Leica M10: I need a zoom lens....

LeicaDreamer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everybody,

after shooting many years with Canon, two months ago I bought my first Leica, a M10 in silver combination and a Leica 28mm, f2.0.

I really enjoy shooting with the M System and learning each day to be faster with the "Messesucher", but going around I miss a zoom lens that can give me the possibility to "take some facial expressions"...I studied in the Leica offer and I need your help to understand the differences between the Leica 75mm f2,0 and the Leica 90mm f2,0...Looking to my previuos experience (I was using very often the Canon 70-200 f2,8) I would buy the 90mm f2,0 but It would be interesting have more information from your personal feeling and experiences...

Thanks in advance for your answer and for sharing with me your suggestions!

Have a nice day!

Gino

Hello Gino,

Neither of the two Apo-Summicron-M 75mm or 90mm is a zoom.

Leica offer only for M mount two (one only now) Tri-Elmar-M : "16-18-21 WATE" and "28-35-50 MATE" only the wide to cover 16mm to 50mm.

If you need something in long focus "zoom", you can adapt some SLR zoom (regrettably not EF Canon) to use M10 + Visoflex 020.

I have tried Vario-Elmar-R 4/70-210 from my Leica R but it's not practical at all and not in "M philosophy".

So I just use M lenses to 135mm then swap with R lenses + adapter for longer lenses (Apo-Telyt-R 180mm or 4/280).

Apo-Summicron-M 2/75mm is very nice and handy with the best optical quality but not suitable for portrait (I need some "soft rendering).

For portrait Summilux-M 75mm has my preference for more or less 30 years (regret those Kodachrome with Summilux-M 75mm portraits).

• Like 1

Hi Geno

I'm glad you're enjoying your rangefinder camera. You've got a great lens to start with that is probably far more versatile than you've yet come to realise.

The lens I have probably used the most for "facial expressions" in spontaneous as opposed to posed portrait photos is a 35mm, closely followed by the same 28mm that you have.

Using a gentle wide-angle means you need to get closer than with a long lens. That means usually becoming more involved, less detached from the subject, or at least in my experience it means that you need to think more about the subject and your relationship to them. But that's a matter of style and personality and opportunity.

Lots of people will make different suggestions but it really comes down to what you're trying to achieve and how you like to work. But I do think that using a rangefinder instead of a DSLR gives you the chance to work more closely with people in a less obtrusive way, and I like that feeling of intimacy that getting closer gives you, whereas using a long lens only gives the appearance of being closer, but avoids the reality of it.

So my preference is 75 for posed portraits, but something shorter like 35 or 28 for more spontaneous and lively photos.

• Like 5

if you want a dirt-cheap and good quality zoomlens, buy the old Olympus Zuiko 75-150 and use it with the EVF and an adapter (there are decent Chinese ones on eBay if you don't go for the cheapest)

It may need a clean(window washing as my camera repairman calls it) but then the quality is more than acceptable and the vintage rendering makes it a great portrait lens -nothing wrong with other uses either but it distorts quite a bit on straight lines at the edge which is no problem in postprocessing at all.

Hi everybody,

after shooting many years with Canon, two months ago I bought my first Leica, a M10 in silver combination and a Leica 28mm, f2.0.

I really enjoy shooting with the M System and learning each day to be faster with the "Messesucher", but going around I miss a zoom lens that can give me the possibility to "take some facial expressions"...I studied in the Leica offer and I need your help to understand the differences between the Leica 75mm f2,0 and the Leica 90mm f2,0...Looking to my previuos experience (I was using very often the Canon 70-200 f2,8) I would buy the 90mm f2,0 but It would be interesting have more information from your personal feeling and experiences...

Thanks in advance for your answer and for sharing with me your suggestions!

Have a nice day!

Gino

Hi There Gino

congratulations - a great combination - all it needs is the 75 'cron as a perfect companion.

The 90 f2 is a lovely lens, but it's much bigger, and it's noticeably harder to focus (for my money the rangefinder framelines are just too small).

I've had the 75 APO for 7 years now, and it's my most used lens (just in front of my 28). I've had three different 90's and in the end I've always sold them because I wasn't using them (nothing to do with the quality).

28 and 75 is a really good combination - I actually have two bodies - and normally I have a 28 on one and the 75 APO on the other.

Go For It!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I get the feeling that Gino has just said zoom when he really means telephoto, possibly just a translation issue.

I've not used either of the two lenses that you asked about Gino, but the 75mm f2.5 (or newer 2.4 version) Summarit is small, cheap and sharp. Worth a look.

• Like 2

Hi Geno

I'm glad you're enjoying your rangefinder camera. You've got a great lens to start with that is probably far more versatile than you've yet come to realise.

The lens I have probably used the most for "facial expressions" in spontaneous as opposed to posed portrait photos is a 35mm, closely followed by the same 28mm that you have.

Using a gentle wide-angle means you need to get closer than with a long lens. That means usually becoming more involved, less detached from the subject, or at least in my experience it means that you need to think more about the subject and your relationship to them. But that's a matter of style and personality and opportunity.

Lots of people will make different suggestions but it really comes down to what you're trying to achieve and how you like to work. But I do think that using a rangefinder instead of a DSLR gives you the chance to work more closely with people in a less obtrusive way, and I like that feeling of intimacy that getting closer gives you, whereas using a long lens only gives the appearance of being closer, but avoids the reality of it.

So my preference is 75 for posed portraits, but something shorter like 35 or 28 for more spontaneous and lively photos.

Thanks a lot for your personal suggestions!

G.

Hi Geno

I have to admit that your post give me more elements to think about...

Moving from a DSLR to a Rangefinder System is not only changing the way of taking Picture, but the Approach I should have in taking Picture...

Using your sentence I can now say that I have had for Long time the "appearance of being closer"....

I'll let you know in the following days my experience, but thanks a lot for your constructive answer!

Gino

• Like 1

PS 

If you really want a zoom, I thoroughly recommend the 35-70 f4 Leica R lens with a Leica R adapter - it's a great lens

I fully agree and although it is not small, it is not heavy and balances well on an M camera.

• Like 1

if you want a dirt-cheap and good quality zoomlens, buy the old Olympus Zuiko 75-150 and use it with the EVF and an adapter (there are decent Chinese ones on eBay if you don't go for the cheapest)

It may need a clean(window washing as my camera repairman calls it) but then the quality is more than acceptable and the vintage rendering makes it a great portrait lens -nothing wrong with other uses either but it distorts quite a bit on straight lines at the edge which is no problem in postprocessing at all.

Thanks Jaap!

I'm curious to know more about this Olympus Zuiko!

Didn't think about this type of solution!

Thanks

Gino

I get the feeling that Gino has just said zoom when he really means telephoto, possibly just a translation issue.

I've not used either of the two lenses that you asked about Gino, but the 75mm f2.5 (or newer 2.4 version) Summarit is small, cheap and sharp. Worth a look.

Thanks for your tipps!

G.

Gino,

While getting a true zoom lens and using it on an M camera can be useful and fun and will work, it is difficult to be spontaneous AND quick (because you are using the LCD screen. Therefore the EVF is a good purchase.)

A choice between a 75mm and a 90mm lens: as you are new to using a Leica I think starting with the 90mm will be a challenge. But, maybe you are ready for such a challenge! However most of us want to have a good rate of success when beginning any new activity so as to be able to continue this new thing with cheer and satisfaction.

My guess is that if you buy an APO-Summicron 75mm lens you will find it easier (than the 90mm) to use and be very happy with the results in a short period of time. It is small compared to the 90 APO and this is not something to ignore; if using a lens becomes 'work' you will turn to it less often. It is true that many long-time Leica folks appear to use a 90mm lens more often than a 75mm lens but that is probably an accident of history (the 75mm is a relative late-comer for Leica. You can search for all the information about this on the internet.)

If you are more into challenges - and have the money to spend, don't ignore the 75mm Summilux. Since it is no longer manufactured you will have to search for a good one and then dig into your bank account (but that is something you will do , and get used to doing, with Leica stuff!)

The 75 Lux is a big beast of a lens and quite difficult to use wide open: it requires much practice. It has the smallest Depth of Field of any Leica lens - and yes, this includes the Noctilux! But once 'mastered' the look is sublime, in my opinion.

If you have little interest or need in using lenses wide open, then forget this lens as the APO Cron is really wonderful AND very user-friendly. I am fortunate to own both 75mm lenses and use them differently.

When you entered the world of the rangefinder you entered a world of new possibilities in your photography.

Learn the technique,

do not waste time thinking about what you can no longer shoot as well as you could with a DSLR

and

you will have many happy hours and a great amount of photo satisfaction.

What more to ask for?

Good Luck!

Gino,

While getting a true zoom lens and using it on an M camera can be useful and fun and will work, it is difficult to be spontaneous AND quick (because you are using the LCD screen. Therefore the EVF is a good purchase.)

A choice between a 75mm and a 90mm lens: as you are new to using a Leica I think starting with the 90mm will be a challenge. But, maybe you are ready for such a challenge! However most of us want to have a good rate of success when beginning any new activity so as to be able to continue this new thing with cheer and satisfaction.

My guess is that if you buy an APO-Summicron 75mm lens you will find it easier (than the 90mm) to use and be very happy with the results in a short period of time. It is small compared to the 90 APO and this is not something to ignore; if using a lens becomes 'work' you will turn to it less often. It is true that many long-time Leica folks appear to use a 90mm lens more often than a 75mm lens but that is probably an accident of history (the 75mm is a relative late-comer for Leica. You can search for all the information about this on the internet.)

If you are more into challenges - and have the money to spend, don't ignore the 75mm Summilux. Since it is no longer manufactured you will have to search for a good one and then dig into your bank account (but that is something you will do , and get used to doing, with Leica stuff!)

The 75 Lux is a big beast of a lens and quite difficult to use wide open: it requires much practice. It has the smallest Depth of Field of any Leica lens - and yes, this includes the Noctilux! But once 'mastered' the look is sublime, in my opinion.

If you have little interest or need in using lenses wide open, then forget this lens as the APO Cron is really wonderful AND very user-friendly. I am fortunate to own both 75mm lenses and use them differently.

When you entered the world of the rangefinder you entered a world of new possibilities in your photography.

Learn the technique,

do not waste time thinking about what you can no longer shoot as well as you could with a DSLR

and

you will have many happy hours and a great amount of photo satisfaction.

What more to ask for?

Good Luck!

Hi,

thanks a lot for your nice answer, I appreciate a lot you shared your experience with me!

I Keep in mind your suggestions!

Have a nice day!

G.

Hallo Marco!

Thanks for your post...

Do you suggest this?!...Just to understand better because your post was extreme short... :-) 

Greetings

Gino

If you are lamenting a 70-200 then your only choices will be an SLR lens with adapter and EVF.  I understand the blackout in LV with the M10 is less than with the M240 but it's still there and does negate the uninterrupted followthrough afforded by the direct viewfinder.  That followthrough is a main advantage of the rangefinder camera to me, and why I prefer the Leica to an SLR.  In capturing moments, I would choose to shoot with a 75 or 90 and crop as needed, rather than adapt a zoom lens.  I have one zoom which I use with the Leica, that being a 70-210 f/4 R lens.  It was a Minolta lens which Leica had made in their mounting for the R series back around 1984.  In technical specs it may not be quite up to the standard of the later 80-200 f/4 which Leica had made by Kyocera, but the 70-210's optical quality is remarkable by comparison to other zooms of its age.  It is also much lighter than the 80-200, and is a one-touch design which  makes it quicker in action.  These can be found for a relative pittance in Leica terms. 

Thanks Jaap!

I'm curious to know more about this Olympus Zuiko!

Didn't think about this type of solution!

Thanks

Gino

I had bought this Zuiko zoom at Jaap's recommendation and I like it. It is cheap enough that you can safely experiment. Other zoom options (35-70 R and others) are heavier, costly and sharper but you may be surprised by Zuiko. It may be good enough for your usage. Personally I don't use it much now since I like primes more and carry 90mm and 135mm instead. But if you do like zoom's convenience then it is worth checking out.