Code Name "Clooney"

Advertisement (gone after registration)

probably APS-C, 24MP, built in EVF..a  mix of Xvario and TL.

The key question, IMO, is whether it is APS-C or full frame.

If full frame, then it will set the cat among the pigeons among M owners, and will be seen as the new future of Leica. If APS-C, then it will cause less of a stir and will be less disruptive: a compact Leica for those who can't live with an add-on EVF on the TL2.

Das Wesentliche and Oskar's Legacy makes me think full frame, M-shape and a new beginning.

"CL", by analogy with it's forerunner, makes me think APS-C but more capable and more traditional than the TL2.

I tend towards the former at the moment.

The key question, IMO, is whether it is APS-C or full frame.

If full frame, then it will set the cat among the pigeons among M owners, and will be seen as the new future of Leica.

It's APS-C. You just answered your own question. Leica releases the M10 and a few months later releases another camera that cannibalises M sales, has many M owners dump their cameras, and sees new M10 sales drop precipitously. Right. Think "Leica is a business" not "what do Leica fanboys want."

If APS-C, then it will cause less of a stir...

Less of stir among M owners, yes, and hopefully enough of a stir in the market to warrant a big "Das Wesentliche" event. The only way an APS-C camera does that, IMO, is if it comes with lightening fast AF (acquisition time of somewhere in the range of 0.03 to 0.05 seconds depending on the lens), continuous shooting with full AF tracking, no blackout EVF (not sure about this one).

Das Wesentliche and Oskar's Legacy makes me think full frame, M-shape and a new beginning.

"CL", by analogy with it's forerunner, makes me think APS-C but more capable and more traditional than the TL2.

I tend towards the former at the moment.

You will be disappointed, I'm afraid.

Edited by Chaemono

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's APS-C. You just answered your own question. Leica releases the M10 and a few months later releases another camera that cannibalises M sales, has many M owners dump their cameras, and sees new M10 sales drop precipitously. Right. Think "Leica is a business" not "what do Leica fanboys want."

Interesting consideration. It would cut M sales for sure, but by replacing them with sales of the new body, which might be seen as having a better long term future than the M, and potentially a bigger market. The M series will always have a niche, but at some stage Leica has to decide if it wants to stay in that niche, or take the risk of breaking out.

As I say, I have no particular interest which way Leica jumps, as long as it survives and thrives as a producer of top class interesting cameras and lenses.

• Like 1

Interesting consideration. It would cut M sales for sure, but by replacing them with sales of the new body, which might be seen as having a better long term future than the M, and potentially a bigger market.

They need to amortize the R&D on the M10 first. This ain't gonna happen if they start cutting into their own M10 sales a few months after introduction. It's called stupid business practice and would get the management fired immediately (by Blackstone and the other owner). 

@dunk - it's logical deduction based on all the information at hand.  :)

They need to amortize the R&D on the M10 first. This ain't gonna happen if they start cutting into their own M10 sales a few months after introduction. It's called stupid business practice and would get the management fired immediately (by Blackstone and the other owner). 

@dunk - it's logical deduction based on all the information at hand.  :)

So when is the best time in the three year M cycle to introduce a competitor? A year after launch, like now? In another year's time, or just before a new M is launched? I suspect Leica has a longer term strategy than one, two or three year cycles - but of course I have no more insight to Leica's planning practice than anyone else.

So when is the best time in the three year M cycle to introduce a competitor? A year after launch, like now? In another year's time, or just before a new M is launched? I suspect Leica has a longer term strategy than one, two or three year cycles - but of course I have no more insight to Leica's planning practice than anyone else.

Ok, let me try it a different way. Blackstone is a financial investor. They are looking to exit and want to get more money out than what they put in. How do they do this? By increasing the valuation of the company. How does one increase the valuation of a company? By growing sales and margins. How does one grow sales and margin when the market isn't growing much? By introducing products that grow the TAM (total addressable market) and increase the SOW (share of wallet) with existing customers. Margins can increase through operating leverage (ie., scale). Growing the TAM implies not cannibalizing your own sales, ESPECIALLY not of a product that was just introduced. The amortization of capitalized R&D usually happens over the lifetime of the product which in this case, I would guess, is when a new M is introduced. So lets say roughly four years, maybe a bit longer with due to the Monochrome version. Introducing a product that cannibalizes M10 sales a few months after introduction not only shrinks sales but also lowers margins which leads to a lower valuation of the company. Blackstone ain't gonna like this. 

Leica's future relies on a profitable and sustainable product line of fully Autoable interchangable (zoom) lens system. Something to address the market of combonation of Sony fujifilm. At the dame time to maintain a strong M line.

L mount system is the answer. leica is on its course to perfect it. Regardless the currently successful SL + TL, Leica can maximize the success by introducing TL with BIEVF (albeit slightly larger body) or SL with smaller body (albeit less

capable).

I think CL form factor could be the answer for both. Imagine a CL line with a FF variation and a HF variation? The HF variation should have higher priority.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

It doesn't make sense to me that Leica would introduce something like the TL2 only 3 months after introducing the TL2............that would be just wrong and subject to a pissed off letter to Mr leica, unless of course they offer a tradein program for anyone who bought the TL2 say less than 3 months ago

Neil

that 18mm f2.8..looks exactly like the panasonic 20mm f1.7....but NO...leica will never release a superfast prime pancake lens..

same goes with this new camera..am sure it will be underpowered in some way or the other so as not to infringe on sales of other products as you mentioned above

Can you imagine that? That would have the DSLR competition laugh all the way to the bank...But, no, it won’t be that, I’m afraid (price point will be much lower, too, but above the TL2).

Edited by frame-it