VSCO and M10

emilspix

18 hours ago, george-m said:

I tried - for me RNI 4 has successfully synced to Lightroom Mobile via Adobe Cloud. However it took much longer than VSCO or RNI 5. I suppose that's because RNI 4 has hundreds of megs of camera profiles in it, and Adobe Cloud is not the fastest cloud out there.

Personally I've changed my metering style after switching to RNI 5. Now I typically shoot underexposed by 1, 2 or even 3 EV. Sounds like a lot? And it is a lot. The picture comes out really dark. And then I apply an RNI profile (or preset) and push my exposure in Lightroom by 2 or 3 EV. And mostly it works like magic.

Not sure if I can explain the science behind this method, if there's any, but the results have really wide dynamic range and feel natural, very much like film. Wealth of detail, the colors look natural, nothing clips or blows out.

Here's how it looks:

That's really impressive!
I've never seen such a tonal recovery in a digital photo before, apart from HDRs.
But all the HDRs I've seen looked fake and overprocessed to me while this picture doesn't.
The highlight compression looks very much like film indeed!

Here's my try of the George-M's technique suggested above,
using slightly underexposed Leica M10 DNGs and RNI All Films 5 for Lightroom
(In fact I used it in Photoshop ACR, but the result should be the same, it's the same rendering engine)

Top - Kodak Ektar 100
Bottom - Kodak Gold 200 v2

It's highly subjective, but looks like RNI is in a different league compared to VSCO.

Probably the first "film emulation" I've ever seen that comes close to how the real emulsions used to work and look. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

2 hours ago, Cronilux said:

@evikne no matter if you deleted those profiles again. Publicly promoting piracy for a paid product is big no go. The seller probably spend a lot of time and knowledge to develop those profiles. If you can’t afford them (which I doubt), then you can’t try them. 

I am sorry I mentioned that. But I found very few picture examples on their website and no way to try out how they worked. My intention was absolutely to buy them if I was satisfied. But I am very glad I didn’t, because I wasn’t very happy with the results. I ended up with purchasing the RNI All Films 5 Pro instead (which were not cheap either).

Edit: I have now asked a moderator to delete the regrettable part of my post.

Edited by evikne
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/2/2018 at 9:44 PM, Nowhereman said:

@BJohn - VSCO has not released a Leica M10 profile, so that one still has to use the Standard profiles for DNG files. I've downloaded the unix script you've linked for converting the Leica Q to Leica M10 camera profiles, but don't how to get it script to work. Using a Mac computer, I've placed the script, the dcpTool and a VSCO Leica Q profile in the same directory, but the script doesn't load the Leica Q profile. Am I missing something?

Would be most grateful if you could post instructions on how to use the dcp-converter.rb script.

@Nowhereman if you or anyone else is interested, I just spent the better part of the last 3 days figuring out how to run this script. I ended up forking DHH's script, making some edits and getting it to run successfully. I also ended up emailing him at one point and he responded which was nice. See the modified script here, with instructions: https://gist.github.com/lucluxton/9b6d6bb97271b908e333ca3d083c66da

• 3 years later...
On 5/17/2020 at 6:16 PM, luc9488 said:

@Nowhereman if you or anyone else is interested, I just spent the better part of the last 3 days figuring out how to run this script. I ended up forking DHH's script, making some edits and getting it to run successfully. I also ended up emailing him at one point and he responded which was nice. See the modified script here, with instructions: https://gist.github.com/lucluxton/9b6d6bb97271b908e333ca3d083c66da

Thank you! This is great. Some of my profiles have converted successfully, but others return this error. Any idea why?

Decompiling ./input/.DS_Store into XML

Replacing camera model: LEICA Q (Typ 116) -> LEICA Q2

dcp-converter.rb:36:in `replace_camera_model': undefined method `content=' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)

from dcp-converter.rb:52:in `block in <main>'

from dcp-converter.rb:41:in `each'

from dcp-converter.rb:41:in `<main>'