Code Name "Clooney"

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How likely is it that Leica will nail this new release and give their customers what they want? I'm not usually a cynical person, but for a lot of Leicas releases there does seem to be more unhappy people than happy :)

If that were true , Leica would not now be valued at 1 Billion $'s !

As for the upcoming CL or QL or VL , or whatever it's called , Leica will stick it !

the interesting point is that in my feeling the most unhappy Leica user dont even own the product they report negative feedback.

Just because there is a crowd of notoric nay sayers doesnt mean that this has to be a representative opinion of the total crowd.

If Leica products are as flawed as some people believe and if there were as few customers, it would be a wonder that Leica still exists.

Yes, there is room for improvement in some areas, but also most products have some special feautures (optical quality, build quality, simple intuitive user interface,...) which should not be neglected.

So I am not that negative about the next release, whenevr it comes

Very true … but they are usually unhappy Leica non-users …  who have not used a modern digital Leica … and whose raison d'être is to criticise new Leica products … again and again … it's their life's mission! 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

Those who harp on what's wrong (rather than what's right) just tend to be more vocal.

Rob

Thats true Rob... some will find fault in everything and mostly not take the time to research why things the way they are!

the interesting point is that in my feeling the most unhappy Leica user dont even own the product they report negative feedback.

Just because there is a crowd of notoric nay sayers doesnt mean that this has to be a representative opinion of the total crowd.

If Leica products are as flawed as some people believe and if there were as few customers, it would be a wonder that Leica still exists.

Yes, there is room for improvement in some areas, but also most products have some special feautures (optical quality, build quality, simple intuitive user interface,...) which should not be neglected.

So I am not that negative about the next release, whenevr it comes

I would imagine the vast majority of happy Leica users do not frequent forums on the internet and just take photos, enjoying their equipment.  If you venture into other forums not this one, there's a lot of extreme negativity 

Very true … but they are usually unhappy Leica non-users …  who have not used a modern digital Leica … and whose raison d'être is to criticise new Leica products … again and again … it's their life's mission! 

dunk 

Reminds me of the Rolex brand.  When people initially get into watches,  they dismiss Rolex as being the watch everyone wears, lacks exclusivity and they fight against wanting to collect or own watches from the brand. But to truly appreciate watches one needs understand Rolex and the significant part the brand has made in the history of the wrist watch.  They usually realise this later on when they see more vintage pieces, the cost and desirability. Even the company itself is quite interesting.  And hell, they are just damned fine and good watches!

The No. 1 critic on Leica is the price. It is a reflection how it is desired. Many other critics are the morphing of this psychological problem as a cover up.

+1.  I would agree to that.  People will bring up mediocre sensors and a dozen other reasons as to why they do no like Leica but deep down for most people there is one reason and that is the price... 

• Like 1

+1.  I would agree to that.  People will bring up mediocre sensors and a dozen other reasons as to why they do no like Leica but deep down for most people there is one reason and that is the price... 

I tend to have one solution to that problem. If I've done my research well and waited for issues to crop up and go away: save my pennies, get what I need and tell myself "It's a better camera than you deserve, you need 3 years to master it, 3 years to enjoy it more and then figure out what's next."

I think ownership over 6 - 9 years is a good way of dividing the cost of ownership such that it becomes reasonable.

• Like 3

Reminds me of the Rolex brand.  When people initially get into watches,  they dismiss Rolex as being the watch everyone wears, lacks exclusivity and they fight against wanting to collect or own watches from the brand. But to truly appreciate watches one needs understand Rolex and the significant part the brand has made in the history of the wrist watch.  They usually realise this later on when they see more vintage pieces, the cost and desirability. Even the company itself is quite interesting.  And hell, they are just damned fine and good watches!

@mmanda - I have to admit that I was in this boat some years ago.  To me, Rolex was the watch of the nouveau riche poseur, the watch that people bought when they came into money and wanted to flaunt it.  But the designs are classic and unmistakably attractive, and as I learned more and more about their history, quality, and long term user reports, my opinion changed completely.  I once met a 60-something year old man who was wearing a vintage red Sea-Dweller.  He'd bought it new and it had accompanied him for decades of scuba diving and travel, and he didn't really know just how valuable they are today.  There is something very romantic about a high quality watch that outlasts jobs, international travel, even wars and marriages.  Due to their design and durability, Rolex watches tend to go the distance, rather like a Leica M.

Edited by Archiver
  • Like 3

This reminds me my wife's handbags. Her favorite bag has been way over 10 years. I would not mention the brand name, but it did cost an unnecessary fortune in my old opinion. It is so durable and seems never outdated. Well, yes, it has been sent back to the original store to restore to the original condition and paid only the shipping and handling fee.

She has some friends with different style , whom like to replace the hand bag every year to catch up the newest style, usually much cheaper brands. Needless to say the total amount of spending is much higher.

The overall satisfaction? My observation is it is much like Rolex or Leica vs. something else.

• Like 3

People are funny about costs vs quality. And a Rolex is non digital, so no battery costs either. Mine is still like new after 10 years. But heaven help you if take it off and it falls off on a tile floor, smashing the crystal face! That little mistake cost me a bundle to repair! I nearly had kittens when got the repair bill. However, I don't plan on replacing ever. But if it gets dropped again, I don't deserve it!

For me, Leica gear is in the same ball park. You buy it for the quality and possible to last a life time. I could be absolutely satisfied with what I have now, and not upgrade to the latest.

• Like 1

People are funny about costs vs quality. And a Rolex is non digital, so no battery costs ??? either. Mine is still like new after 10 years. But heaven help you if take it off and it falls off on a tile floor, smashing the crystal face! That little mistake cost me a bundle to repair! I nearly had kittens when got the repair bill. However, I don't plan on replacing ever. But if it gets dropped again, I don't deserve it!

For me, Leica gear is in the same ball park. You buy it for the quality and possible to last a life time. I could be absolutely satisfied with what I have now, and not upgrade to the latest.

Just about to take my Rolex Datejust Oysterquartz to Rolex St James Piccadilly for a service which includes a new battery. The Oysterquartz watches were manufactured by Rolex for 25 years and have a strong following amongst Rolex enthusiasts and collectors.

dunk