Take S007 with M10?

Agent M10

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Anybody who has worked professionally is used to taking some sort of backup camera, what happens if your single body stops working? 

john

John

I'm doing it as a hobbyist so when the camera shits itself.....................iPhone 8 kicks in :) :) :)

Y would U ever think that a Leica camera would not work :) :) :)

Neil

Edited by NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I find this thread a little odd, if you own an S, why wouldn't you be using that? Last I checked, the S should give superior results especially for landscape/tripod. Seems like you should be packing the S with the M/135 as backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That just sounds nuts......... what's wrong with traveling with onebody and a couple of lenses......... crazyness

Neil

Neil,

traveling with only one camera and a couple of lenses is nuts. What if your camera body drops, breaks down or gets stolen?

I always travel with three bodys, Q, SL and S or Sony A9.

Think about it;-)

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I find this thread a little odd, if you own an S, why wouldn't you be using that? Last I checked, the S should give superior results especially for landscape/tripod. Seems like you should be packing the S with the M/135 as backup.

That's my point Paul. Shoot with the S and if it shits itself use your phone...................Since getting my replacement S007 and all my 3 lenses have got the new turbo charged AF motors I have had zero failurs ...........I love my S

Neil

John

I'm doing it as a hobbyist so when the camera shits itself.....................iPhone 8 kicks in :) :) :)

Y would U ever think that a Leica camera would not work :) :) :)

Neil

I am a hobbyist as well these days, how have you managed to get an iPhone 8?  I almost never use phones to take pictures, why would as I have Leica kit....

john

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hardley Large Pro with S and 2 S lens and SL and a Q? how do you manage? And your shoulder must be quite painful. I once did 3 S lens in and a M240 with 1 lens in a Packington and I wished I haven't done that...

When I say "traveling" I don´t mean "hiking". I travel by car and carrying this full packed bag doesn't take longer than 30min. When I decide to take a longer walk I use a smaller bag or a backpack with SL and Q or S and Q, it depends on what I want to shoot.

The Hadley large Pro is a big bag that takes SL with SL-Vario 24-90 on the left, S with attached lens in the middle and on the right side the S lens, on top of the lens a small divider and the Q on top. There is plenty of room left.

https://www.billingham.co.uk/hadley-large-pro.html

Best, Peter__

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Neil,

traveling with only one camera and a couple of lenses is nuts. What if your camera body drops, breaks down or gets stolen?

I always travel with three bodys, Q, SL and S or Sony A9.

Think about it;-)

Crazyness.................if your a hobbyist photographer and camera fails, go drink beer and use your iPhone to take sulfides. There is NO need to walk around looking like a plonker with 3 cameras around your neck.........craziness  

Neil

Crazyness.................if your a hobbyist photographer and camera fails, go drink beer and use your iPhone to take sulfides. There is NO need to walk around looking like a plonker with 3 cameras around your neck.........craziness  

Neil

Yes, you better start drinking beer from the beginning and enjoy your holidays;-)

Enjoy yourself buddy;-)

I pack multiple systems if I bring Leica S and take one or multiple out for day trip depend on what kind of trip it is once I was somewhere. It is a hustle but without gear in a dream place for photographer is a disaster.

For landscape, I think either S or 36M Nikon or 42M Sony will do fine. For street and city, I feel M is perfect tool for that, no need for more than 24M or better IQ. If any of above failed, other will do the job better than no tool at all.

But, I respect others perspective. Enjoy your holiday and use iPhone in case of gear failure is perfect fine to me as long as you are happy.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I pack multiple systems if I bring Leica S and take one or multiple out for day trip depend on what kind of trip it is once I was somewhere. It is a hustle but without gear in a dream place for photographer is a disaster.

For landscape, I think either S or 36M Nikon or 42M Sony will do fine. For street and city, I feel M is perfect tool for that, no need for more than 24M or better IQ. If any of above failed, other will do the job better than no tool at all.

But, I respect others perspective. Enjoy your holiday and use iPhone in case of gear failure is perfect fine to me as long as you are happy.

im always happy but I don't have a i10 like the OAP

Neil

That's what I have been saying all along..............Leica Soo7 and iPhone 8 as a backup

Never understood all these gearheads Jeff

Neil

You need to see a shrink if you want to better understand yourself. That could be a fun retirement activity.

Jeff

Isn´t one reason why we use Leicas because it´s a joy to use them? The only reason for me to take a picture with my iPhone is that I have GPS-data because the Q unfortunately doesn't´t deliver them.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Isn´t one reason why we use Leicas because it´s a joy to use them? The only reason for me to take a picture with my iPhone is that I have GPS-data because the Q unfortunately doesn't´t deliver them.

Absolutly it is

The reason I got rid of my Q was because my iPhone has the same FOV and takes better pictures in low light than my Q did !!!

Neil

I actually have two M10s. So I can take those or an M10 and the S. The Pelican case I have is the small, carry-on size. I guess the main question is whether the extra MPs of the S is worth the expended effort. 

As for a WA, I'm not that much of a WA photographer. We have some sites picked out which will probably take the 75mm and the 135mm. Thing is, the S's 180mm equates to something like a 140mm.

So, I would leave the 135mm at home and take the S with 180mm at least and the M10 but not too much overlap in angles. I would also take something wider than 50: 35mm but probably 28mm. Further I agree with eprom in #2. If I own a camera and/or a lens, I would never leave it at home, why else would I own it. Depends a bit on where you're staying but if that's safe I'd take everything I own. Nobody can predict or control how your creativity works in that situation unless you've been there before. Depending on the target of the day I choose what to take from headquarters (which is my Hadley pro)

So, I would leave the 135mm at home and take the S with 180mm at least and the M10 but not too much overlap in angles. I would also take something wider than 50: 35mm but probably 28mm. Further I agree with eprom in #2. If I own a camera and/or a lens, I would never leave it at home, why else would I own it. Depends a bit on where you're staying but if that's safe I'd take everything I own. Nobody can predict or control how your creativity works in that situation unless you've been there before. Depending on the target of the day I choose what to take from headquarters (which is my Hadley pro)

Thanks for the advice. Due to luggage restrictions and what I need to photograph , I took the 007's 35mm, 70mm, and 100mm. I've used the 100mm almost exclusively, but expect to use the 70mm most of the time tomorrow. I like the 180mm, but I believe it had too much reach for this project. M has stayed in the bag, although I personally like shooting with it more.