The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo

Vintage lenses on the SL

#vintage #russian

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 JMF

JMF

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 2,452 posts
  • City / Ort:Brazil

Posted 20 June 2018 - 12:06

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

42182690834_b73e013d07_b.jpg

en Tocopilla by JM__, on Flickr

35 Summilux AA on SL

• scott kirkpatrick, AndreasAM, helged and 9 others said thank you

#62 BlackDoc

BlackDoc

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:02

Apol Telyt 180mm at f3.4 (Leica SL)

Attached File  20180620-L1030671.jpg   409.33KB   0 downloads

• dkCambridgeshire, farnz, meerec and 12 others said thank you

#63 dkCambridgeshire

dkCambridgeshire

Sponsoring Member

• Premium Member
  • 5,796 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire
  • City / Ort:Cambridgeshire

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:44

Further to my previous posts  Nr's. 57 and 58 in this thread:  Yesterday, I visited the same local nature reserve pond armed with SL 601, vintage Novoflex Noflexar 600mm f8 and Leitz APO 2x extender to photograph dragonflies and birds 

Attached File  08-Jul-2018_swaddy-8-Apparatus-rslf-.jpg   684.6KB   1 downloads

This was the first time I'd tried the 600mm Noflexar in 'close-up' mode i.e. using the Novoflex mount built-in bellows to reduce the minimum focus distance. Using the 2x extender doubles the focal length to 1200mm and reduces the max aperture to f16. The lens diaphragm was stopped down by half a stop thus the resultant taking aperture was approx. f19 

cont'd …   

• frame-it said thank you to this

Well they would say that!!  :lol: … Wouldn't they?? :blink: 

#64 dkCambridgeshire

dkCambridgeshire

Sponsoring Member

• Premium Member
  • 5,796 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:45

Attached File  08-Jul-2018_Swaddy-Emperor-Male-torn-wing-rslf.jpg   899.86KB   0 downloads

Mature Male Emperor Dragonfly      SL / Novoflex 600mm & Leitz APO 2x extender 

cont'd ….

Edited by dkCambridgeshire, 09 July 2018 - 02:03.

• farnz, helged, EUSe and 2 others said thank you

#65 dkCambridgeshire

dkCambridgeshire

Sponsoring Member

• Premium Member
  • 5,796 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:45

Attached File  08-Jul-2018_Swaddy-Novoflex-600mmAPO-2x-Male-Emperor-torn-wings-rslf.jpg   868.45KB   0 downloads

Mature Male Emperor Dragonfly      SL / Novoflex 600mm & Leitz APO 2x extender 

Note the specimen's torn wings … but it can still fly well and defend its territory. The specimen was approx 4m from the camera and the images have been slightly cropped. 

I'm pleased with the lens close-focus performance - especially as it cost just £69 (head and tubes only … not the full mount) from Ffordes 4 years ago. I've only recently acquired the rear Novoflex bellows mount so was not able to explore the lens' c/u ability previously. The lens head was actually manufactured by Leitz for Novoflex … and Agfa made and assembled the Novoflex mount including the rear bellows.

One day Leica will probably introduce an SL 560mm lens with matching extenders - but until they do, and given the fact that there are no third party AF lenses for the SL, I'm quite happy to continue using manual focus legacy lenses. 

Best wishes

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire, 09 July 2018 - 02:03.

• farnz, helged, JMF and 5 others said thank you

#66 hillavoider

hillavoider

Benutzer

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:42

great photos, such clear and sharp images from your rocket launcher, well done. what speed can you use considering the aperture size, how do you get it so still, do you need a remote shutter release

Edited by hillavoider, 09 July 2018 - 05:42.

#67 dkCambridgeshire

dkCambridgeshire

Sponsoring Member

• Premium Member
  • 5,796 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:38

great photos, such clear and sharp images from your rocket launcher, well done. what speed can you use considering the aperture size, how do you get it so still, do you need a remote shutter release

The Jobu Design gimbal as illustrated in #63 enables perfect balance when the lens / camera is set up at the C.O.G. and very stable operation - thus no DA or remote release required. Perching dragonflies don't move (apart from their perches blowing in the wind) so ISO is selected to enable shutter speed of c. 1/320 to 1/640 or faster … in this case ISO 1600 and the camera selected 1/640 to match the f19 aperture of the 1200mm lens. I was seated in a chair with my left hand 'squeeze focusing' the lens and the right hand gently pressing the shutter release. 'Squeeze focus' is very different to conventional helicoid lens focus and enables more accurate focusing with the 1200mm lens; focus can also be achieved via the bellows. The 'squeeze focus' mechanism comprises spring loaded tubes and was lubricated with trombone slide oil for efficient 'fine focus' movement. Also managed some dragonflies in flight photos using the same set-up. The SL's clear viewfinder and magnified live view helps with focusing too. Most modern digital cameras have good high ISO capability thus have no hesitation in using ISO 1600 or 3200 with the SL. 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire, 09 July 2018 - 11:20.

#68 hillavoider

hillavoider

Benutzer

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:01

thanks, i'm finding this a fascinating set up, even using trombone slide oil, great stuff

#69 dkCambridgeshire

dkCambridgeshire

Sponsoring Member

• Premium Member
  • 5,796 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:26

Attached File  Female-Emperor-Dragonfly-in-Flight-rslf_DxO.jpg   951.85KB   1 downloads

Female Emperor Dragonfly in flight 

Emperor Dragonflies are the only UK/European anisoptera which exhibit a 'curved' abdomen whilst in flight … thus easy to identify 

SL/ Noflexar 600mm with Leitz APO 2x extender … thus 1200mm;  ISO 1600, 1/640, f19 … manual pre-focus from approx 4m distance   'close focus' (for a 1200mm lens) achieved via the Novoflex mount's built-in bellows

If only Leica would / could offer e.g. an SL 560mm lens with a dedicated SL 2x extender, this type of image would be a lot easier to achieve i.e. with a higher shutter speed and lower ISO 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire, 11 July 2018 - 11:17.

• farnz, AZach, helged and 9 others said thank you

#70 helged

helged

enjoying light, simply

• Premium Member
  • 1,613 posts
  • City / Ort:Norway

Posted 11 July 2018 - 17:26

Emperor Dragonflies are the only UK/European anisoptera which exhibit a 'curved' abdomen whilst in flight … thus easy to identify

SL/ Noflexar 600mm with Leitz APO 2x extender … thus 1200mm; ISO 1600, 1/640, f19 … manual pre-focus from approx 4m distance … 'close focus' (for a 1200mm lens) achieved via the Novoflex mount's built-in bellows

If only Leica would / could offer e.g. an SL 560mm lens with a dedicated SL 2x extender, this type of image would be a lot easier to achieve i.e. with a higher shutter speed and lower ISO

dunk

+1 for a 400+mm tele for SL!

#71 dkCambridgeshire

dkCambridgeshire

Sponsoring Member

• Premium Member
  • 5,796 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire

Posted 11 July 2018 - 17:39

+1 for a 400+mm tele for SL!

Also have a Vixen 900mm f9 fluorite achromat telescope lens to hitch up to the SL 

dunk 

• helged said thank you to this

0 user(s) are reading this topic