Coding lenses with replacement mounts and black lacquer

flyfisherfred

Hi Fred, I did this some time ago and used Humbrol brand model paint. It worked fine but I took the mounts off again quickly when I realised the machinings were good but not as good as Leica. Other people with more experience may tell you different, but I felt that machinings that made the lenses slightly stiff or slack to mount were almost bound to introduce rangefinder inaccuracies.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Jin finance+GM black and Arctic white touch up paint.    No issues with M9 except some mounts were too thick by .001" and one was thicker on one side than the other.  This will ruin your day.

The key to stop focus binding is to tighten a bit at a time with a star pattern like lug nuts on a car. Check after each round.

BTW tighten in small steps will prevent rotor warping.  Factory does all 5 at once.   Garages do one at a time to full torque and your brakes pulsate.   I do not let them touch my car.  

• 4 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I used gloss black GM car paint and it is fine.

Problem is the mounts are off and you need machinists tools to measure & correct if possible.

And you need to tighten them properly so you do not bind up the focus.  Move around in a star pattern like car lug nuts tightening a bit at a time and checking binding after each turn.  If you do not understand,  then give the lens to Leica.  They have tools to do it and a home hack is not necessary.

• Like 2

What lens are you trying to code ?

I tried with a ZM 35, with Jinfinance's flange, but was a failure as the flange of my lens was also acting as a screw for focusing, and not the one they shipped to me. I tried with a ZM 21, by dremeling the flange, and using some paint on it, and that did not work either. So, two attempts for me, with zero success to report.

• Like 1