which viewfinder for Elmarit 21mm?

kengai

I use the Frankenfinder with my 21 & 24 Elmarit-M lenses and occasionally with the 28 Summicron to eliminate viewfinder blockage. Initially I bought the current  Leica metal finder, but discovered that the etched frame lines would wash out under some lighting conditions.  The Frankenfinder metal framelines are illuminated just like the ones in the M9 (and earlier.bodies) and are visible in lighting.where those in the metal finder wash out.

Edited by Luke_Miller

I use a Contax 21mm finder with my 21 mm SEM and have been very happy. It is rounded , has a crosshair in the middle and is very very bright . Its crome finish is very chic. It comes available from time to time on e-bay for half the price of leica.

Isn't the leica finder the only one with the correct offset?

in theory, yes; in actual use it makes little difference and is more than compensated by the higher optical quality of the Zeiss finder.
  • Like 2

I have several options for the 21 finder. A black metal SBK00 21 finder that fits by friction with no lock, a plastic Leitz with the locking lever, a Zeiss 21 that I usually use with my Contax IIA film rangefinder and 21mm f4.5 Biogon, and the multi-view Frankenfinder. My digital M has no video but I do have an EVF-2 from my Olympus Pen days, LOL...

In terms of nicest, more comfortable (enormously wide) and accurate view, no question it's the Frankenfinder, but I'll typically only carry it if I am utilizing two lenses that need it (usually the 24 and 18). For just the 21, I'll usually take the light plastic 21 finder with the locking foot. The locking feature is nice, I've had the non-locking black metal SBK00 slip out of the shoe on my M262 (the fit in the M9 shoe in contrast is very tight) when pulling the body out of the bag.

Having used all of the above, and others, I prefer the Leica plastic one. Yes, the Zeiss offers the best view, but it has sharp projecting corners which catch on things. The finder can be prone to slipping out as well. The Voigtländer finder is nicely rounded, relatively inexpensive but not as accurate and also sticks up above the camera a bit more. The Leica metal one is very expensive and more prone to slipping out of the shoe. Before there were other good options I lost or damaged about 5 of these. Over the years I've had about 15 finders of one kind or another, and now usually reach for the plastic Leica.

Edited by henning

I am way more than happy with 24 Leica metal for 24.    Better than any in my collection of 21,28,35,50 90,135 Leica and 75 CV.  The first 75 came with a crooked bright lined it took months to get it replaced by Photo Village.  

Zoom 21-24-28- is the worst finder I ever used.   Leica should be ashamed to have put their name on it.

• Like 1