Advertisement (gone after registration)

Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 1:1,5 f=5cm, uncoated lens from around about 1937, originally mounted on Contax II rangefinder. Shot on SL using Contax-L39, L39-M and M-Adapter L.  Shot wide open, cropped to 3x4.

Same scene and lens but this time at f/5.6.  Classic "Sonnar look".

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!  Female Emperor Dragonfly in flight    Emperor Dragonflies are the only UK/European anisoptera which exhibit a 'curved' abdomen whilst in flight … thus easy to identify    SL/ Noflexar 600mm with Leitz APO 2x extender … thus 1200mm;  ISO 1600, 1/640, f19 … manual pre-focus from approx 4m distance  … 'close focus' (for a 1200mm lens) achieved via t

SL with PA-Curtagon 35mm. A very loose lens. Just shifted up a little for the verticals (sorry about including a product but it was a test). Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Apol Telyt 180mm at f3.4 (Leica SL) Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Posted Images

Rollei Planar 1,8/50 (Singapore), if a mid-1970s lens can be called "vintage".  Shot wide-open on SL, slight crop to 3x4.  Often compared with Carl Zeiss Planar 1,7/50 (Japan), a different formula.  I prefer the way the Rollei draws.

Helios-44 2/58 from about 1969, taken wide-open on SL to show the "swirly bokeh" that is a characteristic of this lens (based on Zeiss Biotar formula).  3x4 crop to about 20Mpixel.

Edited by John Robinson

Another Helios-44 2/58 image, this time at f8 on SL.  Maybe I have a good example but this lens is very sharp, does not seem to flare as is sometimes reported.  3x4 crop to about 16Mpixel.

• 2 weeks later...

1961 Summitar on SL.  Shot wide-open to show the interesting "swirl".  I am always astonished how good this lens is, compares well with the Summicron that followed it.

100% crop from an image taken at f/5.6, looking across Sandwich Bay in Kent to the Ramsgate Peninsular.  Sharp, low-contrast from a single-coated lens.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just double-checked the lens serial number.  The Summitar is from 1951 not 1961 (superseded by Summicron by then).  Perhaps I have an exceptional sample (no dust, no cleaning marks, no fungus) but I am still surprised just how well it draws an image.  Soft contrast but sharp detail.

Can a mid-1970s lens be described as "vintage", or is it really only "classic"?  Certainly, the Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 made (in Japan) for Contax/Yashica mount is a stunningly good lens, compares well with the Leica Summilux 50 but easily found for a fraction of the price.  Image is from Sandwich Bay in Kent, UK.  How can the sea manage to wash up such things as this?  Leica SL, Planar at f/4.

Edited by John Robinson
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this counts as vintage, but I just picked up a 1978 50mm 'Lux-R for my SL. I wanted something a little faster/more character for portraits in particular compared to my usual trio of 90's M glass. Here are some test shots of our boys.

(Above shots were all wide-open. After doing some tests I think I'll now be using the lens around f2.8 when I want to play with shallow DoF. At this aperture it is still plenty shallow, but bokeh less nervous and much more even towards the edges of the frame. The image is also noticeably sharper while still retaining what I would consider a vintage character.)

• 5 weeks later...

Juvenile Canada Goose Stamford Meadows, Stamford, Lincs. UK  

SL 601 / Canon FD 100-300mm L lens / C7 FD to L mount adapter 

cont'd ... 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
typo

Mute Swan Stamford Meadows, Stamford Lincs UK

SL 601 / Canon FD 100-300mm L lens / C7 FD to L mount adapter ... the original manual focus FD 100-300mm L lens ... which was subsequently redesigned / modified into the EF autofocus version of same lens 

BW

dunk 

• 3 weeks later...

SL + Leitz Telyt-R 250mm f4

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2019 at 6:31 PM, Musotographer said:

Not an inspiring photo; we liberated from a relative's attic my late father-in-law's 1970s photo gear and there amongst it was a Meyer-Optik Görlitz Orestegor 300/4 in M42 mount - a lens I'd never heard of. It weighs 2.1 kilos, is 24cms long with the jammed-on hood, takes a 100mm filter and the closest focussing distance seems to be about 10'. It is NOT a pleasure to handle 😀 - a tripod is essential, so it's good that it has its own adjustable tripod mount.  It's not in bad shape, though it does seem to have some fungus. The pictures seem to be not at all bad - decent sharpness and good colour, with nice subject separation wide-open.

SL with Orestegor 300/4, wide-open.

It took a while to realise you hadn’t mounted the lens in a wall! I was thinking it can’t be that heavy!

Canon 50mm f1.4 LTM on SL