Welcome to the forum. Since no one has responded yet, I gave your question some thought because I wasn't sure and didn't want to give weak or incorrect advice.. I've done some research and the clearest analysis of settings required for continuous focus tracking is found on the DPRreview website.

We need never stop learning!

Read here: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/leica-q-typ116/5

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

I'm interested in disabling "continuous" on the Q. I assume this could be done in firmware. If I'm responding quickly to a situation I inadvertently pull the lever to "C" and I would really like to make both "S" and "C" be single shots.

Edited by chaynes4@me.com

Good luck with that. The S & C switch has been a minor frustration for many since the camera was first introduced. There is no user selection to disable continuous. The best you can do is be more careful when switching on and select the S. Of course Leica could add an OFF to the menu where continuous fps rate is selected. That would be a desirable band-aid.

• Like 2

Funny I'm the opposite. It doesnt bother me much to have too many frames, but the opposite, not having enough, does. Leica removed the C position altogether on the M, which means having to go in and out of the menus to enable, disable. In my world, C mode is very often a split second decision... I dont normally rely on it, but when a situation presents itself that requires a series of frames, there's never any time to enable C mode though a  menu system.  So even if it could be disabled, which it can't, I'd leave it live and just eat the extra frames. 

The one thing that does bug me related to C mode is playback. Given the black out, when I'm in C shooting a subject moving the frame, its the one time I chimp a bit to see just how well things worked out.  I hate the play review feature and the dance necessary to review the set of frames. Quite annoying to treat C mode captures as if they were video.     

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Funny I'm the opposite. It doesnt bother me much to have too many frames, but the opposite, not having enough, does. Leica removed the C position altogether on the M, which means having to go in and out of the menus to enable, disable. In my world, C mode is very often a split second decision... I dont normally rely on it, but when a situation presents itself that requires a series of frames, there's never any time to enable C mode though a  menu system.  So even if it could be disabled, which it can't, I'd leave it live and just eat the extra frames. 

The one thing that does bug me related to C mode is playback. Given the black out, when I'm in C shooting a subject moving the frame, its the one time I chimp a bit to see just how well things worked out.  I hate the play review feature and the dance necessary to review the set of frames. Quite annoying to treat C mode captures as if they were video.     

If I understand your comment, you can disable the 'video' in 'play mode setup' set 'group display mode' to off

• Like 2

If I understand your comment, you can disable the 'video' in 'play mode setup' set 'group display mode' to off

Awesome, thanks!  My comment was not about video, per se, but setting the group display mode does indeed disable the stacking of multiple shots taken in continuous mode. 

• Like 1