M10 GPS with smartphone?

Surge

Only one QR code shot after a session is needed. The QR code (which changes continuously as long as it is visible on the iPhone screen) contains the info to synchronise the time of pictures taken during the session period with the iPhone clock.

It is a pity that in Lightroom using the .gpx file is more convenient than using the QR code. 

"gps4cam doesn’t require any manual syncing between your smartphone’s time and your camera’s time"

"you can crop the picture of the QR code before importing"

Reading the FAQ on the App it is important that the QR code "covers an important part of the picture" this would be the issue with a 28mm lens but as the quote above states you can crop to make that part of the image larger, best taken against a plain background I also read a jpeg is better as if you use a DNG (RAW) the program reads the embedded jpeg in the RAW which may be best first step to see if it can read your image. The edit time is not relevant as QR code contains the time data required to sync.

I downloaded the app as a result of this thread and have found it very easy thus far. I have used the GSM Energy Saving mode as that saves battery and I have found the accuracy is sufficient for my need just for a general location not 5m accuracy.

I have found the easiest workflow is to generate the code, take a jpeg (remembering to change back to RAW after, as an aside I found the inadvertent jpegs when I forgot pretty good  :D ) then connect the SD card to the computer, run the gps4cam program, which asks for the directory the images are in and destination directory, I set these to the same and run, the files, RAW, are then tagged GPS with time corrected on the SD card which I then import into, in my case Capture One. You could make a backup first from the card for safety but I am just testing so the images were not mission critical.

Hope that helps, as a new user I found it easy to use, (once I enabled GPS tags to be uploaded on Flickr  ;) ) and the app has a very good guide and more FAQs than the web site with more options to customise capture accuracy and time intervals, I bought the pro version. You can pause the "trip" on GSM tagging then restart on high accuracy GPS fix if needed then pause and restart back on GSM for example. Some users may find the option to only capture and record GPS position after taking a shot, achieved by shaking the phone useful. Good value, a happy purchaser and thanks to those above for the pointers.

Edited by chris_livsey

One thing to pay attention with gps4cam, it hasn't been updated since a long time. I don't think the owner is there anymore. It wasn't working perfectly with iOS10 but somehow it has started to work with iOS11 like normal.

So before upgrade to iOS12 this autumn, check before if it works.

(Or you can get an iPhone4s which should have iOS9 on it, drop it in your bag and use as GPS tagger)

• Like 1

Yesterday and today I was out and tried it out:

1) After one hour walk today I had 5 (!) QR Codes that I had to photograph out of my phone. Why is that? Why not just one QR Code? Yesterday had had 2.

2) How do you manage when you are on a vacation for several days? Do you just pause the App on the phone over night?

And the taking of the pictures of the QR Codes was very, very tricky. I had to do it several times. At the end I took the Canon with the 100mm Makro lens and shot in JPG. Then finally it worked. So it takes some experience.

Yesterday and today I was out and tried it out:

1) After one hour walk today I had 5 (!) QR Codes that I had to photograph out of my phone. Why is that? Why not just one QR Code? Yesterday had had 2.

2) How do you manage when you are on a vacation for several days? Do you just pause the App on the phone over night?

And the taking of the pictures of the QR Codes was very, very tricky. I had to do it several times. At the end I took the Canon with the 100mm Makro lens and shot in JPG. Then finally it worked. So it takes some experience.

In offline mode, one QR code cannot contain all the data for a longer session so it will be spread over multiple QR codes. In online mode however, the data is stored in the cloud and a single QR code is what you get. Online mode can be enabled in settings, you need to register first.

You can stop a session at the end of the day and resume it the next day.

Be sure to take the QR code picture with the camera from which you want the pictures to be geotagged... 

In offline mode, one QR code cannot contain all the data for a longer session so it will be spread over multiple QR codes. In online mode however, the data is stored in the cloud and a single QR code is what you get. Online mode can be enabled in settings, you need to register first.

You can stop a session at the end of the day and resume it the next day.

Be sure to take the QR code picture with the camera from which you want the pictures to be geotagged... 

Thank you very much for that. 

Concerning your statement of taking the QR code from the camera from which the pictures should be geotagged: Yesterday I did not manage with the 75mm on M10 so I took the Makro lens on the Canon and with that I was successful. I put the photographed QR Codes from Canon into the same folder as a JPG as I had the M10 DNGs. I was quite upset that I did not manage with the M10. I learned then that I could/should crop the GEO Tags before using them so that I have larger image of the tag. But my M10 shots were not too sharp either (some anyway)

The thing with registering is unfortunately not possible: I get a message that the Dropbox Login is not possible as the App has not been updated. And the Facebook or Twitter login is not possible either as they work on a solution (according to the error message).  So online mode seems not to be possible any more (or for a while anyway)

So I got now some doubts if I have the right App for which I paid after all a few coins. 

I wonder if I should switch to the Tracker App that is mentioned by the user 6bit in post #29?

The thing with registering is unfortunately not possible: I get a message that the Dropbox Login is not possible as the App has not been updated. And the Facebook or Twitter login is not possible either as they work on a solution (according to the error message).  So online mode seems not to be possible any more (or for a while anyway)

So I got now some doubts if I have the right App for which I paid after all a few coins. 

Strange. The gps4cam cloud still works and it is still possible to register for it.

In settings, press the "connect" button below "connect to the gps4cam cloud to save...". Then press "register" and enter your email address. You will receive an email with a link to enter a user ID and a password. Once registered you can enter these in the app after pressing login.