TL2 anomalies: (1) Focus peaking (2) Viso operation

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Could you please check your TL2 when the FN button is set to EVF mode, to establish if your camera reverts back to auto switching between the EVF and monitor , when the FN is pressed?

Thank you.

dunk 

Although mine was returned some time ago, I distinctly recall that auto-switching was working, and was fast.  I initially tried using full-time EVF but the camera defaulted to the LCD each time the camera was started or awakened from sleep state, which made auto-switching the more practical option for my purposes.

I wonder if the various anomalies being reported arise in any way from the TL2 initially being shipped with at least two different firmware versions (as per Leica)...  I'm looking forward to getting another copy once the issues have been successfully sorted.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On my TL2 with firmware 1.1 and the Summilux 35mm or the 23mm, if the function button is set to toggle between record mode and play mode, the automatic switching between EVF and the display works as one would expect. If the function button is set to control the EVF, then the function button only toggles between EVF and display with no automatic switching between the two. This enables leaving the display off while shooting. All of this seems reasonable.

What seems unreasonable is that focus peaking is available only in manual-focus mode (where it appears in both the EVF and the display). Why not also in autofocus mode, as on the SL. It is after all useful to know what is actually in focus in autofocus mode. In addition, for those of us who own both cameras, it would be nice if they behaved as much like one another as reasonable.

Another difference between the two that makes little sense is that on the SL, one cannot review pictures automatically immediately after exposure if one is using only the EVF without the display. Review works if one uses the display alone or if one automatically switches between the EVF and the display. On the SL, the function button toggles among three alternatives--EVF alone, display alone, and automatic switching between the two. Surely the TL2 function button could be made to do this as well instead of toggling between EVF only and display only.

Another difference between the two that makes little sense is that on the SL, one cannot review pictures automatically immediately after exposure if one is using only the EVF without the display. Review works if one uses the display alone or if one automatically switches between the EVF and the display. 

I think the general consensus is that this is a bug that crept in with firmware 3.0 .....

The M10 has a very nice setup in the main menu that would solve a number of the issues in both the TL2 and the SL (firmware 3.0) surrounding the relationship between the EVF and the display. With the M10 one can choose independently whether live view is seen either in the EVF or the display or switches automatically between the two. The same for instant review after capture. Of course, with the M10 there is no such thing as autofocus and thus focus peaking has only to work with manual focus, whereas on the TL2 it would be nice to have focus peaking available for autofocus as well as for manual focus. But the M10 enables focus peaking on either the EVF or the display. Perhaps some of these features of the M10 menu could be adapted to the SL and the TL2. And in general it would be nice to have more consistency across the several cameras.

After advising my dealer that the TL2's 'auto switching' between monitor viewing and VISO/EVF viewing was not always working / available, and that when it does work, the EVF/VISO can suddenly stop working (whence camera reverts to monitor image only) … my dealer arranged for the camera to b returned to Wetzlar for exchange.  I'd also mentioned that focus peaking is not working - and that a Leica Forum friend had also checked the focus peaking and he also confirmed that focus peaking in MF mode was not working / not available. Before sending the camera to Wetzlar, I decided to thoroughly re-read the instruction manual to make doubly sure the EVF malfunction is in fact a camera anomaly and not me misunderstanding the various modes. After double checking and performing a reset I can confirm there is an intermittent EVF auto switching anomaly which is sometimes apparent on start up when no EVF/VISO image is available … and sometimes suddenly happens after a few minutes when the EVF/VISO cuts out and the camera reverts / defaults to monitor image only. Restoring the EVF/VISO image requires several camera restarts  … or lens changes … or removal and replacing the EVF.   This anomaly occurs in the Fn button's default 'video mode'.  When the Fn button is changed to EVF mode, it is possible to turn the EVF on permanently ... and it stays on … but pressing the Fn button again will not enable 'auto switching' between EVF/VISO and monitor image … it reverts to monitor image only.  And I've double checked to make sure that focus peaking is not functioning and can confirm focus peaking isn't available. In short, the camera is not functioning in the way that it should … so it's going back to Wetzlar for replacement. These anomalies were apparent prior to installing firmware 1.1; my camera is one of those which did not suddenly 'die' when the Viso was used; but I'm wondering if maybe the camera's electronics have been partially compromised by using the VISO with the original firmware?  i stopped using the VISO after Leica Camera AG's announcement that it might cause a malfunction … and recommenced using the VISO after firmware 1.1. was released and installed.   I need the VISO function to operate whenever needed … and need it to operate reliably without cutting out … and I also need the focus peaking .  Some might say that the peaking is not important … but the camera should 'do what it says on the tin' … and with my current project i.e. photographing a cormorant colony at 140 meters distance with various long focus lenses I need the focus peaking facility for the whole image . The magnified view is insufficient … I need to see all the birds in the frame.  A friend using his Sony A7II for the same project has the benefit of focus peaking … and it's a revelation to see the focus peaking on his camera monitor. The TL2 is going back to Wetzlar later today for replacement … and I'll recommence the cormorant project using my SL … but would prefer to use the TL2 because of its 1.5x crop factor with the longer legacy lenses. 

dunk 

I sent Leica Camera AG the following letter with the returned TL2:

Leica TL2 SN 5224793 - Faulty Viso Mode

Above camera purchased from Ffordes Photographic Ltd 12 July 2017 has a very annoying intermittent Viso fault. In the Fn default mode ie video mode, the Viso image either: (1) Does not show on start-up or (2) Viso image suddenly cuts-out in use. The Viso image can be restored by repeatedly switching camera off and on again - or by removing Viso and reinserting - and sometimes, by removing and reattaching the lens. But may require several attempts before the Viso image is restored. When the live view Viso image cuts out the camera reverts to the normal monitor live view.

When the Fn button is used in EVF mode, the Viso image is ‘on’, but when the Fn button is pressed the camera does not ‘auto switch’ between Viso and monitor (contrary to the instruction manual’s advice)  

The anomaly occurred from new when running original firmware 1.0 and persists with firmware 1.1. Sometimes the Viso image is stable for a few minutes but then cuts out - the camera reverting to monitor image only. The fault is not due to the Viso slipping out of the accessory shoe or poor contacts; contacts have been cleaned but the Viso image anomaly persists.  Additionally (and as reported by other TL2 users) focus peaking isn’t working in MF mode with the TL 23mm lens or legacy lenses.

Ffordes Photographic have arranged via Jimmy Hughes at Leica Mayfair for the camera to be returned to Wetzlar QM for exchange . When the camera is replaced I would prefer a black body if possible. I would appreciate receiving a replacement camera a.s.a.p. please because I need to resume an ongoing cormorant colony photographic project.  Please note the new battery is also returned, fitted.   

Thank you and kind regards

Please note that after sending the letter it's become apparent that there is likely an error in the instruction manual ref expecting the FN button to 'auto switch' between the Viso and monitor when the Viso is used in the EVF mode. 

Today I've received  an Email from Leica Camera AG Wetzlar with PDF attachment advising: 

10000 5370 LEICA TL2, silver anodized finish ( 5224793 ) 1 PCS

orig. package, camera cap,

accu, hot shoe cover, etui

general condition of product

traces of use

Labour costs 0,00

receiving inspection

At our receiving inspection we could determine your complaint. By

suitable measures or by exchange of the listed parts the function will

be perfect.

You will receive a replacement unit

adjustment of all parts

As a guarantee achievement we will send you a product of the newest manufacturing.

5370 TL2, black anodized finish 0.00

Thus appears my original TL2 was faulty as regards Visoflex function … now await replacement TL2 body and Leica Camera AG have complied with request for a black replacement model.

Now look forward to receiving the replacement camera direct from Leica Camera AG Wetzlar and resuming the long lens bird photography project.

A big 'THANK YOU'  to Steve Byford at Ffordes Photographic Ltd and also to Jimmy Hughes at Leica Mayfair Client Care for arranging the return and UPS shipping to Leica Camera AG.

​Get the strength of official Leica Camera dealers around you :)

Best wishes 

dunk 

EDIT:  The 'focus peaking' function on the replacement camera might, or might not, be better than on the returned camera … but given the number of forum posts referring to this particular anomaly, expect that this is something that can be improved via future firmware updates.

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Further to my 11 August post and when setting the FN button to EVF mode, enabling the Visoflex EVF to be switched on permanently . The instruction manual Page143  definitely states that whilst in this mode, pressing the FN button switches off the EVF … but enables the Auto Switch between monitor and EVF … thus placing the eye to the EVF should once again switch on the VISO image .

Page 143: Setting the function button to switch the viewfinder on

permanently

► In the main menu, select

► In , select

Note:

With this function active, pressing the function button results in the

monitor image never appearing, i.e. regardless of whether or not

you are looking through the viewfinder. Pressing the function

button again reactivates automatic switching between viewfinder

and monitor.

However, my TL2 would not go into the Auto Switch mode when the FN button was pressed. I'm wondering if there is an error in the instruction manual or if this anomaly was peculiar to my particular TL2 body. Could you please check your TL2 when the FN button is set to EVF mode, to establish if your camera reverts back to auto switching between the EVF and monitor , when the FN is pressed?

Thank you.

dunk

Same here. The TL2 won't switch to automatic. Is it a faulty behavior?

Focus peaking doesn't work either - and it was not working with the first TL2 I had before returning it.

Same here. The TL2 won't switch to automatic. Is it a faulty behavior?

Focus peaking doesn't work either - and it was not working with the first TL2 I had before returning it.

The 'auto switch' in EVF mode mentioned in the instruction manual is likely an error/misunderstanding by those who wrote the manual. Focus peaking not working or being too indistinct is an anomaly experienced by some users but not others. Unless Leica make an official announcement about the focus peaking anomaly or announce a firmware update to improve the function we'll likely have to live with it. My TL2's main problem was the VISO EVF's erratic behaviour i.e. sometimes working from start up … sometimes not … and when it was working, suddenly cutting out for no reason. 

dunk 

The 'auto switch' in EVF mode mentioned in the instruction manual is likely an error/misunderstanding by those who wrote the manual. Focus peaking not working or being too indistinct is an anomaly experienced by some users but not others. Unless Leica make an official announcement about the focus peaking anomaly or announce a firmware update to improve the function we'll likely have to live with it. My TL2's main problem was the VISO EVF's erratic behaviour i.e. sometimes working from start up … sometimes not … and when it was working, suddenly cutting out for no reason. 

dunk 

Ok - let's hope my VISO keeps behaving with the TL2 as well as with the T :)

dunk 

Hello - it seems my VISO is showing that same erratic behavior when using it with the Leica TL zoom - but not with my M lenses. Strange! 

dunk

My TL2 is going back to the store - just a few weeks after my initial one went dead when used with Visoflex. The camera definitely does not work as expected when connected with the Visoflex. Staff at the Leica DC store as usual was very helpful and supportive.

My TL2 is going back to the store - just a few weeks after my initial one went dead when used with Visoflex. The camera definitely does not work as expected when connected with the Visoflex. Staff at the Leica DC store as usual was very helpful and supportive.

Better luck with your replacement … My replacement TL2 should arrive by mid-week as was in Wetzlar shipping dept yesterday  … Looking forward to using it asap 

dunk 

• 1 month later...

UPDATE REF REPLACEMENT TL2

The replacement TL2 arrived from Wetzlar on Sept 14 but was was poorly packed with paperwork sticking out of the parcel. 

Initially the replacement TL2 appeared to be working fine with the Viso; however, usually within several minutes but sometimes longer e.g. up to 30 minutes, but also from start-up, it showed the same intermittent fault as the original TL2 body purchased.

With the Fn button in the VIDEO default mode, the Viso image is not always activated when the eye is placed to its viewfinder; it might not work from start up, or of it does work initially it then suddenly fails to display the image … reverting to monitor image only.

I’ve considered the possibility that perhaps the VISO might be faulty but this seems very unlikely because it functions perfectly with my original Leica T camera … as it has always done over the last two years. And I’ve checked and re-checked to make sure it’s not a contacts or Viso dislodged problem.

I’ve tried everything possible to try and isolate the cause and remedy the anomaly - but all to no avail. The problem occurred both when using TL lenses and legacy lenses, and both with and without the Leica M to T adapter attached, and irrespective of whether using an SD card or the TL2’s internal memory. Changing a camera setting e.g. the ISO rating can trigger the malfunction.

To reactivate the VISO in its default mode can require several restarts and /or lens changes whence it suddenly springs to life again.  I’ve also experienced the VISO function not always working in the ‘permanently on’ mode … but usually it does work in this mode.  

Using the Fn button’s ‘Turn on viewfinder permanently’ mode, the VISO can be switched on manually via the Fn button … but this is not always a convenient working mode. The camera’s Fn default mode is more useful whereby the eye activates the Viso image. I frequently lost potential images because of the camera’s / Viso’s erratic behaviour and stopped using the camera because of its unreliability.

My original TL2 was one of those which did not ‘die’ when used with the VISO prior to the firmware update … and I stopped using the VISO (as per dealer's and Leica Camera AG advice) until the firmware update was available and installed.  

I am very disappointed with both the original and replacement TL2 cameras; for my intended purposes both were unusable because of its erratic Viso function in its default mode. Too many photo opportunities were lost and photo trips abandoned. 

When Leica Camera Germany returned the replacement camera, it was in the original TL2’s box … thus became a ‘non-matching numbers’ set. Surely Leica Camera AG Germany could have provided fresh SN stickers for the box?  New guarantee cards were provided for the replacement camera. 

The replacement TL2 has been returned to my dealer and with a copy letter detailing foregoing experience and documenting persistent fault also Emailed to Leica  Mayfair. 

Could Leica Camera AG have 'mistakenly' sent me a replacement TL2 with the same fault … maybe another TL2 previously returned to them?

​A suitable remedy is now being sought; suffice to say I do not want another replacement TL2.

dunk 

Just wanted to mention my experience with tl2 and visoflex:

1. Did not auto-switch from display when I bring it to my eye.

2. I reset the camera and it worked, but then stopped working later.

3. Switching to evf only worked when I assigned it to function button.

I returned the visoflex.

Just wanted to mention my experience with tl2 and visoflex:

1. Did not auto-switch from display when I bring it to my eye.

2. I reset the camera and it worked, but then stopped working later.

3. Switching to evf only worked when I assigned it to function button.

I returned the visoflex.

My Viso worked, and continues to work, perfectly, with the original T camera. However, with the TL2 the Viso only works spasmodically / intermittently/not at all … and when it does work, suddenly cuts out.

dunk   

• 1 month later...

Following discovery of the same fault on the replacement TL2 as was discovered on the original TL2, I have now received a full refund.

Thus a big thank you to Leica Mayfair and Ffordes for their advice and customer service. 

Keep the strength of approved Leica Premier dealers around you :)

Best wishes

dunk