M10 w/ lens waterproof

stump4545

Advertisement (gone after registration)

how waterproof is a M10 w/ lens attached?

if I have my M10 with summarit lens attached at the beach and it falls in the saltwater for a couple of seconds is it ruined?  freshwater lake?

can it be heavily splashed at least?

can the lens get really wet?

not sure what the limits are?

thanks a lot.

• Like 1

As discussed in another recent thread, Leica gives no specific assurances about water/weather proofing of most of its cameras, including the M10.

Are you feeling lucky?

In your shoes, I would start with the assumption that the answers to your questions are: yes, yes, no, no, nor is anyone.

Edited by LocalHero1953

Thanks for this post, I have to take extra precautions when I shoot the M10 in humid and seaside, in small boats in open seas and waterfalls, or snow storms. I have shot with Canon 5D2 and did not think about it under a tall waterfall, I only noticed the camera was completely soak when I noticed water droplets on the lens, I always carry a large cotton scarf that I used to dry and cover the camera, luckily the Canon camera and lens were not affected by the soaking, last March an unexpected snow storm in NYC got my cameras wet, so I used a plastic bag to "waterproof" the Sony A7R and Cann 17-40 mm lens.

Are there any additional advise to protect the camera, I am taking the M10 to a cruise at the Aegean sea this fall. Or maybe keep the M10 iside the bag and shoot with Sony when the environment is wet?

When riding in outrigger boats in open seas I simply cover the camera from the splashes with my back and white checkered scarf.

fullsizeoutput_6f1d-XL.jpg

DSC02226-L.jpg

Edited by tonyniev
  • Like 1

During an Akadamie Photowalk I was using an M240 35/f2 Cron supplied by the organisers; it got pretty wet walking about in the rain, but it seemed to function ok. Just dried it off when I got back inside, however it wasn't my liability. I asked the instructor and said M240's and their lenses are OK in such weather, just allow them to dry off somewhere where there's air movement.

• Like 3

how waterproof is a M10 w/ lens attached?

if I have my M10 with summarit lens attached at the beach and it falls in the saltwater for a couple of seconds is it ruined?  freshwater lake?

can it be heavily splashed at least?

can the lens get really wet?

not sure what the limits are?

thanks a lot.

IP 53. I.e. resistant to moderate spray with an incidence angle of +/- 60 º

If you drop it into fresh water you might get lucky, into salt water you have almost certainly totalled it.

If you drop it into fresh water you might get lucky, into salt water you have almost certainly totalled it.

It's the first time I've seen an IP rating mentioned, where did you get the info, Jaapv ?

Of course 'fresh water' could have free ions present, so even fresh water could spell death to electronics. If it were to occur, and assuming it wasn't switched on at the time, I'd remove the battery and return it to Leica for assessment and corrective action.

Edited by Steve Ricoh
  • Like 1

Erm - on this thread you said you didn't know. And the only person who quoted IP53 wouldn't give his source.

Unless Leica say publicly what standard the M10 should perform to, any assurance is worthless when it comes to arguing a dispute about water ingress repairs with Leica. 

So, I ask again - are you feeling lucky?

Edited by LocalHero1953

Shield it as much as possible even during shooting in pouring rain

Wipe dry thoroughly as soon as possible

Separate lens from body and let the humidity get absorbed in a dry environment

In the end it's your personal risk so use common sense

I know it wasn't yours, but can you identify that wrist strap you had with the double attachment? I've been looking for something similar.

I'm not sure I understand you - what isn't mine? Wrist strap with double attachment?

Sorry, I got you mixed up with Steve Ricoh's previous post. 

I meant: what is the wrist strap shown in your photographs? Or is it a neck strap that in the photo just looks like its attached to your wrist?

Edited by LocalHero1953

Thanks for this post, I have to take extra precautions when I shoot the M10 in humid and seaside, in small boats in open seas and waterfalls, or snow storms. I have shot with Canon 5D2 and did not think about it under a tall waterfall, I only noticed the camera was completely soak when I noticed water droplets on the lens, I always carry a large cotton scarf that I used to dry and cover the camera, luckily the Canon camera and lens were not affected by the soaking, last March an unexpected snow storm in NYC got my cameras wet, so I used a plastic bag to "waterproof" the Sony A7R and Cann 17-40 mm lens.

Are there any additional advise to protect the camera, I am taking the M10 to a cruise at the Aegean sea this fall. Or maybe keep the M10 iside the bag and shoot with Sony when the environment is wet?

When riding in outrigger boats in open seas I simply cover the camera from the splashes with my back and white checkered scarf.

The 5D series is not sealed to the level of the 7DIi (or the pro level Canons, 1DX, etc)....

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/11/cracking-open-the-7d-ii/

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/06/canon-5ds-teardown/

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/09/lensrentals-canon-5d-mk-iv-teardown/

I've read about multiple Canon 5D series cameras failing under extreme weather adventures, e.g., LuLa workshops. As with the Leica M, one takes his/her chances, and uses common sense precautions. The Leica S and SL are also sealed to a higher standard.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Sorry, I got you mixed up with Steve Ricoh's previous post.

I meant: what is the wrist strap shown in your photographs? Or is it a neck strap that in the photo just looks like its attached to your wrist?

Got you now

Just a normal Leica neck strap, the angle makes it appear like a wrist strap. That said, I do use it mostly as a wrist strap and only when I need both my hands do I sling it on my neck

• Like 1

I use mine (M246) when raining. I have no choice as it rains on average 250 days a year where I live. If the rain is particularly nasty I simply cover the camera and lens with my hand when I'm outside. I'd be more worried with condensation during the winter but there are tricks to avoid devastation in that regard too.

The 5D series is not sealed to the level of the 7DIi (or the pro level Canons, 1DX, etc)....

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/11/cracking-open-the-7d-ii/

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/06/canon-5ds-teardown/

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/09/lensrentals-canon-5d-mk-iv-teardown/

I've read about multiple Canon 5D series cameras failing under extreme weather adventures, e.g., LuLa workshops. As with the Leica M, one takes his/her chances, and uses common sense precautions. The Leica S and SL are also sealed to a higher standard.

Jeff

I know the specs for 5D2 is not as good as 1Dx and I was pleasantly glad that despite a real soaking nothing broke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erm - on this thread you said you didn't know. And the only person who quoted IP53 wouldn't give his source.

Unless Leica say publicly what standard the M10 should perform to, any assurance is worthless when it comes to arguing a dispute about water ingress repairs with Leica. 

So, I ask again - are you feeling lucky?

sure - i drowned my M8 and soaked my M9 in the rainforest. Both survived.