M10 w/ lens waterproof

stump4545

Advertisement (gone after registration)

sure - i drowned my M8 and soaked my M9 in the rainforest. Both survived.

My M9 and M240 both survived use in coastal storms and the general horizontal rain that is part of daily life in the highlands. I expect the same from my M10 but accept that it's my risk.

• Like 1

IIRC Tina Marley, one of our Members, used her M8 in extreme conditions in Honduras...even dunked it into a river. The camera was fine.

I use a bag if the weather is dodgy.

...just be sensible and carry a towel or microfibre cloth, to protect and wipe.

Edited by david strachan
  • Like 1

For me VF fogging (and not able to focus other than infinity) is a bigger problem in the rain for my M240. I have shot multiple times more than an hour in the rain. Towards the end VF starts fogging. I also have had water getting in between bottom plate and the body (but it didn't get inside the rubber seal protecting battery). I think M10 has a better seal in the bottom plate.

Lens mounts designed for weatherproofing (e.g. SL) have a rubber seal. The M mount was designed around 1950 and doesn't. Despite one-off happy experiences reported here, I'd rather believe in rigorous test standards and statistics. 

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

Lens mounts designed for weatherproofing (e.g. SL) have a rubber seal. The M mount was designed around 1950 and doesn't. Despite one-off happy experiences reported here, I'd rather believe in rigorous test standards and statistics.

Me too, normally qualified by an IP rating.

Apart from exposing the Akadamie camera mentioned earlier, my own M240 has had only short periods being unprotected in the rain, and then I dry it off with kitchen roll or whatever is to hand. Front-most element has a filter attached.

c0dbffcacb1b638d19b1f110a3e1600a.jpg

242392fdc7ced3e92548adf348ee6f15.jpg

Shield it as much as possible even during shooting in pouring rain

Wipe dry thoroughly as soon as possible

Separate lens from body and let the humidity get absorbed in a dry environment

In the end it's your personal risk so use common sense

May I ask where I can find this hood ?

For me VF fogging (and not able to focus other than infinity) is a bigger problem in the rain for my M240. I have shot multiple times more than an hour in the rain. Towards the end VF starts fogging. I also have had water getting in between bottom plate and the body (but it didn't get inside the rubber seal protecting battery). I think M10 has a better seal in the bottom plate.

The RRS bottom plate for the M240 provides better sealing than the stock plate.

Jeff

• Like 1

I've found the biggest weakness of the M 240 were the bottom plate and the shutter button. You can keep the shutter dry(er) with a soft release or something else that screws in the top but overall it's just not perfect for a lot of water. That being said, I've drenched the damn thing - probably dozens of times - before it became an issue. And that camera was damaged from other severe impacts too, so perhaps the more gently treated Leicas are OK. 

I am getting the m10 in a few days and will see if it's a lot better sealed. 

how waterproof is a M10 w/ lens attached?

if I have my M10 with summarit lens attached at the beach and it falls in the saltwater for a couple of seconds is it ruined?  freshwater lake?

Leica did not claim that the lens was water-proof. You are on your own.

Don't do stupid things.

Edited by pico

I've found the biggest weakness of the M 240 were the bottom plate and the shutter button. You can keep the shutter dry(er) with a soft release or something else that screws in the top but overall it's just not perfect for a lot of water. That being said, I've drenched the damn thing - probably dozens of times - before it became an issue. And that camera was damaged from other severe impacts too, so perhaps the more gently treated Leicas are OK. 

I am getting the m10 in a few days and will see if it's a lot better sealed. 

The shutter button is not a problem. The housing is not waterproof, but it is sealed from the body itself.

As for the effects of heavy use: I sent my M9 in for a sensor replacement. I do not pamper my cameras, but I do not abuse them either. The rear bodyshell had to be replaced ( at no great cost) as it had -invisible from the outside- impact damage that affected the seal to the top.

Leica did not claim that the lens was water-proof. You are on your own.

Don't do stupid things.

Nor does Leica claim that the camera itself is waterproof. Dunking it is definitely a no-no.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps the shutter is sealed, but from my limited experience on the M10 it was the weakest seal. It failed most frequently. 

I've just soaked my M10 quite a bit and it's been fine. Definitely robust. Wouldn't worry about getting it wet too much. 

• 6 months later...

Degrees of water resistance/waterproofness are notoriously difficult to quantify in reality, and  although a series of requirements are defined, they tend to require static tests which aren't very useful in practical situations. Here's my take on this. From Leica's description of the M10 on their website:

"Further protection against light showers, dust and bad weather is provided by special rubber seals."

There is no claimed IP rating that I can find, however the wording is similar to IP53 (the two letters relate to dust and then water):

5 : Ingress of dust is not entirely prevented, but it must not enter in sufficient quantity to interfere with the satisfactory operation of the equipment; complete protection against contact.

3 : Water falling as a spray at any angle up to 60° from the vertical shall have no harmful effect

So it could be argued that whilst the M10 is intended to survive in IP53 conditions, the wording may suggest that protection might not have actually been tested to any IP rating, so no actual IP rating is claimed. Rubber seals are used to provide such protection though so fitting them should minimise the relevant risks.

Nor really related to Leica but i have had my Nikon D800 submerged in salt water (big wave) and it has survived. I have dropped a compact camera in salt water and it kind of survived, at least it still take photos (no worse than before). I routinely use my M10 and previously my M9 in rain, no effects so far. 

However. None of the cameras are specified to handle water. The D800 and M10 are "weather protected" but the manufacturers are notoriously unhappy about exactly explaining what that means and have no promise that the cameras will not be affected. 

Most of the time there will be no problem, even if you drop it in water for a short moment there will probably be no long lasting effects. The word probably is importand. It might were well be ruined. 

In the end, what is the point of having anything if not to use it?