Repair of my Leica S 006

jip

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I guess there's a reason Leica's up for sale now... money made...

Leica is not up for sale. Blackstone wants to sell their 45% stake. It seems Blackstone will gain a nice return on investment.

This is how investment groups, like Blackstone, work.

Jesse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 006 camera has been out for repair 6 weeks and counting. This time I had it sent out for the rubber covering and they say it's delayed because of a part. 

Just so other Leica S users know, the rubber cover does not always go back into its original place because it becomes irregular in shape. Simply glueing it yourself won't work. I find the biggest problem is the media card door and the thumb area near the dial. 

The 006 body has many flaws that were never corrected by Leica. I hope the 007 owners out there are having good luck so far. I'd like to get the next generation of the Leica (008) but now looking at other options from Phase One or Hasselblad. I can only go so long with the many repairs I need to have done.

I own the 24mm, 120mm cs and 24-90mm lenses and each one was repaired for motor issues. 4-8 weeks average each to be fixed. The 120mm cs is currently out on repair for the 2nd time for the motor. Not sure if Leica finally resolved the issue. No loaner lens available and I tried to get one one. 

Leica should be embarrassed but they continue with their poor communications and service. So far I consider the S-System a luxury camera but not a professional camera until Leica can cater to true professional requirements. 

Simply gluing it myself worked fine. I didn't wait for it to fall off. I did the same with my M9. Of course, you need good clamps for the job to set right, but that's much better than being without a camera for one week, let alone six.

My first 006 rubber delaminated at the battery door and I glue it myself, and horror of horror it delaminate again (I guess I used the wrong glue) and the surface is full of glue residue that I can't re-glue it back again....

Anyway, my second 006 is fine and 007 seems fine too.

Sorry to hear your woes, Jip. If it's any consolation: I waited and saved and waited and saved and saved for three years to afford an S. Got an S2-P in June. First couple shots of sky showed stuff on the sensor. Took it back to the store next day, and had it sent to Leica Japan through them; was it dust, was it something else? News came back that the camera needed to go to Wetzlar, so of course I said yes do that [i need a working camera for work]. That was 8th June, two months ago. And counting.

I waited three years so I tell myself I can wait a couple months or more, and I can, but the agony is almost unbearable. I just want to shoot photographs with a Leica S, even though I own one, I still can't!

Hope yours comes back to you soon and in ship-shape. 

Edited by TomLiles

What I don’t understand is why people don’t find a decent tube of glue and repair it yourself? Before it comes off and loses shape?

A second hand buyer will probably not check that the glue under the card door cover is «Leica grade» ?

Edited by erlingmm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What I don't get are these useless waiting times. The job is normally done in a day or two. So why not settle for relatively short time windows, so the item does not have to sit on Wetzlar shelves for weeks and weeks and we get more reliable dates because things can be planned.

What I don't get are these useless waiting times. The job is normally done in a day or two. So why not settle for relatively short time windows, so the item does not have to sit on Wetzlar shelves for weeks and weeks and we get more reliable dates because things can be planned.

I think they have set priorities, for example fixing the AF-problems or the lenses, fixing some problems with the M10 and so on.

I'm just surprised about the rubber of the later models, as my S2 looks like new after some years of use now.

It was delivered at my home, I was not home (I am in Switzerland...) Will pick it up when I'm home... will tell you guys how good the repair was done and if any of the problems still persist or that it's fully fixed. 

:)

• 2 weeks later...

So as a follow up,

Everything was not in order, lots of problems some even bigger after than before the repair which cost me +/- 700 euro.

Mirror which they re-aligned they said was even further out of alignment and what I saw in the viewfinder was not at all what the sensor captured:

More on the sensor at the top than in the viewfinder, and a lot less on the sensor than at the bottom of the viewfinder, so much for What You See Is What You Get.

Also the minute I put on my Leica Summarit-S 70mm ASPH. CS the autofocus died.

Contacted Leica and they said 'ooh just ship it in again and we'll repair it' as if it's the most normal thing ever to charge 700 euro for a repair and then fuck up the camera even more than how it came in their shop.

And now they charge me the 40 euro service fee again which I am now emailing about me not willing to pay it!

C'mon charge me 40 euro while they didn't even repair the camera in the first place, it starts becoming a mater of principle rather than money!

They did send me a loaner this time, which is fully functional (photography wise) but the top LCD display is broken sort of... yet another Leica S with a problem... and the 70mm lens they supplied as a loaner sounds like it's AF motor is gonna die soon... rather than a equal "bzzzzz" through the whole focusing range it goes sorta of like "BZZZzzzzzZZZZZzzzzzzuhhhhhhh" (did I write that like it can be understood? :p

• Like 1

Early this year I sent my S 007 in for rearmoring, and ended up waiting 4+ months and paying over USD 1500 for repairs of previously unseen problems. This was shocking to me because my S 007 had been fully functional, and my previous repair of the S2 (cracked sensor and also peeled armor) was effectively free.

I was given a loaner unit, thankfully, but it also had a problem: it often took 15 seconds or so after powering on to recognize an SD card, sometimes not at all.

I remember another recent post recounting an unexpectedly expensive repair of an S camera. I hope this isn't a trend--rearmoring that turns out to be much more than that.

Edited by alan.y

Sorry to hear that Jip. How come they are messing about with the mirror alignment on a rubber body armor replacement?

They claimed it was 'broken/miss-aligned due to external shock' which I paid close to 700 euro for, and they made things worse... (before I didn't even notice something was wrong, after it came back 'repaired' I clearly did: viewfinder was blurry at the bottom, how can QC miss this?!)

• Like 1

I was very close to get an S2 or S some time ago, but finally I am happy that I spend a bit more and got a Hasselblad X1D that is working well.

Sold most of my Leica stuff and kept only a M8.2 and a rigid summicron from 1957 for nostalgic reasons and a v-lux for my kids.

John

That is tough, jip. I feel for you. I hope they waived that 40 Euro; charging the customer for your own incompetence is not funny, in the slightest.

News like this certainly doesn't line up with reports from Leica themselves that they had set up a more professionally oriented service division to deal with the S in particular. That reported new attitude to service coupled with the free and complete fix for the lens issue: those two things are what pushed me over the edge and to take the financial leap and move into the S system. The S2-P I managed to get comes back from Wetzlar in about a month [fingers crossed], and I will not be pleased if they have done something stupid like eff with the mirror alignment and not notice. And then charge me to fix it.

I think positive thoughts though, and stay cognizant of why we all did this in the first place: the Leica S juice is usually worth the squeeze.

[that is our faith]