displayed (maybe internal dimensions are similar, but the built in itself is another beast) 

Here is the IIIg insert (officially Insert III EBSOO, or case EBKOO).  I believe it is somewhat rarer than the others, since the IIIg was made in relatively small numbers.  The larger lens holder will only fit the last version Hektor 135, not the Elmar 135.  In the smallest pocket is the 28 Summaron, and next to it the 35 Summaron.  Behind the Hektor is the 3-element Elmar 90.  A VIOOH sits below the IIIg.

I have used this case in the field recently, though significantly less loaded.  Only a 90/50/35, with pocket tripod, and ADVOO.

I have a copy of the literature that shows the Combination Case with the 3 different inserts.  In fact, I have the Insert I case loaded with my M3 and 4 lenses.  The EBKOO case for the IIIg is very similar to the one in my original post.  I originally thought mine was a EBKOO case that had been modified by a previous owner -- until I found two other examples on a popular auction site that looked just like mine.  I am only aware of the three inserts that were described.  Is this a 4th insert?

Sorry but I am trying to learn how to upload photos.  I'm uploading what I hope to be improved images of my original post.

I saw two post on an auction site that had the same style insert (and it may have been a duplicate post since they were the same seller.)  The only difference was that the small tube on the left was rectangular in shape.  The rest was identical.  Also note, no filter holders.

Edited by rck281
  • Like 1

Now that I understand the requirements for image size.  Here is a couple of pictures of my EBYOO case with my M3 and 4 lenses.  I use the empty lens mount for my 50mm when changing lenses.  My father had this set up in 1958 and I have duplicated it during the last few years.

• Like 3

I found the picture of the insert that is nearly identical the original post. I believe the only difference is the square tube on the front left.

These cases do not have the filter compartment, mine is a different shade of brown, and the hardware is chrome or nickel instead of brass.

Edited by rck281
  • Like 1

I've been busy the last three weeks with house guests and then work, so imagine my surprise and delight to see all these excellent pictures from catalogs and actual cases that I've been really curious about the the last couple of months.  Now that I know that these cases were illustrated well in the old catalogs, I'm going to search for some PDF's to get more info on these cases.  Thank you all for these very informative posts!

Scott

• Like 1

A few more surprises.  Looking through my stuff I found a very similar insert to that illustrated in the OP.  Note the absence of a lens container on the left-hand side.  The container for the small lens also lacks the moulded support for the back cap seen in the first picture and Post 17.

Clearly in the 1950's Leica was experimenting with different designs for Combination Case inserts, or even manufacturing them to special order.

Edited by M9reno

Here is an attempt to fill this "mystery" insert.

From upper-right corner, clockwise:  leather E39 3xfilter case (I guess this frees up space elsewhere for other size filters, though all lenses seen here are E39); 135mm Elmar; 35mm Summaron; leather case with 90mm Elmarit; CEYOO flash; DR Summicron specs; Leica M3 with DR Summicron and Leicameter.

Various attempts to fit other equipment in the empty space to the left of the insert (e.g. leather case for goggled 35mm Summilux; Viso III) were unsuccessful.

Edited by M9reno