VSCO and M10

emilspix

1 hour ago, Ray Vonn said:

One of the things I factored into getting a Leica was that I could forget about using these kind of programs.  I mean the unique rendering is one of the reasons we invest into the system isn't it?

I have recently purchased a VSCO film pack and played a little with it. I also make use of the new presets that are integrated in LR. Even though I love the rendering from my Leica equipment as it is, I use Leica first and foremost because of the user experience while I am out photographing. So when I'm back home, I may take the liberty of experimenting a little with the results.

And the unique rendering from the Leica lenses will still shine through, even with such presets applied.

Edited by evikne
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

@BJohn - VSCO has not released a Leica M10 profile, so that one still has to use the Standard profiles for DNG files. I've downloaded the unix script you've linked for converting the Leica Q to Leica M10 camera profiles, but don't how to get it script to work. Using a Mac computer, I've placed the script, the dcpTool and a VSCO Leica Q profile in the same directory, but the script doesn't load the Leica Q profile. Am I missing something?

Would be most grateful if you could post instructions on how to use the dcp-converter.rb script.

VSCO Film 01-07 has all been updated with support for the Leica M10. You should re-download all the installation packages from VSCO.co and re-install them so that you get the latest profiles. I've had custom profiles for my M10 for a while.

The current installers were all updated in August 2018.

Edited by indergaard
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/3/2018 at 11:25 AM, indergaard said:

VSCO Film 01-07 has all been updated with support for the Leica M10. You should re-download all the installation packages from VSCO.co and re-install them so that you get the latest profiles. I've had custom profiles for my M10 for a while.

Ah, great! Thanks for the info. Re-downloading now.

• 2 months later...

Retiring Desktop Presets 😱

While we honor our origins at VSCO, we’re also always moving forward. For that reason, we’re making the complete move from desktop to mobile starting March 1, 2019. From this point on, VSCO Presets for Desktop will no longer be available. For our latest mobile presets and editing tools, download the VSCO app and join as a member for $19.99 a year. For additional details, please visit our FAQ

Guest Nowhereman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not a great loss, as far as I am concerned. I essentially used two or three VSCO presets to see the direction I wanted to go in. Using Lightroom, I would start by applying the Automatic setting and adjusting that to the best look I could get with a few basic adjustments; then, I would save a Snapshot of that. To that Snapshot, I would try applying one or two of the (basic) VSCO setting — and then I would decide which one to use as the basis for the final adjustments: either the Snapshot from Lightroom or one of the VSCO presets.

As discussed earlier in this thread, using the VSCO settings requires each image to be tweaked individually — it's not possible to do this automatically, as it depends so much on the starting point of what the original DNG file looks like. Using VSCO it's easy to go to far, because I've found that usually I have to pull back on the VSCO settings. Having so many different variations of the basic VSCO settings, so that you end up having hundreds of them, has always struck me as braindead — it always seemed to me that it was much sicker and quicker to apply a few tweaks to the basic VSCO preset rather than laboriously trying many of the different options.

A couple of weeks  ago I tried presets in a package called M-Look Pro, which strike me as much more useful because I find that they seem to handle color casts a lot better (give a better starting point) than either VSCO or working directly from Lightroom. I've only used two of the color presets, Real Film (Typ 4) and Real Film (Typ 5) B&W. They work differently than VSCO in that, when you apply them, they go back to the original DNG file rather than keeping basic adjustments you've made to WB and Exposure, etc. Real Film (Typ 4) generally gives me better face tones in mixed light than I get with VSCO.  Real Film (Typ 5) B&W gets me much closer VSCO to what I get with Silver Efex.

Incidentally, someone told me that M-Looks Pro originated as a preset for getting the an M9-look from M240 files, although I don't know if that is true.

Edited by Nowhereman

• 2 months later...

Hey there,

Does anyone have the ACTUAL M10 profiles they can share?

I have had VSCO for ages and used them for my M9 and M240 after that. Got great results.

I just upgraded to an M10-p and I cannot get working profiles.

I converted M9 profiles using the tool and got some ok results but mostly it's not looking correct. Especially with the Kodak colour stocks I find skin tones to get very blotchy etc.

I e-mailed VSCO but of course they are not providing these profiles anymore. Any help would be fantastic :)

On 11/3/2018 at 7:25 AM, indergaard said:

Hey there!

Any chance you could share the M10 profiles? I've had VSCO for years but I just got an M10 (was with M9 and then M240 before)

I can't find the proper M10 profiles anywhere :(

1 hour ago, heycadet said:

Hey there!

Any chance you could share the M10 profiles? I've had VSCO for years but I just got an M10 (was with M9 and then M240 before)

I can't find the proper M10 profiles anywhere :(

I just sent you a PM with a Dropbox link.

3 hours ago, evikne said:

I just sent you a PM with a Dropbox link.

Upon further review it looks like you actually did send me all the profiles that were part of the package you had. So nothing was missing! 

It's just not the complete package which is what I had before.

The ones I did get from you however work perfect and I immediately can tell there's improvements over my home brew profiles.

If anyone has the complete package of M10 camera profiles. I'd be grateful.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/26/2019 at 1:04 AM, heycadet said:

Upon further review it looks like you actually did send me all the profiles that were part of the package you had. So nothing was missing! 

It's just not the complete package which is what I had before.

The ones I did get from you however work perfect and I immediately can tell there's improvements over my home brew profiles.

If anyone has the complete package of M10 camera profiles. I'd be grateful.

Hi could you please send me the PM me the link as well. i just got an M10 and missing the VSCO profile. Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

I downloaded all of the updated packs before VSCO pulled them but they honestly still don't work for me. The color just looks like garbage compared to how well the presets worked with the M240 as a base. 

That's been my struggle to be honest because I actually really liked the VSCO presets and had built my own workflow around them to suit my tastes and ever since getting the M10 I'm having to try and create a new workflow from scratch because I just can't get good color out of this thing.

• Like 1

Guest Nowhereman

I've preferred Leica M-Looks Pro, with which I find it easier to get better skin tones. As you can read in the preceding link these work quite differently from VSCO and are much cheaper; sometimes you need to pull back on the excessive builtin sharpening although, surprisingly, not always.

I've also had good experience with C1ick Match presets, although I found I have to pull back on the orange and red. Sometimes, these give more depth to the image but I haven't figured out why.  Also, the Really Nice Images presets seem to give better results than VSCO.

Generally, all these preset sets, except Leica M-Looks Pro, have to many presets and I only use two or three of the film simulations, and prefer to edit further myself rather than clicking on the many choices available.
Nowhereman Instagram

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 8:44 AM, evikne said:

I loved using the VSCO presets too, until I discovered that the profiles wouldn't sync with Lightroom Classic. Then I stopped using them.

I don't use Lightroom CC, just "Classic" and my VSCO presets are in there just fine. I wasn't able to use them in Lightroom CC though, is that perhaps what you meant?

5 minutes ago, Abram said:

I don't use Lightroom CC, just "Classic" and my VSCO presets are in there just fine. I wasn't able to use them in Lightroom CC though, is that perhaps what you meant?

The presets work fine in LR Classic, and they can be exported, but not synced to Adobe Cloud / Adobe CC. The VSCO profiles just disappeared and the photos looked horrible. I read in an Adobe forum that Adobe Classic couldn't sync (upload) the VSCO profiles. Syncing from Adobe CC works fine though, but only when the photos are natively processed here (which I never do). 

• 3 weeks later...

hej, i just got all m10 profiles for vsco 01-07 :) all converted by hand from m9 profiles with adobe dng editor. msg me ❤️ 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1