Leica q DNG crop mode

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I know that Lightroom is supporting the Q's crop mode in DNG, meaning it will automatically crop to 35mm or 50mm aspect with the ability to recover the 28mm frame.

I know that Capture One unfortunately do not support the crop modes and will just display the full 28mm.

I'd like to test the feature on other RAW converter before purchasing my Q.

Would anyone be kind to send me a DNG file which has been taken in 35 or 50mm mode?

Thanks a lot!

Romain

A truly lousy photograph but this file should do what you want.  It is a DNG taken a few minutes ago with my Q looking at laptop screen with 50mm crop, f1.7 1/125 second.  About 43megs...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ht96o2wzu2e23vx/L1030016.DNG?dl=0

(please do not judge me by this piece of whatever...  my worst photo in days!)

Opened it in LR -- it was showing the 50mm perspective.  Develop module cropping expansion showed the entire 28mm perspective.   I only use LR, so good luck with anything else.  YMMV...

Q.E.D.

Henry

• 1 year later...
On 2/17/2019 at 5:10 PM, Infiniumguy said:

Not sure about photoshop. When I open Q “cropped” images in LR and I choose the crop function, I see the full image. Not the cropped version. 

PS does not appear to give the option to view the full frame unless I’m missing an option somewhere along the line.

Thanks anyway,

Graeme

Advertisement (gone after registration)

43 minutes ago, graeme_hutton said:

PS does not appear to give the option to view the full frame unless I’m missing an option somewhere along the line.

Thanks anyway,

Graeme

Graeme. Bummer. I wonder. Did you use Bridge to import the file from the SD card? Would it show up full size there ahead of PS? I’ve never gone directly to PS out of the camera. Always via Lightroom. Sorry, I cannot help. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Same problem. I want to work with the 28mm/full frame image <.dng> in Photoshop and I can't find a way to tell Adobe Raw to use entire file. It shows <.dng> but it is the size of the 50mm <.jpg>.

Workaround? Solution?

I am saving as a full size <.jpg> in another program and shooting all new images without this crop mode. Do I have to learn Lightroom to fix this problem?!

There's a crop button at the top of the window.  Clicking that shows me the whole RAW

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ralphh
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

This works just fine in Photoshop and even in old CS6 (non CC).  When opening a cropped Q or Q2 image in PS, you should first see the Camera RAW import dialog (just as Ralphh showed above in the newer versions of ACR). 

In the top bar simply click the CROP tool icon and and will expose the full full 28mm frame where you can choose to select the entire frame if desired.  However, if you just import a Q/Q2 DNG direct into PS you'll just be left with whatever framing you chose during the ACR import.  Sample attached on garbage test image and playing around with some old Cokin In Spot filters I was tinkering with :)HTH!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by anon65535