M10 "leather"

M11 for me

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Per Zufall lande ich auf der Leica "à la carte" Seite. Da fällt auf, dass die Gehäuse gar nicht mit echt Leder eingefasst sind, sondern lediglich mit besonders robustem . . . Blablabla.

Und es kommt noch dicker: Man kann Straussen-Look wählen: Das ist dann Rindsleder mit Straussenprägung. Degenerierter geht es wohl nicht mehr. Alles nur noch auf Image und Wirkung aus. Was sagen die echten Fotografen dazu? Ich habe ja nichts gegen eine Verschönerung des Standards. Dass es dann aber total in Richtung Fake gehen muss, ist nicht angemessen. Finde ich. Ich bin leicht angewidert. Irgendwie eine Marketing Verwirrung.

By chance, I land on the Leica "à la carte" side. It is noticeable that the housings are not embroidered with genuine leather, but only with particularly robust. , , Bla bla bla.

And it gets even thicker: you can choose ostrich-look: this is cowhide with ostrich embossing. Degenerate is probably no more. Everything only on image and effect. What do the real photographers say? I have nothing against a beautification of the standard. That it then however totally in the direction of fake must go, is not appropriate. I agree. I am slightly disgusted. Somehow a marketing mess.

Edited by jaapv
added google translate

Da fällt auf, dass die Gehäuse gar nicht mit echt Leder eingefasst sind, sondern lediglich mit besonders robustem . . . Blablabla...Das ist dann Rindsleder mit ...

Ja, was denn nun: Leder oder doch kein Leder?

What next: leather or not?

Edited by jaapv
added translation

Ja, was denn nun: Leder oder doch kein Leder?

Doch, es ist Leder: Das Straussenleder ist Rindsleder . . . Das schreibe ich doch. Du hast mein Zitat etwas verkürzt. Bitte aufpassen beim Zitieren . . .

Sure, it is leather. The Ostrich Skin is Cowhide... That is what I wrote. You shortened my quote somewhat. .. Please take care when quoting...

Edited by jaapv
translated

Per Zufall lande ich...

Irgendwie eine Marketing Verwirrung.

"Per Zufall" you posted in the part of the Forum where everybody uses English but "Verwirrung" (confusement) is also the right word as far as the content of your posting is concerned:

There is no "A la carte" option for the M10 (yet) - so you will have to stick with the "vulcanit" cover of the body, which in principle is the same since the first Leica came out. There have been some minor changes since, though it was never "real" leather.

If you mind the coloured leather options you get for other bodies, you are not forced to pay for them. Some people seem to like them and I don't fear it will stop them from making the photos they want.

• Like 5

Who cares? Quite a few owners replace the leatherette with a covering of their own, provided by a number of third-party suppliers. Those coverings range from fancy snake and lizard leathers over a wide range of goatskin, other leathers and leather composites to simple synthetic Griptac.

Why grudge Leica getting in on the game? "Original" embellishments are desirable as well, and Leica's leather quality is even better than the non-original stuff. And they supply matching straps.

A fairly traditional thing. The Leica Luxus I was made from 1925-1930, followed by the Leica Luxus II. Gold plated, lizard skin. Worth millions nowadays.

A-la-Carte has been around for quite a while too.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry for mixing up the languages and thanks for the translation. As a matter of fact there is no à la carte for the M10. That is correct. I just was of the opinion that the front and back surface was covered with real leather. As it is confirmed here it is not. And it is not for the M10 either.

And for the à la carte I would expect oistrich leather to be really oistrich leather.

However this is not my thing anyway. Even when à la carte would be lauched for the M10 I would not go for such designs unless they are real.

I would not go for Ostrich either, but to Leica’s defence I must add that the covering is not advertised as Ostrich, but as Ostrich-print, like Shark-skin, in the past, was not made from Sharks.

Old Leica are covered in Vulkanit, which was vulcanised onto the camera and is very hard to repair. Nowadays “Vulkanit” is an adhesive look-alike.

... because there are no blue ostrichs, I presume.

I hope the "leather" on your camera is from real blue whales at least.

I somehow feel that there is a real disconnect between the sense of humour of German speakers and that of English speakers.

You are right, there is always a risk that someone takes something for serious when it was not meant to be. And the risks is higher, when the writer doesn't use his native language.

Since jaapv knows both languages well I hope he didn't misunderstand it.

To avoid any possible misunderstanding:

No, I do not mind anyone using a camera with blue cover and no, I do not think that blue covers on a Leica come from blue whales.

... because there are no blue ostrichs, I presume.

I hope the "leather" on your camera is from real blue whales at least.

Err... I have never had a blue camera... Maybe your screen needs calibrating? :lol:

What is this thread about?

Well, my initial question was absolutely serious. It was about the cover of the body, if this one was leather or not. Stupid enough I was always of the opinion that it was genuine leather. But now I know better. And I always knew that there is no such thing as a violet oistrich

Since jaapv knows both languages well I hope he didn't misunderstand it.

To avoid any possible misunderstanding:

No, I do not mind anyone using a camera with blue cover and no, I do not think that blue covers on a Leica come from blue whales.

Hello UliWer,

If you do not think that the blue covers on Leica Cameras comes from blue whales: What color whales do you think these blue covers come from?

By the way, Vulcanite is most likely some proprietary form of a hard rubber compound sometimes also referred to as Ebonite.

Ebonite is the hard rubber compound that has been used in the past as the black material just behind the point on old fountain pens. Among other things.

It works well, is durable & lasts a long time. Just like on many M camera bodies until a while ago.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1