what slow focus?

antigallican

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"quality is insane" sounds about right. Regarding AF speed, it's not just the heavy glass elements to move but also the algorithm is tuned to optimise accuracy. I think Leica should provide a speed-optimised AF mode for users when they want that. For example the accuracy-optimised is assigned to the AF/AE lock button while the speed-optimised is assigned to half press of the shutter release.

This is a great idea. Or like Fujifilm did with the GFX, you can toggle between speed-based and "normal/more accurate" autofocus. I'm not sure if Fujifilm does that with their entire lineup, but its a great feature. Alternatively, I would think Leica could simply have the autofocus like it is (more accurate) for single shot, but optimize continuous mode for speed.

Edited by hdmesa

Ive had the SL for some months but only bought the 24-90 about ten days ago. The internet is covered in complaints about slow autofocus on the pair. I don't get it. Mine is as fast as anything - I use a d810 too. The Leica in use is similar or maybe even quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen complaints about the 50, but not the 24-90 autofocus speed. A lot of pre-production and first-version firmware reviews are still out there – always check the dates on reviews and adjust your mindset accordingly  :) My 24-90 is remarkably close in speed to my Q, which is quite a feat considering the size of the glass elements being moved around. Also don't forget you can't really compare the 24-90 with a 24-70 from another brand. Leica really hit it out of the park putting 24-70 2.8 quality into a 24-105 type of zoom. I can't tell you how many times on Canon I picked up my 24-105 over the 24-70 simply because it got me those shots from 80-100 range. Getting the 24-90 range was a big selling point for me to adopt the SL system.

Edited by hdmesa

I've seen complaints about the 50, but not the 24-90 autofocus speed. A lot of pre-production and first-version firmware reviews are still out there – always check the dates on reviews and adjust your mindset accordingly  :) My 24-90 is remarkably close in speed to my Q, which is quite a feat considering the size of the glass elements being moved around. Also don't forget you can't really compare the 24-90 with a 24-70 from another brand. Leica really hit it out of the park putting 24-70 2.8 quality into a 24-105 type of zoom. I can't tell you how many times on Canon I picked up my 24-105 over the 24-70 simply because it got me those shots from 80-100 range. Getting the 24-90 range was a big selling point for me to adopt the SL system.

makes me question about my 50mm purchase. never use zoom lens, but from reviews and 1 day trial, i actually find 24-90 insanely amazing and you're right, fast af. hopefully there's a firmware on the 50mm.

• Like 1

Why are you interested in reading about complaints? You should rather try to use your equipment in the best way.

The SL 50 is what it is - very precise. The 90-280 is the fastest, and the 24-90 is also very fast.

The new primes promise Dual Syncro Drive and high AF speed. The 50mm simply does not sport that feature. So what ?

Use each lens for what it is best. The choice is limited so it's not too difficult to keep track.

I do that also with other brands - so what ? Any brand that has exclusively only the VERY VERY fastest (AF) lenses ?

Not that I am aware of ...

• Like 1