Zeiss to Produce Biotar 75mm f/1.5 M Lens

B-A-C

MS Optical are also getting into the retro lens game - see the list of what is to come in the corner

https://leicarumors.com/2017/08/02/new-ms-optics-historica-prot-40mm-f6-3-lens-for-leica-m-mount.aspx/

https://leicarumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/MS-Optics-Historica-Prot-40mm-f_6.3-lens-for-Leica-M-mount-by-Miyazaki5-560x374.jpg

Fast weird lenses like the Biotar or Sonnetar appeal to me more than slow ones.

Well, I am not sure if "Meyer-Optik Görlitz" owns anything. It is just a brand name like "Voigtländer" or "Rollei" - not even an enterprise.  The owners are elsewhere: 

"In 2014, net SE, a publicly listed company (NETK) founded in 1997, working with brand manager Globell B.V., exhibited new lenses under the Meyer-Optik-Görlitz name at the Photokina trade fair and began delivering the lenses in December of the same year." (From Wikipedia).

If it's as good as the Zeiss 35mm f1.4, I would understand why some would want that combination over a 35/75 Summilux pair.

None of them behave like modern lenses at the wider apertures.

This is not why you'd buy these bespoke, quirky little things.

Think 950's but with better coatings.

Edited by james.liam

I have the original Biotar- it's an awesome lens:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

I wonder how much the new one will cost? If I could sell my vintage collectible Exakta mount lens for more than an M Mount coupled RF modern version- I think I would be all in!

Well, they list a 85mm 1,5 at 999 Euros (not clear if it's really available and in which mounts... but reports do exist) ; this could be a reasonable base for pricing a 75mm 1,5... af course, Leica RF coupling adds to the cost and even more to the price... 

"Biotar" probably was one of the brand names that Zeiss Ikon didn't keep as its property after the litigations with their East Germany counterparts.

Anyway, is fun to think that nowadays, with Leica M in a marginal position in the market, probably there is a wider choice of 3rd party lenses than in the '50s, when Leica  was a dominant presence in 35mm photography... :)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Interesting indeed. Depends how bulky it is though. Anything bigger and/or heavier than my Summilux 75/1.4 would not interest me.

Such a lens may though, raise interest in the original Summilux which is already difficult to obtain at a reasonable price. My own copy (far from mint) has been to Leica for service/calibration and is now an excellent performer and its wide-open sharpness, whilst perhaps not up to much newer designs, is by no means poor. There is no reason why a 75/1.5 should not perform well even utilising older design parameters but it will be interesting to see if it is built to high enough tolerances to ensure that performs as well as the Summilux for a viable price (as in: much lower than a used Summilux).

Such a lens may though, raise interest in the original Summilux which is already difficult to obtain at a reasonable price. My own copy (far from mint) has been to Leica for service/calibration and is now an excellent performer and its wide-open sharpness, whilst perhaps not up to much newer designs, is by no means poor. There is no reason why a 75/1.5 should not perform well even utilising older design parameters but it will be interesting to see if it is built to high enough tolerances to ensure that performs as well as the Summilux for a viable price (as in: much lower than a used Summilux).

This is the real doubt , indeed : a 75 1,5 with RF coupling MUST be made with excellent mechanics : and not only to assure tight tolerancing on the item when NEW, but also to assure DURATION of the initial quality and MAINTANABILITY if you must have the lens CLAd after some time : what about Meyer Optik customer service ? Question mark, of course... what about a 3rd party lab capability to work on the item ? another question mark... In general, to achieve low manufacturing time&cost, you must trade in for number of adjusting points... and even, trivially,for dissssembling/reassembling possibilities : this can be the problem for lenses of this kind.

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

well- by the looks of it it will cost well over 1000 Euro- (more likely 2000) which is me out. I'd be lucky to get 800 USD for my vintage Biotar. I don't need a 75mm lens that much.

But I'll be interested to see how it compares. Hopefully those guys at 7 Artisans make a version of this that is truly affordable ;-)

• Like 1

Interesting indeed. Depends how bulky it is though. Anything bigger and/or heavier than my Summilux 75/1.4 would not interest me.

It can be smaller and lighter by using fewer elements, which is likely.

The optical performance will be diminished, however there will be

those who love it for its imperfections couched in term of

'vintage' with modern coating.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

well- by the looks of it it will cost well over 1000 Euro- (more likely 2000) which is me out. ...

Well.. you are probably right... they list a Primoplan 75 f 1,9 at 1999 € (apparently, available also in M Mount) ... I'd be curios, though, to know if they really sell it, and in which numbers... :rolleyes: