Code Name "Clooney"

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So … Leica enthusiasts are mostly happy with the TL2 not being released with its anticipated/expected internal EVF?  Quite a few potential buyers including forum members have not bought it for this reason. And there was fairly widespread disappointment from actual TL2 buyers when the Viso problem became apparent and their cameras died. And now there is growing disappointment with the fact that the TL2's focus peaking is not so good. 

dunk  

From recollection, this is not at the same level of disappointment as for the XVario. However good it is, it is not a "mini M".

Oddly, I decided to buy the TL2 despite the lack of internal EVF (in fact because of it - I guessed a built-in EVF version would be on its way - see my posts before the latest rumours - and reckoned it would be bigger than I would want). I made the decision after the viso issue was recognised but not fully sorted (I reckoned it WOULD be sorted by the time I got mine). And I suspect the focus peaking will be correctable in firmware.

Edit: I understand, having seen how you use the TL2, that the focus peaking issue is a real problem for your use, so I hope it IS correctable in f/w.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 3

Not quite the case with the TL2 … every buyer /potential buyer likely has quite reasonable expectations (not overblown expectations) that e.g. the focus peaking should be working with all lenses … after all, Leica has designed the TL/SL series (and the M240 series) with legacy lens users in mind.  I cannot fully achieve with my chosen TL2 projects using long lenses (i.e. longer than the current TL offerings) unless the focus peaking facility is working. 

It's all about 'reasonableness' … and we should reasonably expect Leica to have sorted the peaking anomaly prior to launch … that is why Leica employs beta testers (plural). 

dunk 

I totally agree focus peaking for all lenses should be included (even though I mainly use the TL with TL lenses in AF mode)

I had focus peaking on the Sonys I had - I found it unreliable. I'd rather just use the magnification. I don't have the EVF - I'm wondering if a new one is in the wings somewhere. I will get one some time. Generally, I feel it spoils the camera, but then I like to have the canera to my eye.

So, no Dunk, I'm not unhappy and I'd be surprised if focus peaking was generally that big of a deal - I doubt it's very accurate.

• Like 1

So, no Dunk, I'm not unhappy and I'd be surprised if focus peaking was generally that big of a deal - I doubt it's very accurate.

Focus peaking works pretty well on the SL as far as I am concerned,,,  Do you have a different opinion?

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't use it. The EVF on the SL is so good that I find I can nail the focus just using the full screen. If I need the check it accurately (using the 75 Summilux or Noctilux wide) I press the joystick.

Thanks.  A said up till now I have been quite happy with it but I have shot mostly outside and not so shallow depth of field.  I would be interested to know if anybody had a different experience.  

Common guys - what do you expect Leica is presenting ? it cannot be a TL3 with EVF included - For me it is obvious that they present a new camera, in the shape of X 113 / Q with simple layout and L - Bayonet, included EVF. They need to have a race horse for this lens lineup.

After the M they surely need a 2nd line of cameras with changeable lenses AND big sales.

S, SL, X, D and V don't bring the big cash. And I guess sooner or later they will sort out some lines. Too many offers for such a small company in the camera business. Don't ask me if I have exactly informations - because I don't have. That's just rational thinking.

And I would be happy if Leica brings this new marvel with APS-C sensor. The TL2 is not yet out of my list, still on my radar. But I have the patience to wait for the right tool to the right time. And November 2017 is not far.

Daniel

• Like 2

Focus peaking works pretty well on the SL as far as I am concerned,,,  Do you have a different opinion?

I do 

I think it's better to look at the EVF without focus peaking - it's really clear and with focus peaking turned off you get a little shiver at the point of perfect focus . . . . which focus peaking completely removes - 

I used to be the biggest advocate of focus peaking, but since EVFs have got better I think it's counter-productive.

best

• Like 11

I do 

I think it's better to look at the EVF without focus peaking - it's really clear and with focus peaking turned off you get a little shiver at the point of perfect focus . . . . which focus peaking completely removes - 

I used to be the biggest advocate of focus peaking, but since EVFs have got better I think it's counter-productive.

best

At first , I was very disappointed when T came without any focus peaking feature. But then, I got used to the excellent Visoflex . I have been using MF lenses 99% of the time on my T and I have no problem what so ever to nail the focus with the magnifier through my EVF .

Edited by Louis
  • Like 6

At first , I was very disappointed when T came without any focus peaking feature. But then, I got used to the excellent Visoflex . I have been using MF lenses 99% of the time on my T and I have no problem what so ever to nail the focus with the magnifier through my EVF .

+1

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever else, this could be a very interesting camera. When I passed on the M10 I thought that it would take quite a bit of doing to get me to buy another Leica. However, a T with an EVF...Most tempting. :(

Hi Jaap

Seems to me that having passed on the M10, then really there is nothing which will tempt you, after all, the M10 is clearly the most perfectly focused camera they've produced for many a long year: A digital M7 with weather sealing and a cracking sensor. . . As a long time M user what more could you want?

Surely a T with an EVF isn't going to offer you anything you don't have with your Panasonic, with the possible exception of better image quality.

• Like 2

Hi Jaap

Seems to me that having passed on the M10, then really there is nothing which will tempt you, after all, the M10 is clearly the most perfectly focused camera they've produced for many a long year: A digital M7 with weather sealing and a cracking sensor. . . As a long time M user what more could you want?

Surely a T with an EVF isn't going to offer you anything you don't have with your Panasonic, with the possible exception of better image quality.

But assuming Jaap is happy with his current digital M the M10's features might not be of much benefit to him.

A different complementary system is another matter. I think most M users have other cameras to do the stuff an M can't.

• Like 1

Hi Jaap

As always wise words, Jono, but: Actually, I am considering reverting to my M9 and MM1 as a combo. The M240 - and certainly the M10 may be the "better" camera, but are they the nicer ones?

My Panasonic does the non-RF stuff well, but I am not 100% sure whether an APS sensor would be an improvement - and MFT is sure to evolve. I have some nice lenses now :).

• Like 1

You cannot find any camera that fits perfectly for all situations. A real expert may know how to compromise, but I bet most M users would need another camera system to complement the almost perfect M. For those nonprofessional hobbist, AF and zoom would be the top wanted features. Super tele and super wide would be in the list too, but the M10 has covered them.

Now T/TL would be the one to be that complementary system, but not quite yet unless it has the built in EVF. That is what SL can fulfill already, but the price is not there yet. A lighter and more affordable SL, or CL, could be the one to replace any non Leica camera in the bag.

A lighter and more affordable SL, or CL, could be the one to replace any non Leica camera in the bag.

If the SL had 2-3 lighter walkaround lenses I personally wouldn't even both looking at the TL2.  The SL would cover all my needs at that stage.  Perhaps in 3-5 years...