Post processing JPEGS

Deliberate1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Friends, I would appreciate any suggestions for processing jpegs.

Today I shot some quick grab landscapes inspired by wonderful ephemeral, fractured light streaming through trees. Even hand-held, they came out quite well despite the 0 to 10 zone gradations. Unfortunately, it all unfolded so fast I forgot to check the file format which was set to basic jpeg because of casual family shots I took over the weekend. Knowing that this format is not as malleable as DNG files, is there a more delicate and efficient way to make adjustments with these files. My typical work flow starts in LR where I do global adjustments and then move to PS for more targeted work.

Thank for any suggestions.

David 

Basically no different from your usual workflow, just less malleable. I would advise to make sure you are editing in 16 bits in PS -even if the original JPG is 8 bits- to mitigate posterization.

• Like 1

LR is nondestructive, so you can work your files as much or as little as you prefer. Of course you won't have the same latitude as DNG, but the basic LR controls and principles still apply. Virtual copies are free.... edit to your preferred rendering(s).

Current LR versions have excellent global and local control capability. I find increasingly less need for PS.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1