M10 and what other body do you own?

mhicks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Leica M10, that I purchased in Dec. 2017, is my first Leica. I purchased a few Leica primes and I love it.

I shot Canon SLR and then pro DSLRS for about 40 years. 4 years ago I sold it all and moved to Fuji X cameras and excellent Fuji XF primes and zooms. My current Fuji X cameras is the X100F, XT2 and XH1. 

My main subject is travel vacation around the world. The lighter weight and smaller size of the Fuji X gear was a welcome change from the heavy Canon gear. I think that the resulting image quality that I now get with Fuji is superior to that of the Canon gear and Canon "L" lenses. The Fuji gear has been 100% reliable even when shooting in all kinds of weather. The Fuji lenses, especially the "Fujicron" 23, 35 and 50mm f2 primes are exception and very small.

With that said, the image quality from my new Leica is incredible. The micro-contrast and sharpness of the Summilux 50, Summicron 28, 35, 75 and 90 and Super Elmar 18 lenses are all incredible.

I used Lightroom since it's introduction but the RAW processing of FujiX files was not optimal. I switched to Capture One Pro about two years ago and the resulting image quality is much better. C1P is more capable than LR and no monthly subscription. You can see the results from Fuji and Leica on my website: www.budjames.photography

I have found that processing Leica DNG files in C1P is easy. Very little corrections are needed except for cropping and exposure tweaks. The images are very sharp with excellent contrast using the default settings of C1P. The Leica files need less attention than Fuji X files.

Overall, I am thrilled with my Leica purchase. I have a week trip later this month and I am only taking my Leica and a few primes. It will be my first trip with my Leica and without Fuji cameras.

Regards,

Bud James

www.budjames.photography

I really like the M10, it’s the most enjoyable digital camera I have ever owned. Yet for some reason I just haven’t hardly used it. I bought mine new last November and I still haven’t managed to shoot 1000 frames on it. I just can’t get away from film! I’ve shot film from the very beginning of my photographic journey going back 20 years now.

My partner cameras are the M-A and an M4. I leave my 21 Super Angulon on the M4 and I use my 35mm Summilux FLE on the M-A. I seldom shoot film and digital together so when I just shoot the M10 I bring along the 35.

In non-Leica terms I have a Nikon F4 I really enjoy with some great AIS primes (28 f/2, 55 Micro, 105 f/2.5), my beloved Hasselblad 500CM with 60 and 100 CF lenses and my only other digital camera, a Ricoh GR, which has been through the trenches and is almost broken now lol.

Abram, I too own a couple of Nikon F4's, for me they were the best of the F range of SLR's that Nikon has made. Built like tanks, great HP viewfinder and utterly reliable, mine worked professionally for a couple of decades without any problems or even servicing, as did the two FTN's too that I've owned since the late 60's and still have with me even though they're napping on the shelf.

As well as my digital M's, ( M10, M240 and the MM1 ), I also have the Q and on the film side of things a M7 plus a rather creaky M6 that instead of having rebuilt I have decided to replace with a MP ordered out of Leica's Ala Carte so I can get the .58 finder plus a couple of other minor customising choices.

A Bessa 4A rounds up the 35mm film gear.

A Nikon D810 takes care of work where focal lengths greater than 50mm are needed as well as reliable AF, also there's many things that a DSLR can do that are not so easy with an M RF. The lenses are good to excellent across the Semi-Pro to Pro' range and like Leica's M's lenses from decades back they work just fine on the new cameras too, a real plus. I have pre' AiS lenses up to recent AF/AIS lenses for that kit. I like the "Nikon look" in general.

I dislike EVF's so a Leica SL isn't for me, tried it, didn't like the viewfinder at all and the lenses are ridiculous in size. The Q's EVF I tolerate because the lens and the camera's general portability is truly excellent. The Q has proven to be a very good "B" / back-up camera on shoots, so that's still a "keeper" for me. It's easily accessible Macro mode has also proved very handy more than once.

A Panasonic GH4 primarily takes care of "B" Camera video needs, though I do sometimes use it for personal "snaps" too. Yes I know it's got an EVF, there's little choice in that but it's as good as, ( even better by my eye ), the SL's and the GH4 is a very good and adaptable camera system.

I still have my Pentax 67 kit from way back with a number of lenses, that really is still a great camera and I still go out with it when I feel I'd like to get some good B&W negatives, and for me it's still the best camera for portraiture. I love the "clunk" when that shutter fires!

There's also a 4x5 ShenHao that I like for the time you have to take the time to produce a slow image with.

Film I process myself, ( only using B&W for personal film work ), scan the negatives and print to A2 on an Epson 3800/3880 combo'. Anything larger I can get printed locally at a very good printer's atelier here in my small town. Darkroom printing days are well gone now....