Repair of my Leica S 006

jip

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have my Leica S 006 in Germany for repair of the rubber covering that keeps coming lose (this is the second time it will be replaced... fucking eco glue they use...)

Now it's been in Germany for over a month for the replacement of the rubber covering of the body, I just got of the phone... 'we are waiting for parts'.

Which is to say:

"We don't even have the rubber covering of your camera which is within warranty in stock, so you'll have to just be stuck without camera for over 10% of your warranty period."

I'm getting really tired of Leica service which although everybody always claims is great actually just actually sucks since they take over a month to replace a piece of rubber on the outside of the camera. The people at Leica are great but their service is not... So to say this has nothing to do with the people doing the repairs and helping me, it's the management that fails to stock up on simple items as rubber cover of a Leica S camera. 

All the while they promised me (before I send it in) that it would "only take 1 week at most!"

Also to say anything Leica S related I've owned has failed within 6 months of purchase date... 

Leica S-Adapter C that had a firmware problem that they couldn't fix so replaced the whole adapter,

Leica S body that had a virtual horizon that didn't work as it was supposed to (was afixed in camera 45º wrong...) 

Leica S body where the rubber came lose 3 months after owning it, was then repaired and came lose again 3 months later.

Leica S lens autofocus problems...

Okay my rant ends here.

I always tell people: Ooh the Leica S is amazing, and great... when it works, which more often than not it doesn't. 

Disclaimer: It's not the people at Leica, they are all great so if anyone of them ever reads this please don't take offense. It's the management that sucks, they makes it impossible for Leica's employees to do their work properly since apparently they cut corners when it comes to stock. 

Edited by jip

Jip, sorry to hear it. Has Leica offered a loaner while you wait. It seems to me that the warranty for my certified S 006 for three year included a user if repairs were necessary. 

As for me, Leica just got my 35mm S for motor repair ("4-6 weeks") and M9 sensor replacement ("8-12 weeks sometimes more"). I guess the key is to have several Leica systems that you can use while the others go back to the source. Or a Kodak Instamatic. That thing never broke. Or even a pin hole box. 

David

I hear you. Over the years, four out of five cameras I bought from them developed some problem. Mostly, the service turnaround time was very good, but my M10 seems to sit there now for weeks to come for some rather simple stuff. I feel the were just flooded with too much warranty repair - M9/MM sensor replacement, S lens gear box replacements, TL2 issues - god knows what else. It seems to me buying used is actually a bonus. My S2 just had service done and ran through all the initial issues. Hope it lasts for a while now.

Honestly, I think they have to do something on the matter - both ends: quality control and service turn-around. Not sure though we see this happening very soon.

Edited by Photon42

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Problem with the rubber on the Leica S body is that on the card door the rubber comes of, but as it comes loose over time it seems it changes shape, because once it half way lose, it no longer even fits. 

I've always assumed "missing spare parts," which was told to me about three different repairs, to be a generic excuse and a euphemism for "we are slow and disorganized." Each time this excuse came out only after I ask after the repair after two or three months of silence.

Sorry Jip, 

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for your M9 in six weeks.  They may have improved but I was pretty disappointed mine took so long. They also promised the S (006) would turn around quicker but nothing yet!