Vintage lenses on the SL

artsymudi

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JMF

Trying Panavision Primo L lenses on the SL...

35 mm Primo L  in Full Frame mode:

41834255871_19dd5fa86a_b.jpg

en Tocopilla by JM__, on Flickr

41834255861_ae206e090e_b.jpg

en Tocopilla by JM__, on Flickr

41792295542_0b62142e0a_b.jpg

Vitoco by JM__, on Flickr

27 mm Primo L in APS-C mode:

26966130917_a71f147797_b.jpg

Cristian by JM__, on Flickr

40935594755_bb92a1feaa_b.jpg

camara prueba by JM__, on Flickr

Cheers, Jean-Marc

Contre jour Pasque Flower

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

SL 601, 1955 Canon LTM 85/1.5 & Leitz M extension tube, plus M to T adapter.

dunk

• Like 9

Guest JMF

Advertisement (gone after registration)

wow how on earth did you get adaptors to fit, and lucky the SL is mirrorless ya wouldn't see past that thing ha ha, thanks, :)

It sure involves some fiddling and the result is a great set / field viewfinder ! Quite front heavy I have to admit .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got  APO Telyt180mm f3.4 vintage lens from a friend of mine, a nice older guy with heavy use, but the glas is still fine....

i have tested it and - as the M- Noctilux f1.0- WHAT A COOL STUFF !

APO TELYT 1

• Like 13

APO TELYT 2

• Like 12

APO TELYT 3

• Like 11

APO TELYT 4 (ISO 3200)

• Like 16

A 'work in progress' for which await a 77mm circular polariser and decent weather before using the Novoflex 400mm f5.6 Noflexar 'T' with short Novoflex bellows on the SL 601.

Objective is to photograph pond bugs on a local pond - particularly those which are visible on pond plants 2 or 3 metres from the pond edge. The short Novoflex bellows enables excellent close focus - but the downside is that when using a 400mm focal length, any camera shake is amplified. The combination will be supported using a Novoflex fork mount on a small tripod. One particular quarry is a Water Scorpion which should be large enough to fill the frame.  

The Noflexar T is a 3 element achromat with lens elements allegedly made by Leitz , and Novoflex designed 'squeeze trigger focus' mount manufactured / assembled by Agfa c.1970s.  Being a 3 element achromat the lens performs better than the Novoflex 400mm f5.6 2 element version. I also have three shoulder stocks to experiment with including Leitz and Novoflex.  

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

A 'work in progress' for which await a 77mm circular polariser and decent weather before using the Novoflex 400mm f5.6 Noflexar 'T' with short Novoflex bellows on the SL 601.

Objective is to photograph pond bugs on a local pond - particularly those which are visible on pond plants 2 or 3 metres from the pond edge. The short Novoflex bellows enables excellent close focus - but the downside is that when using a 400mm focal length, any camera shake is amplified. The combination will be supported using a Novoflex fork mount on a small tripod. One particular quarry is a Water Scorpion which should be large enough to fill the frame.  

The Noflexar T is a 3 element achromat with lens elements allegedly made by Leitz , and Novoflex designed 'squeeze trigger focus' mount manufactured / assembled by Agfa c.1970s.  Being a 3 element achromat the lens performs better than the Novoflex 400mm f5.6 2 element version. I also have three shoulder stocks to experiment with including Leitz and Novoflex.  

dunk 

my god that's huge, the police may think you are carrying a rocket launcher, would love to see what comes out of it

my god that's huge, the police may think you are carrying a rocket launcher, would love to see what comes out of it

In February 2016 I received a phone call from the police advising that someone had lodged a complaint that I'd pointed a gun at them … I was testing a secondhand Tamron 70-300mm long lens (bought for my niece) from my doorway …   taking pics of parked car registrations, a street sign, brick walls and TV aerials … to ensure the 300mm setting was OK.  I was advised that in view of my explanation, armed police officers would not be sent to investigate … However, two unarmed police officers then arrived in a police car and requested I show them the camera and lens and all the pics on my computer. They left after 5 minutes to visit  the complainant’s house to explain. No idea who it was. I try not to take photos when people are in the street - but a car drove by my door during the test session. 

​Yesterday evening I travelled to the local pond to experiment with the Novoflex follow focus mount and Leica SL but on arrival a dog walker had blocked the car park gate entrance with her car - thus no access for 45 minutes until she returned. Words were exchanged and I pointed out that the car park gate clearly states it's a car park entrance. The lady then accused me of being rude saying, "That's no way to talk to a lady!" .. and refused to move her car until I apologised. More words were exchanged and she eventually drove off - enabling me to open the gate and park my car.  By the time I'd walked to the reserve pond there were no dragonflies or damselflies visible but I tested the SL and Novoflex with its 600mm lens option plus an R 1.4x APO extender.  

(Leica C photo) 

The combination proved difficult to use with just one tripod … a learning exercise … so next time will use with two tripods. A Lee lens hood/filter holder is fitted which has provision for fitting a circular polariser; the polariser enables 'seeing' damselflies' tails underwater as they oviposit 

(Leica C photo) 

As stated previously, the objective is to photograph dragonflies and damselflies (especially ovipositing paired damselflies) on the lily leaves in the centre of the pond.

I have succeeded using a Nikon 1 V2 fitted with a Nikon 1 70-300mm (810mm FF equivalent) but can't use those images for Leica Society or Leica Forum submissions. Capturing middle of the pond close-ups of damselflies mating / ovipositing action does require an 800mm or longer lens and there are various options available with the Novoflex 'follow focus' mount e.g. 400mm and 600mm lens heads plus Leitz R 1.4x and 2x extenders. The Novoflex built-in bellows enables close focus … and the bellows movement can also be used for fine focus in preference to the 'squeeze trigger' (after locking the 'squeeze trigger)   It's an ongoing project and I'm hopeful of obtaining some results soon.

(Leica C photo) 

View of the centre of the pond 

SL / Novoflex 600mm plus R 1.4 APO extender test shot of a nesting box on the reserve taken at approx 20 metres distance 

BTW … the 2 element 600mm Novoflex lens head plus its lens tube was purchased secondhand from Ffordes for just £69. The Novoflex 'follow focus'mount (dating from the 1960s) is part of a modular lens system with a common lens diaphragm section; it can be used with Novoflex 640mm, 600mm and 400mm lens heads - all of which have achromat lens elements made by Leitz. 

The SL 90-280mm would not be sufficiently long for this type of photography - even if an SL extender was available. A long SL lens e.g. 560mm with 1.4x or 2x extender would answer nature and sports photographers' needs … If only Leica would concentrate more on their core business instead of investing in e.g. luxury watch production, the SL lens options might develop a lot sooner into a more usable system. There was a time when Leica did cater for long lens users but nowadays Canon and Nikon have that market sector to themselves … likely to the detriment of Leica sales. Some might say, 'That's what the Nikon and Canon  SL converters are for …"  but the Canon converter is useless … I have one … a waste of ££. 

I did consider buying a PanaLeica 100-400mm lens but was not impressed by some users' reports regarding 'wear' and 'looseness' as it ages. And then I tried the Nikon 1 70-300mm … which was a more cost effective option and has a super-fast AF … and fits into a small Billingham bag. 

dunk 

• Like 2

Another visit to the pond yesterday: Late afternoon there were no mating/ovipositing damselflies - but there were several Four-Spotted Chaser dragonflies flying - which invariably fly back to the same bankside perch every few minutes. Thus set up the SL and Novoflex 'Follow Focus' with Noflexar T 400mm 3 element achromat lens head, coupled to a Leitz R 2x APO extender, approx 2.5 metres in front of a Teasel stem 'perch' … and waited patiently for the insect to return and settle. 

The set-up is not as heavy as it looks - it's just a three element achromat with a long tube. Using the 2x extender, the 800mm lens enables a long 'close focus' lens to subject distance. Close focus achieved via the mount's built-in bellows extension. The light was not so good - cloudy / hazy Sun, late afternoon - but the SL works well at ISO 3200 enabling 1/160sec @ effective f16.  Manual focus is via the spring loaded squeeze trigger which alters the length of the tube. Alternatively, focus can be achieved by lengthening/shortening the bellows extension. 

Male Four-Spotted Chaser … Swaddywell Nature Reserve near Peterborough UK.  

When dismantled the follow focus lens and SL camera fits into a medium size Billingham bag. The Novoflex 'LEA-R' ring bayonets onto the rear of the bellows enabling use of the Leitz R 2x APO extender; the Novoflex LET LR adapter couples the lens to the SL.  

During the 1960s and 1970s, prior to common use of e.g. Nikon telephoto lenses. Novoflex follow focus achromat lenses were standard kit for many sports and wildlife photographers. Some forum members may recall Victor Blackman's double page spread Amateur Photographer magazine weekly article; he often mentioned how press photographers hired Novoflex long focus lenses for covering cricket matches … 400mm, 600mm and 640mm lens heads being sufficient to capture centre pitch action. 

If you can manage manual focus, the' Novoflex Follow Focus' could be a worthy budget price 'long lens' solution for the SL. 

dunk 

• Like 13

Apo Telyt 180mm at f3.4 on SL:

• Like 15