M8 s/n 3333249

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone here still have this camera registered with Leica.

I purchased it from a University lecturer on Jan 1st 2016, came with all items inc. box etc., but I can't register it alongside my D2 and M6 as someone still has it listed as theirs.

Regards,

Graham

Graham, I think you can solve this problem directly with Leica Germany. Just send them an email with your proof of purchase. Enjoy your M8. I still have mine. Don't forget about filters for your lenses.i

Graham, I think you can solve this problem directly with Leica Germany. Just send them an email with your proof of purchase. Enjoy your M8. I still have mine. Don't forget about filters for your lenses.i

Nope, I think this isn't possible. I bought a used M9 and although i have a signed receipt the CS in Wetzlar would not be able to register my M9, because a previous owner forgot to deregister the camera. Only the owner who registered the camera can deregister it <- Leica says!

Then the policy has changed. It used to be possible with historic evidence on the old forum. What happens when owners die? Does that collection disappear from the records, even after legitimate transfer of ownership?

Hi ali, i asked leica support to register my m8, this was the answer:

Leica support: There are two ways for a de-registration and an ownership transfer in the Leica Owners’ Area:

1.) Purchase from an private seller:

Contact the seller on your behalf and ask, if he is able to delete the camera from his account. Then a product registration would be possible for you again.

Please note that you have no entitlement to download Lightroom when the software has been already downloaded twice by the previous owner.

2) Purchase from an authorized Leica dealer:

Please send me scans of following documents: proof of purchase or alternatively an receipt or invoice in addition with the camera’s warranty card + TAN code (last page with the serial number). Then I will unregister the camera and check, if the software still is available for you.

But this was the outcome [emoji2]

Leica support: I contacted the registered owner of the M8. He gave me the permission to delete the camera registration. Please be informed that I unregistered the camera. Now you can register your camera.

This was march 2017

Edited by brunomigas

I have everything that came with the camera (except the 12V dc lead, very kindly sent to me by a Leica owner in Germany).

Leica have asked for a scan of the Warranty Card and invoice.

Private purchase - no invoice.  So I will send them a copy of the Warranty Card (and Passport which shows the first owner).

I do not know which of possibly 2 or more previous owners registered the camera.

Hopefully Leica will be able to resolve the issue :)

And David, I have UV/IR filters for both current 25 & 50 mm lenses :)

Thank you all for pointing me in the right direction.  Happy days!

Cheers,

Graham

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Nope, I think this isn't possible. I bought a used M9 and although i have a signed receipt the CS in Wetzlar would not be able to register my M9, because a previous owner forgot to deregister the camera. Only the owner who registered the camera can deregister it <- Leica says!

In this case Leica seems to believe that we live in a 'perfect world' where everyone follows the' rules' all of the time. A little bit of 'outside the box' thinking on their part is needed here. Changes to registered ownership should obviously be evidence based, of course.

William

In this case Leica seems to believe that we live in a 'perfect world' where everyone follows the' rules' all of the time. A little bit of 'outside the box' thinking on their part is needed here. Changes to registered ownership should obviously be evidence based, of course.

I can see their reticence as registration could be seen as giving a seller 'legitmacy' but as you say, an evidence based approach would be more equitable. But equally this can be difficult if its a private purchase without some evidence of the money being withdrawn/changing hands or whatever.

Just an update, after I sent in scanned copies of Warranty and Passport:

"Dear …Graham

Thank you for sending your paperwork in order to finish the ownership transfer.
Please note, that I unlocked the serial number 3333249 in our system, so you are entitled to register this Leica M8 on your name. 

You can register directly with the link here: https://owners.leica-camera.com/index.php/en/login
Good luck and enjoy our product.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / With kind regards"

Just off to register my M8 :) :)

• Like 4