Code Name "Clooney"

I would suspect that if the built in viewfinder is on a par with the Q or SL, the "Clooney" will be a terrific success. 

The size of the SL is partly dictated by the EVF ...... but Leica have a habit of using bits from other cameras so an EVF similar to the Q is perfectly possible.

I still think a good fixed zoom like the X-V is the most likely option though ..... and I bet it's called a Q-Vario  :D

Is there really a gap between the SL & TL2?

I used to think there was. Now, I'm not so sure.

Yes, there is...  certainly if you use autofocus... if you use manual focus or have a very deliberate (and slower) style of shooting perhaps not so much... The SL has a better and integrated EVF, can use a flash with the EVF (like any other camera...), is a lot faster, autofocus in itself is faster, the joystick allows to change the focus point quickly, etc...  Depending on your shooting style the TL2 might be sufficient and its image quality is certainly more than sufficient but it is nowhere near the SL... Otherwise so many people would not be hoping for an APS-C mini-SL...

.... and its image quality is certainly more than sufficient but it is nowhere near the SL..

I fully agree with you except for the quoted part. Owning the SL and looking at TL2 images made with the same lenses I cannot discover any differences apart from the obvious loss of one stop of DoF and 1.5x enlargement. "Nowhere near" seems like a harsh exaggeration to me.

Edited by Lazytiger
  • Like 4

To be honest, owning both, I haven't seen the image qaulity of the TL2 being "nowhere near the SL". Why would it be?

People want a mini SL because they want a built in EVF, but that's not really an IQ issue (though if it improves your focusing, there might be a knock on effect). Don't get me wrong, I love my SL, I love the zooms and I love using my M lenses on it; I also prefer full frame.

But all things being equal, there is no reason to suggest that the image quality of the TL2 is any less than the SL. I wish we knew more about the sensors, but in practical terms I don't see much in it (taking field of view and depth of field into account).

Edited by IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I fully agree with you except for the quoted part. Owning the SL and looking at TL2 images made with the same lenses I cannot discover any differences apart from the obvious loss of one stop of DoF and 1.5x enlargement. "Nowhere near" seems like a harsh exaggeration to me.

Bad grammar on my part... The "but it is nowhere near the SL" was more meant to be a conclusion, not so much a comment on the image quality...  

The image quality is excellent.

• Like 3

To be honest, owning both, I haven't seen the image qaulity of the TL2 being "nowhere near the SL". Why would it be?

People want a mini SL because they want a built in EVF, but that's not really an IQ issue (though if it improves your focusing, there might be a knock on effect). Don't get me wrong, I love my SL, I love the zooms and I love using my M lenses on it; I also prefer full frame.

But all things being equal, there is no reason to suggest that the image quality of the TL2 is any less than the SL. I wish we knew more about the sensors, but in practical terms I don't see much in it (taking field of view and depth of field into account).

I didn't mean to say that about the image quality.  It is just a bad sentence.  See also my reply above.

I stand by the rest though.  There definitely is a gap between the SL and the TL2.  

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Well reading all this has thrown a spanner in the works..............I'm just away to order a TL2 plus 35mm sumerlux plus the IVF. I'm heading to Japan in November so was hoping to have this as a back up to my Soo7. I guess even if Leica do come out with the Cloney in November realistically it ain't going to be available until maybe March 2018 so what the hell, I guess I will just place the order and hopefully the 35mm sumerlux will work on the Cloney ???

Neil

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Neil ..... no-one has a clue what thus will be ... and if you based all your buying decisions on 'Leica Rumours' you would be waiting forever....  :rolleyes:

That's why I've decided to go ahead and order one :)

Neil

• Like 1

Well reading all this has thrown a spanner in the works..............I'm just away to order a TL2 plus 35mm sumerlux plus the IVF. I'm heading to Japan in November so was hoping to have this as a back up to my Soo7. I guess even if Leica do come out with the Cloney in November realistically it ain't going to be available until maybe March 2018 so what the hell, I guess I will just place the order and hopefully the 35mm sumerlux will work on the Cloney ???

Neil

You're probably right. Whatever the Clooney is, it's likely to be too late for your trip to Japan in November. You can get it next year, give the silver TL2 to your lady, get the SL2 by the end of next year, and you'll be able to use your M and TL lenses on all three bodies. If you go down this route, there won't be any place for the M10, though.

I would suspect that if the built in viewfinder is on a par with the Q or SL, the "Clooney" will be a terrific success. 

Panasonic has a fantastic OLED EVF in the GH5, and an OLED of superior quality ( somewhere in between the Q and SL) on the GX8.