Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've kept my Summarit-M 90mm in the dry cabinet for some time. I recently took it out and found the rubber ring turned white or kind of greyish. I tried a cleaner pen from Lens Potion. The website is www.LensPotion.com

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by mark_pw
  • Like 1

My Summarit 75 (identical in finishing) has also developed a gradual "de-blacking" of the rubber focusing ring... material isn't a top one, apparently... btw, I have not kept mine in a specific container... my feeling is that (considering that the greying, at the moment, is rather uneven on the barrel), this can be also an effect of exposure to light : a bit annoying.., so, thanks for your indication about the cleaner pen... when the gray will be well even (supposed one day it will become like this) i will make use of.

To restore the rubber's black colour (or at least to mitigate the discoloration), you can try to scrub the rubber with an old toothbrush. Dunk the brush into warm water with a drop of dish-washing agent, shake the water off so it's just damp, not drippingly wet, and scrub.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've kept my Summarit-M 90mm in the dry cabinet for some time. I recently took it out and found the rubber ring turned white or kind of greyish. I tried a cleaner pen from Lens Potion.

It is confusing that you post an image from Lens Potion's web page rather than images showing your own results.

It is confusing that you post an image from Lens Potion's web page rather than images showing your own results.

Maybe is the seller's page that displays Mark' results...  "co-marketing" isn't a mortal sin... :) (or has it a different name ?...)

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To restore the rubber's black colour (or at least to mitigate the discoloration), you can try to scrub the rubber with an old toothbrush. Dunk the brush into warm water with a drop of dish-washing agent, shake the water off so it's just damp, not drippingly wet, and scrub.

The dish washing agent is very likely to be soap based, i.e. alkaline and corrosive in nature. The agent erodes the rubber surface. I probably won't want to harm my Leica lenses by it. :o 

Canon EF lenses? ;)  May be.

• Thanks 1