Code Name "Clooney"

on both the SL and T, i use M lenses..and shoot at either f2 or f1.4, always wide open

focus peaking on the SL puts you in the ballpark..but cannot differentiate easily between e.g nose and eyes...hence i  always zoom in..and almost always have to quickly readjust focus.

on the T i just look for the shimmer in the 020 EVF..its very accurate.

Thanks.  A said up till now I have been quite happy with it but I have shot mostly outside and not so shallow depth of field.  I would be interested to know if anybody had a different experience.  

on both the SL and T, i use M lenses..and shoot at either f2 or f1.4, always wide open

focus peaking on the SL puts you in the ballpark..but cannot differentiate easily between e.g nose and eyes...hence i  always zoom in..and almost always have to quickly readjust focus.

on the T i just look for the shimmer in the 020 EVF..its very accurate.

I find I can nail it easily on both cameras without zooming in . . . and without using focus peaking either - I honestly think that it's an unnecessary crutch that was useful when EVFs were less good - the SL EVF especially I find much easier to read with the focus peaking OFF

• Like 5

I find I can nail it easily on both cameras without zooming in . . . and without using focus peaking either - I honestly think that it's an unnecessary crutch that was useful when EVFs were less good - the SL EVF especially I find much easier to read with the focus peaking OFF

Using longer focal lengths (e.g. 280mm, 360mm) the TL2's unmagnified cues are not as distinct as the T's, but still usable and no less accurate.  I do find magnification sometimes useful with the TL2, though, whereas with the T I did not need it at all.

As the price of the SL has been discounted recently maybe a replacement will be introduced in November.

Most probably a reaction to Sony Alpha 9. Competing against a professional grade mirrorless system with OIS and 20 fps is a tough nut if you are also 30% more expensive. Now at least the price difference is neglectible.

No Leica has no plans to renew it now. I expect a smaller "Mini-SL" body with APS-C sensor of the TL2 and EVF integrated!

It could play the same role as the APSC Canon 7D's in respect to the FF 5D's.

I would love that as long as it has the SL handling and layouts.

[...] and MFT is sure to evolve. I have some nice lenses now :).

Always the optimist. :) Which will become the limiting factor, lens or sensor - or has it already become so?

Edited by pico

You have all forgotten the X-Vario ....... released 4 years ago and now gone but not forgotten. Said by at least one high up in Leica to be his favourite camera.

Re-incarnated in a Q body with 24mpx sensor in-bulit EVF, with a similar fixed zoom lens and much zippier handling & AF etc it could be a VERY nice camera indeed. 

An SL derivative that diverts from the SL sales would be a bad move, and the TL2 already fits that niche. Q variants seem a bit pointless, and the Q itself is hard to improve. 

The M is stuck in a specific niche, and again derivatives with built in EVF's etc will only take sales from the main M line.

Clooney needs to fill a gap that doesn't take sales from other product lines ..... an X-Vario update is the only logical answer....  :mellow:

• Like 4

You have all forgotten the X-Vario ....... released 4 years ago and now gone but not forgotten. Said by at least one high up in Leica to be his favourite camera.

Re-incarnated in a Q body with 24mpx sensor in-bulit EVF, with a similar fixed zoom lens and much zippier handling & AF etc it could be a VERY nice camera indeed. 

An SL derivative that diverts from the SL sales would be a bad move, and the TL2 already fits that niche. Q variants seem a bit pointless, and the Q itself is hard to improve. 

The M is stuck in a specific niche, and again derivatives with built in EVF's etc will only take sales from the main M line.

Clooney needs to fill a gap that doesn't take sales from other product lines ..... an X-Vario update is the only logical answer....  :mellow:

I have never thought that it would just be a TL2 with a built in evf.

Agree with your logic.

Am I correct that it is rumored to be an interchangeable lens camera? If so I'm not sure how to put it into a category or niche according to an existing model,  i.e is it called an "X line interchangeable lens camera"? or a "mini SL"? or "Mini M with evf" (Then again, does it really matter?)

(Would it not make economic sense for Leica to make it facilitate interchangeable lenses so as to boost sale of lenses?)

Edited by ropo54

Maybe. Sounds to me like a D-Lux type 109 with bigger sensor.

Yet, a mini SL makes  even more sense to me. Every company has their semi-pro APSC line that can share lenses with their bigger brothers. Many photographers buy one of each, because they complement so well (I would). Some start with the smaller one and make the step up at some point, sticking to the brand because they already own lenses.

The TL2, as good as it is optically, shoots like an iPhone or needs an external EVF. Certainly a cool camera, but sales might have taught Leica that they need a somewhat affordable, small "pro" model to get the ball rolling.

Of course this is all speculation, but that's the fun of it :)

• Like 3

Clooney needs to fill a gap that doesn't take sales from other product lines ..... an X-Vario update is the only logical answer.... :mellow:

Spectacular if the XV lens can be updated for this.

Edited by graphlex

The TL2, as good as it is optically, shoots like an iPhone or needs an external EVF. Certainly a cool camera, but sales might have taught Leica that they need a somewhat affordable, small "pro" model to get the ball rolling.

Do you mean that as a criticism of the TL2? I wonder if Leica has just not worked out how to market this camera.

As a step up from a smartphone it does quite a good job - as long as you don't try to use it as a classical camera. I recently switched to a Huawei P10 partly out of curiosity about its Leica-influenced camera. It has a superb interface, and 12mp raw and 20mp monochrome jpg sensors. As a consequence I have been using it much more often as my carry-any-where-as-long-as-I-have-a-pocket camera. In reasonable light and with the limitations of focal length and aperture, it takes excellent images - but obviously you have to use it phone-style without a viewfinder. I was in two minds about getting the viso when I ordered the TL2. In the end I did, mainly to use with the 60mm. Otherwise I mainly use the TL2 with the 23mm and no EVF, shooting like a phone - a small package that is literally pocketable (but not really practically so if you want to put your keys in the same pocket). And for that focal length of lens where focusing is not critical, one can compose easily on the rear screen. I ordered the TL2 knowing a Clooney with built-in EVF might be round the corner, but I would rather have the smaller package of the TL2.

As a (big) step up from a smartphone, better in low light and better IQ, with a choice of lenses and EVF, the TL2 is excellent. When I want to put my serious face on and act like a real photographer, I have my M240 and SL :)

Edited by LocalHero1953

Do you mean that as a criticism of the TL2? I wonder if Leica has just not worked out how to market this camera.

Nope. I think it is an excellent camera. And the way you describe you're using it would be exactly the way I would use it. But it seems kind of strange to me to use it with the SL zooms for example, or the upcoming SL 75 and 90, where a Mini-SL-Clooney could be perfectly used as a smaller second body with an 1.5x extension factor. Of course this can be done with TL2 and external EVF, but my M taught me that those get lost and are a pain to constantly pop on and off. I would also appreciate a similar or ideally identical operating and menu structure between the two cameras I use. TL2 is very different to SL, forcing me to constantly re-think what is where to be found.

So no criticism. TL2 is a beautiful camera. If Clooney isn't what I hope for I might even buy one. As a compromise.

• Like 2

Having succombed and bought the EVF, I couldn't be happier. Two 24MP cameras, each sharing a mount and capable of taking all of my lenses - what's not to like?

I'll be interested to see what project Clooney is about - perhaps a variant of the TL2 and SL, with L mount and built in EVF, as everyone speculates. As I see it, Leica is pouring its future and its investment into this mount. I can't imagine them crowding their existing offerings. Is there really a gap between the SL & TL2?

I used to think there was. Now, I'm not so sure.

• Like 4