VSCO and M10

emilspix

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Anybody hear word on VSCO having a custom profile for the M10?

Their Q profile renders extraordinarily and I've been trying to get similar colors but I'm not having much success with the VSCO configs and the M10. Anyone experience similar?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, I used VSCO with good results with my M240. I emailed them asking about profiles for the M10 and they declined to comment - against policy, apparently.

I'm also not getting satisfactory results at the moment with M10 files.

• 3 months later...

I just got my M10 and I too am a VSCO user, I'm really hoping they release an update soon with an M10 profile! I've tried using the Standard ones and they're just not in sync with the M10 files (from what I've seen).

Guest Nowhereman

Not sure that it's really important to have an M10 custom profile for VSCO, although it may be desirable. Going by my experience with M9 color images (with the VSCO M9 profile), the VSCO presets were only a starting point: I used a couple of presets that I would apply to my initial LR processing — and then I would decide whether to continue with one of the VSCO presets or with my LR processing. 

With the M10, in LR, I use the embedded Leica M10 profile (not the Adobe one), and do the same thing that I did with the M9. I find that the extent of adjustment to the VSCO presets that I applied to M10 images (no M10 VSCO profile) is about the same that I did to M9 files (with VSCO M9 profile).

Also, thinking back to the time before there were M9 VSCO profiles, as far as I can recall, applying VSCO presets (without the VSCO profile) required much more extensive adjustments than, now, applying VSCO presets without M10 VSCO profiles. Has anyone else noticed that?

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m sorry im lost here but I’m really interested with vsco

What do you guys mean? Vsco presets only or the standalone app altogether?

Does it have Q profile?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

People here are talking about the VSCO packages you can purchase as a add-on to Adobe's Lightroom. 

• Like 1

With the profile of the Leica Q I get satisfiable results.

To convert the Leica Q profiles to the Leica M10, in order to get the profile automatically selected, you can use the following script:

https://gist.github.com/dhh/d3c8cf9309b662047257b7e583c3f595.

Kudos to https://twitter.com/dhh/status/841998204472295425, all credits belong to him.

Nonetheless, the presets quality is not the same as I was used to have with my Fuji X-T1. The sensor (Leica Q vs Leica M10) seems to differ a bit in terms of colour rendition.

Of course, you can edit the photographs after applying the preset and you may achieve feasible results. But in terms of applying a very specific film look to an image without editing much further, VSCO has really done a very good job. The close to perfect film look comes from a highly adjusted camera profile. I can not find the link to the blog article right now, but the VSCO guys really put a lot of effort in creating such profiles.

I hope that they release a Leica M10 profile for their presets soon.

Edited by BJohn

Guest Nowhereman
...Of course, you can edit the photographs after applying the preset and you may achieve feasible results. But in terms of applying a very specific film look to an image without editing much further, VSCO has really done a very good job. The close to perfect film look comes from a highly adjusted camera profile...

"The close to perfect film look" is not my experience with VSCO presets — even using them with the M9, for which VSCO has a camera profile. While I appreciate that VSCO has done a lot of work in making the presets, I cannot say that they really have a film look, although usually they will have a higher contrast than SOOC images. For example, with regard to color images, the presets do have some of the characteristics of some of the films, such as the blues that Ektar 100 produces, but sometimes those blues end up exaggerated with the VSCO preset. 

The fundamental problem is that any given film can look very different in contrast and graduation and hue, depending on the light and the exposure. Somewhat underexposed film on a rainy or overcast day will come out highly saturated. Thus, Kodachrome, whose general look many people loved, can look very different in different light and with different exposure, to the degree that often it would be difficult to identity a Kodachrome look.

Anyone who expects that VSCO presets will give you the look of a particular film are likely to be disappointed. My experience is that VSCO preset require further adjustment most of the time, even with a camera profile. Nevertheless, I find the presets useful because by applying them I can more easily determine the direction that I want to go in when post-processing the image. That is another reason that I feel it's not likely that an M10 VSCO file is going to substantially improve the experience of using VSCO presets, as stated in my earlier post.

For B&W images, I find Silver Efex much more useful than VSCO presets.

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

VSCO does not and will not ever render like film, because of reasons already stated. That's okay. It can still be useful, if you use it for what it's good at - which isn't emulating film but interpreting images in different ways as a starting point.

We should move on, or use film if you want a film look. Otherwise, there's really no technical reason to be sentimental about this. You shoot digital. There's no shame in that. Embrace the possibilities that come with that if you're gonna do it instead of limiting your output to some arbitrary standards that never were really standards and were only a result of the limits of that past technology. 

• Like 1

Hi jip thanks for the reply

Is that package in form of presets only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The VSCO package is in the form of film presets which can be individually adjusted directly to the dng file & to your own particular tastes in Lightroom or Photoshop Creative Cloud.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
Guest Nowhereman
On 11/13/2017 at 5:28 PM, BJohn said:

With the profile of the Leica Q I get satisfiable results.
To convert the Leica Q profiles to the Leica M10, in order to get the profile automatically selected, you can use the following script:

https://gist.github.com/dhh/d3c8cf9309b662047257b7e583c3f595.

Kudos to https://twitter.com/dhh/status/841998204472295425, all credits belong to him.

Nonetheless, the presets quality is not the same as I was used to have with my Fuji X-T1. The sensor (Leica Q vs Leica M10) seems to differ a bit in terms of colour rendition...
I hope that they release a Leica M10 profile for their presets soon.

@BJohn - VSCO has not released a Leica M10 profile, so that one still has to use the Standard profiles for DNG files. I've downloaded the unix script you've linked for converting the Leica Q to Leica M10 camera profiles, but don't how to get it script to work. Using a Mac computer, I've placed the script, the dcpTool and a VSCO Leica Q profile in the same directory, but the script doesn't load the Leica Q profile. Am I missing something?

Would be most grateful if you could post instructions on how to use the dcp-converter.rb script.

I'll admit I'm new to Leica having recently bought an M-E and the forum too but am still nevertheless surprised to see interest in VSCO.  One of the things I factored into getting a Leica was that I could forget about using these kind of programs.  I mean the unique rendering is one of the reasons we invest into the system isn't it?   Not much point making that image look like something that could be achieved with any other camera.  It's interesting though and I'll now look forward to learning from fellow forum members how and why they use the software.

Guest Nowhereman

@Ray Vonn - Essentially, for color images, I use a few of the VSCO Film presets to see the direction in which I want to go with a file. First, I process it with the t Lightroom tool and make a "snapshot" of that, if you know how hot to do that in LR. Then, I try one of the VSCO presets, to which I have to apply some adjustments. Finally, I make the final image from either the LR-processed snapshot or the adjusted VSCO preset. Sometimes, I end up using one, sometimes the other, as the final version. It's not a question of "making that image look like something that could be achieved with any other camera": it's what's you think is best for that particular image. In any case, straight-out-of-camera is not something that I want. 

When I want an image to be B&W, I generally process it with Silver Efex, running under LR, choosing one of six of my custom SEFEX presets — and then apply finishing touches in LR.

11 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

@Ray Vonn - Essentially, for color images, I use a few of the VSCO Film presets to see the direction in which I want to go with a file. First, I process it with the t Lightroom tool and make a "snapshot" of that, if you know how hot to do that in LR. Then, I try one of the VSCO presets, to which I have to apply some adjustments. Finally, I make the final image from either the LR-processed snapshot or the adjusted VSCO preset. Sometimes, I end up using one, sometimes the other, as the final version. It's not a question of "making that image look like something that could be achieved with any other camera": it's what's you think is best for that particular image. In any case, straight-out-of-camera is not something that I want. 

When I want an image to be B&W, I generally process it with Silver Efex, running under LR, choosing one of six of my custom SEFEX presets — and then apply finishing touches in LR.

Understood.  Can I ask what camera you're using?