M10 and what other body do you own?

mhicks

For every day carry other than the M10 it would be either a Fuji X100T, M3, Rollieflex Automat, or the big 'ole Crown Graphic. 

For special projects, etc. it's a Nikon system. I have a bunch of F series film bodies with funky prism finders, sports finders, etc. as well as a few crop sensor Nikon DSLR bodies that I use for macro, sports and high-speed special effects shots. I have a D850 on order.

How do you like the X1D? 

Love the X1D. Despite its quirks it's a fun camera to shoot and the IQ is as expected from the sensor it has. And Hasselblad is slowly rolling out significant improvements via firmware updates. It's the camera I travel with now.

However.... I'd still prefer a mirrorless S008 with no LENR if Leica would only get off their butts and make me one.

Gordon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For every day carry other than the M10 it would be either a Fuji X100T, M3, Rollieflex Automat, or the big 'ole Crown Graphic. 

For special projects, etc. it's a Nikon system. I have a bunch of F series film bodies with funky prism finders, sports finders, etc. as well as a few crop sensor Nikon DSLR bodies that I use for macro, sports and high-speed special effects shots. I have a D850 on order.

when fully loaded with all gear do you have a one hump camel or two

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So the question is: if you own the M10, do you pair it with another body when you travel?  If you do, which one(s) and what are your reasons for doing so? 

Leica M10 with 35mm, 90mm, and 21mm lenses plus:

Leica M6 to share M-mount lenses and to shoot film

or

Fuji X-Pro1 with 50-140mm (telephoto) for vacation travel

or

Fuji 6x9cm film rangefinder with fixed 65mm wide-angle lens for vacation travel to shoot scenics

or

Fuji X-Pro1 with 23mm, 56mm, 16mm, and 12mm lenses as backup

or

Fuji X-Pro1 with 16-55mm f/2.8 and 12mm f/2 as backup or for shooting video

or

Nikon SLR with 80-200mm f/2.8 zoom for sports

or

Nikon SLR with 500mm f/4 for birds and other wild life

or

Nikon SLR with 105mm macro lens for close-ups

or

Nikon SLR with 28mm PC lens for perspective control

or

Canon G15 mirrorless when shooting in recording studios or other places that require complete silence

or

Nikonos underwater camera with 35 and 80mm lenses for shooting under inclement weather conditions

or

Android smart phone when a lightweight backup is needed

I shoot an M-A alongside my M10, each with a 35mm lens mounted (they swap based on my preference but I usually have the 35 FLE on the M10 and the Canon 35 f/2 LTM on the M-A). I have a couple other cameras about but they don't see as much regular rotation (a late model Nikon F and a Hasselblad 500CM that's very special to me for personal reasons). Otherwise if I don't want to carry the Ms I use my iPhone or my Ricoh GR. I try not to keep too much equipment around as I tend to suffer from "analysis paralysis". I'm trying to stick to JUST 35mm lenses for at least the next year. So far I'm liking the tiny Canon as an alternate to the FLE.

• Like 1

M-P240, which I haven't sold yet, but has mostly been replaced by the

M10

M246 Monochrom.

The 10 & 246 do things differently so the possession of both is obvious. Leicas fit my style and what I shoot these days.

3 remaining Black Paint M4 bodies because I loved film and still do, tho don't shoot it much these days.

8 Leica (mostly ASPH) and 2 Canon LTM lenses to go with the above.

Nikon F3HP which I will not part with. Like the M4s above, lots of memories! Also a Nikon F4 which I keep forgetting to give to a local college for use in their program (I'd rather do that than take less than $200 for it.)

Lots of Nikon lenses (tho I have sold most of the more modern ones.)

Hasselblad 500CM body and 80mm lens.

Fuji X-Pro1 with 3 lenses (sold my 2 X-T1 bodies and 4 lenses.)

Sometimes autofocus does come in handy.

Kodak stereo camera - just because...

Loads of little misc cameras like a FED, 3 Olympus XA + variant film cameras (replaced by the Ricoh GRD IV) ...

Lots of weird lenses like an anamorphic CinemaScope lens I am trying to adapt to digital body use and antique lenses for 'pinhole' capability using my Sprinter Van as the camera body.

Oh... and yes, a slew of bags. But I've finally stopped buying them because I've found my perfect set of bags... but that's another thread!

Edited by coupdefoudre

Update......

I have multiple cameras but rarely use more than one at a time. (only exception is the Q + GX8 combo)

Leica M10 - For travel and photography as hobby. I focus on a rangefinder's strengths and not try to work around it's shortcomings. Nowadays I shoot with only 3 lenses (21 SEM, 35 FLE and 50 LUX)

Leica Q - Everyday carry (I consider this my "main" camera)

Fujifilm X-T2 - Everything else, mainly work and family related photos.

Leica M9P - Backup for M10  SOLD

Panasonic GX8 - I have a 42.5 Nocticron (85 eFL) fixed to the GX8 to pair with the Q for weddings and events. Both have blazing fast AF and they share the same battery  SOLD

NEW ADDITION: Leica CL - will replace the M9P as a backup for the M10, and replace the GX8 to pair up with the Q.

Hasselblad H6D-100c (highest image quality)

Hasselblad 500C (MF film is great)

Leica M3 DS (love with 50mm)

Leica M4 BP (smooth, quiet, beautiful)

Nikon F2AS (total reliability under all circumstances)

Nikon D5 (speed, action images)

Along with the M10, I have a M6.  In addition, I still have and use the old Nikon F2A SLR that I bought upon graduation from USAF photo school in 1978, but only use it with telephoto.  The reality is that the film cameras make up <1% of my use since getting the M10 (and the M9 before it) and I can foresee a time when I par it down to just the M10 and future Ms.  I can see getting rid of darkroom equipment in the future as I use it less and less.  I have a very nice Omega D5-XL with a turret full of Rodenstock lenses and negative carriers for 35mm/2.25x2.25/4x5 and a smaller B-22 35mm enlarger that I might put on the auction block pretty soon as I mostly just scan negatives now.

Just added a second M10, silver one this time.  Yes it is an investment, but my photographic wandering style is to use two identical camera bodies, each one paired with whichever 2 lenses I plan to use the most for that day.  My workaround to not having a zoom.  It minimizes lens changes, and that minimizes sensor dust and the chance to drop a lens.

• Like 1

I sold most of a sizeable Nikon kit (D4 and an arsenal of lenses from 14 - 300mm) to fund my return to Leica before I purchased my M10. I did hold on to my D800, 24-70mm f/2.8 zoom, and a slew of speedlights, though, and I do still pull it out from time to time. Most of the time, though, its the M10 with me.