Code Name "Clooney"

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If this is a TL2 equivalent feature wise, repackaged to be more like a Q with built in EVF, I may have to trade in my Q for this. If it’s that good! I personally would not buy if designed around SL or small DSLR look. Prefer the M look of the Q. And I love my T, but if this is just modified TL with hump for EVF or taller TL, not interested.

• Like 1

..am sure it will be underpowered in some way or the other so as not to infringe on sales of other products as you mentioned above

APS-C, not underpowered otherwise. To the contrary. To be able to infringe nicely on DSLR sales for sports and action. Edited by Chaemono

APS-C, not underpowered otherwise. To the contrary. To be able to infringe nicely on DSLR sales for sports and action.

Maybe 'underpowered' from a AF speed and accuracy standpoint.   Whatever they do release, I truly hope it can compete AF speed and accuracy wise with its competitors.  

I still don't understand how a AF camera can steal M10 camera sales - Given one is Auto and the other a manual rangefinder that takes some skill to use. Surely the market for a M body is totally different?.  For me whilst I'd be ok shooting an M10, I know I'd get frustrated missing shots (hey I miss shots with the slow AF on  the T and it drives me mad)  Is the forum suggesting that the bulk of M10 sales are purely to own a Leica and therefore wouldn't any Leica do if you just want the badge?  

There were certainly some M sales lost when the SL was launched - there a number of forum members who now use mainly the SL whereas they were M owners and users before. A big attraction was AF, in some cases because of eyesight difficulties, and they had been using the EVF with the M240. The temptation to jump ship would be even greater with something full frame and smaller than the SL. The temptation may be lessened if the AF is more like the TL2 than the SL.

Edited by LocalHero1953

Maybe 'underpowered' from a AF speed and accuracy standpoint.

Not. That’s the whole point of the CL. They present anything else but a camera with an AF system that has lightning fast acquisition time, crazy accuracy and excellent tracking on Nov. 22 and it will be DOA. They will be the laughing stock of the whole community. They might as well call the event “Das Unwesentliche” then. But that would be so un-Leica like. They did pretty well with the SL Mk I, so one can have complete confidence in their ability not to screw this up. What will be more interesting to see is if it’ll have a no blackout EVF. All I know is that people who have seen the camera are raving about it. And, yes, it is APS-C.
  • Like 1

that 18mm f2.8..looks exactly like the panasonic 20mm f1.7....but NO...leica will never release a superfast prime pancake lens..

same goes with this new camera..am sure it will be underpowered in some way or the other so as not to infringe on sales of other products as you mentioned above

The Panasonic 20mm is MFT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not. That’s the whole point of the CL. They present anything else but a camera with an AF system that has lightning fast acquisition time, crazy accuracy and excellent tracking on Nov. 22 and it will be DOA. They will be the laughing stock of the whole community. They might as well call the event “Das Unwesentliche” then. But that would be so un-Leica like. They did pretty well with the SL Mk I, so one can have complete confidence in their ability not to screw this up. What will be more interesting to see is if it’ll have a no blackout EVF. All I know is that people who have seen the camera are raving about it. And, yes, it is APS-C.

I hope you are right on all accounts!   

Personally I would already be happy with a joystick and a built-in EVF....

Less AF hunting and IBIS (the zooms are really pretty slow for indoors usage) would be nice as well...

If this mythical CL camera ever arrives the TL2 is dead in the water...

Edited by JorisV
  • Like 1

Just a guess but a Panasonic G9 is all but confirmed for the next week. Maybe we’ll see cues of tech to be included in the Cl, particularly the EVF.

Another guess is a more video-centric camera. This I highly doubt but just putting it out there.

• Like 1

Some years ago Leica had a project going. About that time the XPro1 arrived and the Leica plans were quickly shelved. I always wondered if the XPro1 stole some thunder from a Leica with similar capabilities.

Ideally for me would be an XPro2 styled camera that takes the TL lenses. But I think we'll probably get a Q styled TL body (ala XE3) or an X-Vario one. I'd also be happy with a mini SL that uses the same EVF, APSC sensor so I can get more reach from the SL zooms in an SL styled body. I have no idea........ I'm going to the Australian launch and we'll see if my wallet is affected after that.

Gordon

• Like 2

292 previous posts is too many for me to review.  Can someone summarize what is expected to be learned on what date in which countries?  Has LeicaRumors posted pictures from Malysia yet?

thanks, aficionados

scott

edit:  I'd love an APS-C unit with an L mount, IBIS and full compatibility with all TL, SL, and S lenses, including the ability to read, report and upgrade lens firmware.  Don't care if it is a X-T2-killer or an X-Pro2-killer, although the former makes more sense, since AF lenses are big, and the X-Pro2 works best with tiny lenses that focus fast, don't block the view, and don't resemble current Leica designs, like the best of the TL lenses.  I have both X-P2 and X-T2.  They are fun to shoot with, but not very dependable.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

Although the TL2 in general is an improvement the autofocus is IMHO still not where it should be in the year 2017...

With the Clooney it will be interesting to see how much of that is due to the body and how much due to the lenses themselves.

I just bought the 35mm, AF works fine in good light, it is unfortunately not so good in low light...

Although the TL2 in general is an improvement the autofocus is IMHO still not where it should be in the year 2017...

With the Clooney it will be interesting to see how much of that is due to the body and how much due to the lenses themselves.

I just bought the 35mm, AF works fine in good light, it is unfortunately not so good in low light...

If Clooney's AF is as good as suggested I would want to know why the TL2's AF is still so-so, when it was launched with a new sensor and processor so recently.

• Like 1