Code Name "Clooney"

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just about to take my Rolex Datejust Oysterquartz to Rolex St James Piccadilly for a service which includes a new battery. The Oysterquartz watches were manufactured by Rolex for 25 years and have a strong following amongst Rolex enthusiasts and collectors.

dunk

Well, learn something new every day. Thought they were all mechanical. Mine is. No batteries! I suspect the quartz version were more economical? And, just looked up these watches, something like less than 25k made and was discontinued. Pretty sure all current watches made the past nearly 20 years are likely mechanical?

And btw, reason I bought a Rolex originally was I was SO tired of replacing batteries. I so don't miss that pain. But if the Rolex needs any service, costly! So far in 10 years, only needed service once which was due to my goofy tile accident.

Edited by Belle123

Well, learn something new every day. Thought they were all mechanical. Mine is. No batteries! I suspect the quartz version were more economical? And, just looked up these watches, something like less than 25k made and was discontinued. Pretty sure all current watches made the past nearly 20 years are likely mechanical?

And btw, reason I bought a Rolex originally was I was SO tired of replacing batteries. I so don't miss that pain. But if the Rolex needs any service, costly! So far in 10 years, only needed service once which was due to my goofy tile accident.

We're getting a bit off topic discussing Rolex watches but any mechanical watch including Rolex watches, should be serviced every 5 years minimum. If not serviced they will keep working but lubricants will have dried and moving parts will wear. And Rolex made many more quartz watches than just the 25K Oysterquartz models. … check out Rolex Cellini quartz models. 

dunk 

• Like 1

We're getting a bit off topic discussing Rolex watches but any mechanical watch including Rolex watches, should be serviced every 5 years minimum. If not serviced they will keep working but lubricants will have dried and moving parts will wear. And Rolex made many more quartz watches than just the 25K Oysterquartz models. … check out Rolex Cellini quartz models.

dunk

Well, I didn't start discussion on watches. And my crystal broke at about the 7 year mark so maybe I was fortunate as they serviced the watch when replaced the crystal, and I don't wear it all the time so probably can go a lot longer between services. Other battery power watches I have owned, battery died in a year and also I don't live near a jewelry store, so getting a wind up watch made total sense. Is a four hour round trip drive for me to any store that services these. Ditto to any stores that carry Leica.

Does it matter? The point was, is something well made, like a Leica. That's the point!!! You pay more for it, but is meant to last. Now.....that is on topic.

Edited by Belle123
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently rented a Q and found the EVF and LCD sub par for a $4200 camera .

I am surprised by your opinion. I think both are excellent. (Certainly much better than the current EVF for the TL2 and M10).

$4200  . . . that's just Leica.

I agree with miro. I didn't like the Q viewfinder at all, it felt weird. While the Visoflex makes the TL2 rather clumsy I very much prefer it.

Well, I didn't start discussion on watches. And my crystal broke at about the 7 year mark so maybe I was fortunate as they serviced the watch when replaced the crystal, and I don't wear it all the time so probably can go a lot longer between services. Other battery power watches I have owned, battery died in a year and also I don't live near a jewelry store, so getting a wind up watch made total sense. Is a four hour round trip drive for me to any store that services these. Ditto to any stores that carry Leica.

Does it matter? The point was, is something well made, like a Leica. That's the point!!! You pay more for it, but is meant to last. Now.....that is on topic.

Whoops that was me...  brand recognition and the way luxury brands are perceived was why I brought up the brand Rolex. I love my Submariner!

Back on topic - I'm looking forward to this announcement.  I tried shooting people/kids at a party with the T on Sunday and maaaan it left me feeling most frustrated.  Part of it was lens choice - I think I should have gone for the zoom and not the 23mm and the AF response drove me mad. I will say whilst the pics are crap from a out of focus and composition angle, the IQ is awesome. But for me,  I do need that AF speed and accuracy, I'm not talking DSLR speed.. just a bit of an improvement would be better.

Edited by mmanda
  • Like 1

I tried shooting people/kids at a party with the T on Sunday and maaaan it left me feeling most frustrated.  Part of it was lens choice - I think I should have gone for the zoom and not the 23mm and the AF response drove me mad. I will say whilst the pics are crap from a out of focus and composition angle, the IQ is awesome. But for me,  I do need that AF speed and accuracy, I'm not talking DSLR speed.. just a bit of an improvement would be better.

You are used to Sony speed!  The TL2 will make you much much happier, but it is still not "Sony fast". 

Rob

You are used to Sony speed!  The TL2 will make you much much happier, but it is still not "Sony fast". 

Rob

Would you believe I took the Sony with me too and my crappy 24-70 ( I think thats the right zoom, its the kit lens)  failed on me! The lens motor was making an awfully loud racket.    I left the Zeiss 55 1.8 and home too!  If I'd had that with me, I'd have been perfectly content.

Oh and I lost the lens cap on the TL 23mm  - I should have used my iPhone 8   :unsure:

Edited by mmanda

this pic feels like a Q+TL

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The rumored new Leica mirrorless camera with EVF and code name “Clooney” could be called “Leica CL”  

https://leicarumors.com/2017/10/19/the-rumored-new-leica-mirrorless-camera-with-evf-and-code-name-clooney-could-be-called-leica-cl.aspx/

This is the exact same "camera" that people were speculating in 2012 as T....Now we know it was not "T"!... The same camera is surfacing again as "clooney"! ;)

Unless Leica was already working on this camera 5 years ago! LOL

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Louis
  • Like 1

Interesting, the CL was a compact camera, which seems to go against a widespread expectation that the new camera could be a mini-SL...

The rumors initially also talked about an announcement in November, now it is "still this year"...

We will see it when it gets here... 

dunk 

I have a German watch (Sinn), German car (BMW) , German camera (Leica), German washing machines & tumble dryers (Bosch)

A pure coincidence but amusing

The good news is that they are all going to a 3 year service interval - so that's very convenient !!!! LOL

Edited by colonel

• 2 weeks later...