Vintage lenses on the SL

artsymudi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hosta Flowers

105 5.6 El-Nikkor on Visoflex Bellows II and Visoflex III.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First test shot Yashica 500/8 Reflex lens with Novoflex LT/CONT adapter.

SL, ISO 1600 handheld 1/320 sec... neighbour's car at 40ft distance; wet weather & dull lighting.  

An old lens but has potential … and would expect result to improve by using a tripod in better light … and with more time for lens to acclimate … this image was taken straight out of the courier's box before the lens had time to fully acclimate. 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

St Martin's Lane, London.

SL, 1978 58mm f1.2 Noct-Nikkor Ai

• Like 14

A work in progress using the recently acquired Yashica 500/8 mirror lens plus Contax Mutar 2x extender 

Yashica 500/8 mirror lens , Mutar 2 extender … thus 1000mm f16.  Hard foam extension lever to focus ring is secured with rubber bands and enables finer focus control 

Damselfly was perching at 5m distance from camera … image slightly cropped 

Poor light necessitated ISO 3200 1/640 sec … Hopeful of better result in better light with lower ISO … and closer focus with addition of a third party Contax/Yashica  fit bellows arriving tomorrow 

dunk 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I tested out an ancient Russion 4.5/300 mm on the SL, using a dirt cheap M42/L adapter from China. The adapter just arrived and a few quick handheld shots from where I live reveals that this is not a bad lens at all. 

• Like 7

SL + Summitar 50mm [collapsible] @f2 via Voigtlander M39>M adapter

@ MAP Camera Leica Store in Shinjuku, Tokyo

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

A 2017 vintage lens experiment which plan to repeat in better light … these pics were taken in relatively low light 

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/277057-when-280mm-focal-length-is-insufficient-we-can-improvise-…/?hl=vixen

… there are lots of APO astronomical refractors available which can be adapted for long focus photography. Their limitation is the fixed aperture but this need not be a hindrance with modern cameras' high ISO imaging capabilities … provided also the limitations of manual focus are accepted.

And the cost of e.g. a s/h APO astro refractor is substantially less than a modern Canon / Nikon / Sony 400mm/600mm/800mm prime telephoto lens 

dunk 

SL, 50mm Canon f/0,95

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

SL, 50mm Canon f/0,95

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2018 at 3:44 AM, dkCambridgeshire said:

Further to my previous posts  Nr's. 57 and 58 in this thread:  Yesterday, I visited the same local nature reserve pond armed with SL 601, vintage Novoflex Noflexar 600mm f8 and Leitz APO 2x extender to photograph dragonflies and birds 

This was the first time I'd tried the 600mm Noflexar in 'close-up' mode i.e. using the Novoflex mount built-in bellows to reduce the minimum focus distance. Using the 2x extender doubles the focal length to 1200mm and reduces the max aperture to f16. The lens diaphragm was stopped down by half a stop thus the resultant taking aperture was approx. f19 

cont'd …   

This is a fine approach!! and the results speak for the commitment, perfect photos in terms of everything - even the Leica will be proud of these:) Having had the priviledge to try my changes/luck with the R9/DMR system and the 100mm Apo R-lens I feel humbled in front of these photos:) They are fine material for the scientific community which know all too little about these dragonflies, which serve as valuable measures of the health of the biotype where they reside. All knowledge of their mating times and habits might even serve as an early sign of warning when we should be alarmed and investigate the specific area in concern, in terms of the variables we can affect (amount of fertilization and toxins (?) among other things we do not know yet. However, I hope that these photos- and all alike (?) will inspire younger photographers try to match these, as finding these insects and being able to move in the areas in the correct way will be of "touristic value in the future" ie analogically show what is happening in Brazil/Pantanal on the wildlife areas -and will be soon similar of similar income source here in Europe, if we do not understand soon enough about the sensitivity of these different biotypes close to us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chez Janou by JM__, on Flickr

Chez Janou by JM__, on Flickr

5cm Nikkor NC 1.1external Nikon S mount  on SL 601

• 2 weeks later...

Experimented at Kings Dyke Nature Reserve, Whittlesey, near Peterborough, UK today with an ancient manual focus Canon FD 500mm lens with stacked Canon EF  2x and 1.4x extenders i.e. 1400mm on a FF mirrorless camera; lens converted from FD to EOS mount. Obliging buzzard was on telegraph pole approx 100m from the reserve main hide at top end of the lake … this is a crop of resultant image.

dunk

• Like 11

Leica SL with Tair11 133mm f2.8 m42 mount. 

• Like 5

O Juveny by JM__, on Flickr

60 Zuiko f1.5 Pen FT on SL

On 11/5/2018 at 7:12 PM, dkCambridgeshire said:

Experimented at Kings Dyke Nature Reserve, Whittlesey, near Peterborough, UK today with an ancient manual focus Canon FD 500mm lens with stacked Canon EF  2x and 1.4x extenders i.e. 1400mm on a FF mirrorless camera; lens converted from FD to EOS mount. Obliging buzzard was on telegraph pole approx 100m from the reserve main hide at top end of the lake … this is a crop of resultant image.

dunk

EDIT: This should have read: " … i.e.1400mm on Leica SL 601, lens converted … etc.: 

• 1 month later...

Minolta Rokkor 45/2 at f/5.6, purchased for a pittance. Just another flower shot, but it displays the realism of the lens.

Fast Stone Auto Adjust, contrast down a bit, gamma lightened 5%, cropped but saved at 100%

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

SL + 55mm Industar LTM

Test shot at the shop

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 1