Negative film scanner

fatihayoglu

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My scanner would have to handle from 4x5" on down. Lately it is all medium format. OOPS! I suspect that requisite is grounds to eliminate this post. But wait, does not Leica also own a large format company?

Edited by pico

Although I own both the Minolta Multi Pro and Minolta 5400 dedicated film scanners I very much favour using a digital camera for film "scanning" these days. I scan 135 and120 film with a Leica Beoon set up, finding it much quicker, cleaner and almost equal to the dedicated scanners, with the added blessing that it fits into a nice little box and tucks away in the drawer after use.

Ray, ... but your step Beoon is digital ... finally almost all your pictures is in binary code ie no grain like in film !

You can see on your pictures.Scannr is useful to post (LF) or to print in inkjet . Not need it if you print in silver paper

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

Ray, ... but your step Beoon is digital ... finally almost all your pictures is in binary code ie no grain like in film !

You can see on your pictures.Scannr is useful to post (LF) or to print in inkjet . Not need it if you print in silver paper

Best

Henry

Most certainly I would print silver if darkroom space was an option to me, in which case scanning would be a side-line.

So, is there a Sinar scanner for LF and 35mm?

Guess no - apart from that you can build something with a Sinar and a digital back that may scan films.

PhaseOne has just offered a scanning station with a 100 mp back. I've heard it should cost about 50.000 Euro. So you can buy a lot of Imacons for it. But it will probably scan a bit faster. :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Guess no - apart from that you can build something with a Sinar and a digital back that may scan films.

PhaseOne has just offered a scanning station with a 100 mp back. I've heard it should cost about 50.000 Euro. So you can buy a lot of Imacons for it. But it will probably scan a bit faster. :)

Only 509K euro! I'm torn - a BMW or a scanner.

I now do a quick preview on the lowest dpi setting to select a shot then adjust the angle of the film holder before previewing with a higher dpi setting prior to scanning. 

If anyone has tips on cutting the film straight and safely (not cutting into the frame) I'd be interested.

Pete

I have one of these and find it satisfactory.

Film%20cutter.jpg

I got mine from Henry's rather than B&H, and they were able to order some spare bulbs for me when the first one blew after a year or two. The only modification it really needs is an inline switch in the power cable, as I don't like crawling under my desk to pull the plug from the power bar.

Going back to the main topic, scanners, I have to say that pretty much any scanner will do for web and A4 prints. I've used simple and cheap Pacific Image single frame scanners, Epson flatbeds, KM 5400 MkI and MkII, Nikon 9000, and Flextight 848 and X1. If I wanted big prints I'd have to use the better dedicated film scanners, but most of the time the choice is based more on speed, ease of use and supported software (particularly for colour negatives - some scanning software makes colour inversion very easy, and some, well, just doesn't.) I am limited to the X1 and V850 for 4x5 and to the V850 alone for 10x8. Rather than obsessing over which scanner, I'd get whatever is comfortable in your budget and concentrate on getting to know it well by scanning an awful lot of film. Much later on would be the right time to get what would be your ultimate scanner.

Hello;

I have my 2nd Plustek film scanner. They are great for what they do. Yes, not professional quality, but for the price, size and speed of the unit, they service the purpose.

Had used a flatbed scanner, it was big, noisy and so it did all sizes.

I scan my 35mm myself. I have my 120mm put onto a CD when processing and then bring into my computer. You either have complete control from start to finish, or, you can do as much as possible with in cost.

I have the 8100s, the one up I think is the E. I maybe wrong. This other one is better for doing colour work, which I don't do much film colour work. Digital yes, film is only b&W.

Hope this helps....

joe

• 2 weeks later...