M10 and what other body do you own?

mhicks

So the question is: if you own the M10, do you pair it with another body when you travel?  If you do, which one(s) and what are your reasons for doing so? 

Yes I shoot with a M10 and I'm very happy with it. It usually has a 50mm attached. I also carry a M240 with a 35mm lens. Sometimes I will carry a lens or two in my coat pocket. I have always liked shooting with 2 cameras at the same time. Carry over from the film days. Leica's are so small and light you can carry 2 all day. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have never known what to take on a travel vacation, and whatever I take, a lot of photos end up coming from my iPhone.  I used to always take two Nikon camera bodies on long trips, in case one goes on the fritz.  I would have on a trip two or three prime lenses and one or two zooms.  Occasionally I would go out during the day with both Nikon cameras (a D800 and formerly a D7100 but now a D500), each with its own lens attached.  Some of my best photos came from a month in France in 1985 with a Nikon F3T and just a 35mm and 85mm lens.  So I decided this January to travel light to New Zealand and took only my Nikon D800 plus a pocketable Sony RX100 (some of my best Antarctic photos were from the RX100).  Immediately on arrival, the D800 had an electronic failure and would not turn on (later sent to Nikon USA for repair).  And my RX100 started having a mind of its own on autofocus.  So my entire two week vacation was photographed solely with my iPhone X.  I got a lot of really good photos.  But I resolved that all future trips will have two Nikon bodies--a D800 and D500 (plus both a new Sony RX100v and my iPhone).  For lenses, I would select two or three prime lenses and a telephoto zoom.  All this plus accessories is too heavy.

So . . . now comes my new Leica M10 with 35mm and 50mm lenses.  I am HOPING to be able to travel lighter and NOT to simply ADD the Leica system to all the stuff described above.  Yet, I know that for many trips I will want a telephoto lens, and so at least one DSLR will be needed.  And my little Sony fits in a pocket and is great for handheld night shots.  But what I do not see is any reason to use many of my favorite prime lenses with one of my DSLR cameras.  So I suppose that my 21, 28, 40, 50 and 85mm lenses are going to stay at home and be used I know not when.

I am about to leave for the Caribbean and this time around my rig will be.

1 M10 with 50 Noc and 35 Lux. For almost anything I can shoot.

2 Sony A7rii with 25 Zeiss Batis mostly for gorillapod slow shutter and landscapes.

3 Ricoh GRii for my pocket.

I must admit I am tempted to just get a 21mm Leica and leave the Sony home. Sure the Sony has the detail nod over the M10, but character wins over pixels IMO. It’s hard for me not to use the M10 for everything.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M10 and MP (black paint, film) with 35 Cron ASPH and 50 Lux ASPH - Nothing can replace the feel of the MP, not even the M10, but it sure comes much closer than the M240. Tempted to re-purchase the 21 SEM and a collapsible 90/4 Macro-Elmar for a compact travel kit.

Sony A7rIII with Sony 28/2, 35/2.8, 55/1.8, 24-105 F4, Voigtlander 40/1.2 Aspherical, Røde VideoMic Pro - used for stills and 4K video.
I love the resolution and technical results from the A7rIII, but I'm just not bonding with it. Thought I would use it a lot more for video than I am doing, which was one of the main reasons I got it, as I wanted to play with video... Just lacking the motivation to do so.

And the wife has her own silver chrome MP, Zeiss Biogon 35/2 ZM, Hasselblad 501cm with a Zeiss 80/2.8 Planar CF-T*, Canon 5DIII, 50/1.8, 24-105 F4, 24mm TS-E II, all of which I can use when I want.

As of Dec 2017, it's M10 + CL for me. I also have a Monochrom 246 and various other Leica compacts and have previously had a Q (sold for the CL).

But the M+CL combo is perfect. One set of M lenses and a small pancake 28mm for quick snapshots/autofocus. 

Both come with me when I'm on a photography trip. The M goes with me around town when I know I want to take photos. The CL goes with me when photography is a secondary concern.

I just wish--I really, really wish--that every Leica camera didn't have a different battery.

If I were to consider an M10, I would follow my life-long habit and buy two. One to sling along every day, and one in safe storage just-in-case. If on the road, the spare would be close by.

...all the time being happy having three M9s, and nine film Ms that languish in storage.

Edited by pico

To answer the question asked in the title, yes, I own several Canon and Nikon digital and film SLR cameras, in addition to my recently-purchased M10. 

Regarding the questions asked in the narrative, I may pair the M10 with another camera body when I travel. If/When I do, well, it depends upon the location(s), and the planned subjects. My best bid/wildlife lens being a Canon EF 100-400mm L II, and my best macro lens being a Canon EF 100.2.8L, I would want to bring my Canon 5D Mark IV and/or 5Ds R cameras. Plus, my best 35mm lens is a Canon 35/1.4L II. My best low-light camera, able to AF in light so low I cannot see to focus manually, is my Nikon D5. My best wide-angle lenses, for now, are Nikkors.

When I was shooting evidentiary/forensic/crime scene images, from 2010 to very early 2018, Canon was my "primary" system. Now that I am retired, that has shifted, somewhat.

I've only just come across this thread. As well as the M10, I have the M240, M9, M8, all the main film Ms from the M3 to the M7 (with the exception of the M6 TTL) and 30+ LTM bodies. I am a collector, of course, and my main area of interest is the LTM model range with a particular focus on the early black and nickel models. I also have other makes in my collection, including a pair of Reids, a Corfield and a Leotax. I use my collector's items from time to time, but nowadays the M10 and M240 get the most use for digital and for film it is usually an M3 or a IIf Red Dial, both from the 1950s.

William

I've only just come across this thread. As well as the M10, I have the M240, M9, M8, all the main film Ms from the M3 to the M7 (with the exception of the M6 TTL) and 30+ LTM bodies. I am a collector, of course, and my main area of interest is the LTM model range with a particular focus on the early black and nickel models. I also have other makes in my collection, including a pair of Reids, a Corfield and a Leotax. I use my collector's items from time to time, but nowadays the M10 and M240 get the most use for digital and for film it is usually an M3 or a IIf Red Dial, both from the 1950s.

William

A very nice collection William

• Like 1

I also have a diverse accumulation of models acquired over 50 years. Over that time I usually would travel with an M and an SLR (for long lenses and close up) - either a Leicaflex or R, or a Pentax MX for a smaller kit. Most recently on trips it would be an M9 or 10 and my M6 for film capture. Shooting both, I still find times I like the film image better. When packing very light I used to take only a Leica (film) CL, and more recently a Fuji X100S, as it’s easy for my wife to use.

When we did a study tour in Israel requiring much hiking I just took a Panasonic superzoom small sensor, and appreciated being able to get a shot of anything without messing with lenses and kit. I did not envy those others on the trip lugging a Nikon dSLR kit and missing shots while changing (and dropping) lenses. The trip focus wasn't photography, but I’ve used those snapshots a lot for lectures an such.