Leica M10 and glue

willemr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I picked up my M10 today (happy as a child), but got annoyed during the unpacking of the camera. De plastic foil protecting the cover plate as kinda attached to it. And with attached I mean it literally.

When I removed it, the plastic came of, but the glue not so much. Nothing a bit of warm water and mild detergent couldn't solve (no pun intended).

The attached photo shows the problem. Everything shiny is the glue.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Anyone else experienced this?

I reported it to the dealer, and they said they would take it up the chain.

I'm convinced a bit of white spirit will remove it, as did your soapy water. Next time take the base plate off, warm  bit with a hair dryer and pull the foil off ;) I must confess that tis example must have been extraordinarily attached to your camera. :o

• Like 1

I'm convinced a bit of white spirit will remove it, as did your soapy water. Next time take the base plate off, warm  bit with a hair dryer and pull the foil off ;) I must confess that tis example must have been extraordinarily attached to your camera. :o

Well, I hope that there won't be a next time in the foreseeable future. A Leica M once every 7 or 8 years is expensive enough  :p 

I tried that with the M9 years ago, but adding and removing the arca-swiss plate to the bottom plate destroyed the foil (cracked, blistered, etc) with was much harder to remove in the end. And it didn't do much for protection since its the corners /edges of the plate that take a beating a chip the paint (in my experience). The parts where the foil doesn't reach. And if you drop the camera (blasphemy) with foil, the foil is useless as anyway.

It's very easy to get it off with WD-40.

Give it a try...

Peer

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by peer_kugler
  • Like 1

I think most of us leave them on - also seems to be a big plus point when you come to sell. In fact if you pay for a full service with Leice they replace the protector if it is missing.

Why worry about the resale during the years you're actually using the camera? basically you are protecting YOUR baseplate for the next owner. Makes no sense to me.

• Like 1

I picked up my M10 today (happy as a child), but got annoyed during the unpacking of the camera. De plastic foil protecting the cover plate as kinda attached to it. And with attached I mean it literally.

When I removed it, the plastic came of, but the glue not so much. Nothing a bit of warm water and mild detergent couldn't solve (no pun intended).

The attached photo shows the problem. Everything shiny is the glue.

IMG_8681 small.jpg

Anyone else experienced this?

I reported it to the dealer, and they said they would take it up the chain.

I would insist that they send it over to Germany! !