Code Name "Clooney"

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Whatever else, this could be a very interesting camera. When I passed on the M10 I thought that it would take quite a bit of doing to get me to buy another Leica. However, a T with an EVF...Most tempting. :(

• Like 4

Whatever else, this could be a very interesting camera. When I passed on the M10 I thought that it would take quite a bit of doing to get me to buy another Leica. However, a T with an EVF...Most tempting. :(

Or a Q with a L mount and APS-C sensor! I.e. a traditional form.

• Like 2

Any chance it could be a video-oriented camera? CL...Cine-L? APS-C = super35? With SL Leica got their feet wet in video and on Photokina 2016 they showed something that looked like an old-fashioned camcorder, but built with all sorts of components from current photo cameras. The SL EVF was one of the more striking ones. Add an IBIS a la GH-5 from partner Panasonic, the range of TL lenses and quite a video-system right there.

Just a thought...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CL will be a nice Compact SL for those do not want full frame.

Maybe we should not count on a new chicken until it's fully hatched and tested?

There might be some disappointed Leica enthusiasts (again) in a few months time if the usual contagious mini-hysteria is created now and we assume too much too soon. 

dunk 

• Like 6

Indeed - and no potential issues with the visoflex anymore.

It might be a Leica that's a video centric, a TL mount super 35mm camera.

I would say that with the TL and SL system capabilities, adding a focus puller dial on-body with a mechanical hard-stop distance dial to set the distance might be a game changer. After all, if I can set the distance from the top screen of the SL, what's to prevent Leica from adding a dial in distance feature on the camera body. In fact, they can even allow different focusing speeds as focusing is done thru focus by wire lenses smoothening out the operator's handling.

Started a list at Leica Soho. They don't know much more than what we've all read on the rumor sites, but like all things leica, if you are looking for get one in your hands sooner rather than later, better to get your name on the list now

Edited by zakzavada

Maybe we should not count on a new chicken until it's fully hatched and tested?

There might be some disappointed Leica enthusiasts (again) in a few months time if the usual contagious mini-hysteria is created now and we assume too much too soon.

dunk

That would be the last thing to anticipate. Leica might not offer something exactly people want, it rarely offer anything disappointing.

The only product that met with widespread disappointment on release was the XVario, largely because of the misdirected publicity campaign. Since then, Leica has addressed the problem completely by avoiding any publicity campaign  - it just releases products. Given the reasonable accuracy of the Leica Rumours site in recent years (it wasn't always the case) I suspect Leica drip feeds them a few hard facts in the months running up to a release.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

The only product that met with widespread disappointment on release was the XVario, largely because of the misdirected publicity campaign. Since then, Leica has addressed the problem completely by avoiding any publicity campaign  - it just releases products. Given the reasonable accuracy of the Leica Rumours site in recent years (it wasn't always the case) I suspect Leica drip feeds them a few hard facts in the months running up to a release.

So … Leica enthusiasts are mostly happy with the TL2 not being released with its anticipated/expected internal EVF?  Quite a few potential buyers including forum members have not bought it for this reason. And there was fairly widespread disappointment from actual TL2 buyers when the Viso problem became apparent and their cameras died. And now there is growing disappointment with the fact that the TL2's focus peaking is not so good. 

dunk  

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

That is not unusual with new releases - overblown expectations, overhyped reception of the shiny new-new! product, deep disappointment with the return to reality, realisation that the product is pretty good after all after a few weeks. 

Imagine a monkey discovering a shiny new apple in the tree, dropping it in disgust when finding it not much better to eat than the previous one, and ending up eating it as not too bad in the end. Typical Simian behaviour.

• Like 1

That is not unusual with new releases - overblown expectations, overhyped reception of the shiny new-new! product, deep disappointment with the return to reality, realisation that the product is pretty good after all after a few weeks. 

Imagine a monkey discovering a shiny new apple in the tree, dropping it in disgust when finding it not much better to eat than the previous one, and ending up eating it as not too bad in the end. Typical Simian behaviour.

Not quite the case with the TL2 … every buyer /potential buyer likely has quite reasonable expectations (not overblown expectations) that e.g. the focus peaking should be working with all lenses … after all, Leica has designed the TL/SL series (and the M240 series) with legacy lens users in mind.  I cannot fully achieve with my chosen TL2 projects using long lenses (i.e. longer than the current TL offerings) unless the focus peaking facility is working. 

It's all about 'reasonableness' … and we should reasonably expect Leica to have sorted the peaking anomaly prior to launch … that is why Leica employs beta testers (plural). 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire