leica Q for stars and milky way

I can't seem to find any samples, anyone tried using the Q for this, also how do i activate the 2 min exposure I cant figure it out.. I'll check again when I get home maybe I just overlooked it. thanks

It's quite simple: set the time dial to 1+ and than turn the exposure compensation dial clockwise to 2 minutes. That's it.

Be sure that the lastest firmware version is installed on your Q

Edited by Tmx

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, I am used to shoot stars with a reflex and, despite I love my Q, I have to say I find it limited for this kind of photography.

At high ISO, even with firmware 2.0, the exposure lenght is limited to few seconds and this doesn't help.

Also, if you want to create start trails you have to deal with the noise reduction frame between every shot of the time lapse sequence and it can be annoying.

But..

These holidays I took with me only the Q (exactly because I love it), and a couple of days ago I decided I wanted to take a picture of the milky way stretching the "long" exposure capabilities of my Q.

I believe the result is quite decent despite the limit of 8 seconds @1600 ISO  :). And I won't regret I didn't take also my reflex with me.

gallery_56782_5673_2665269.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

So, I am used to shoot stars with a reflex and, despite I love my Q, I have to say I find it limited for this kind of photography.

At high ISO, even with firmware 2.0, the exposure lenght is limited to few seconds and this doesn't help.

Also, if you want to create start trails you have to deal with the noise reduction frame between every shot of the time lapse sequence and it can be annoying.

But..

These holidays I took with me only the Q (exactly because I love it), and a couple of days ago I decided I wanted to take a picture of the milky way stretching the "long" exposure capabilities of my Q.

I believe the result is quite decent despite the limit of 8 seconds @1600 ISO  :). And I won't regret I didn't take also my reflex with me.

You can set exposure to 60 seconds or use T mode on the Q. How did you end up with 8 seconds as the limit?

You can set exposure to 60 seconds or use T mode on the Q. How did you end up with 8 seconds as the limit?

60 seconds or more can be set only at low ISO.

Raise the ISO setting and you'll see the camera limiting the exposure time (even in T mode). If I remember correctly it's 8 seconds @1600 ISO and 4 seconds @3200 and 6400.

60 seconds or more can be set only at low ISO.

Raise the ISO setting and you'll see the camera limiting the exposure time (even in T mode). If I remember correctly it's 8 seconds @1600 ISO and 4 seconds @3200 and 6400.

Aha, I stand corrected!

• Like 1

But..

I believe the result is quite decent despite the limit of 8 seconds @1600 ISO :). And I won't regret I didn't take also my reflex with me.

Absolutely beautiful pic. Congrats.

• 1 year later...
On 8/23/2017 at 6:11 PM, NicoTheStan said:

But..

After 8 seconds at ISO 1600 the shutter if turned one more click reaches "T"  what do you do from "T"   ?