MM1 sensor replacement, any problems with the "new" sensor?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With the August 15th deadline rapidly approaching for those who may have CCD sensor problems I was wondering if anyone has had problems with corrosion with the "new corrosion resistant" replacement sensor?

I've had two original sensors replacements on my MM1, the third time it had the new sensor installed and 6 months or so down the road it's so far so good, but I still wonder if this is a systemic problem with the CCD sensors that Leica uses in all of the Monochom 1's and the M9's.

I know this has been covered in other threads but having Leica renege on their promise to replace the faulty CCD sensors for free irrespective of when the problems occur is just simply dishonourable and has left me hugely disappointed with the company even as I continue to buy and use new Leica gear. After all it's not our fault as Leica customers that they built the cameras with faulty sensors in the first place, so morally they should continue the rectify these problems under warranty. 

From what I see with your work Colin you would still produce outstanding images even if the sensor was cracked and corroded, the weather was crappy and you had a hangover...........Thanks for the feedback!

With the August 15th deadline rapidly approaching for those who may have CCD sensor problems I was wondering if anyone has had problems with corrosion with the "new corrosion resistant" replacement sensor?

I've had two original sensors replacements on my MM1, the third time it had the new sensor installed and 6 months or so down the road it's so far so good, but I still wonder if this is a systemic problem with the CCD sensors that Leica uses in all of the Monochom 1's and the M9's.

I know this has been covered in other threads but having Leica renege on their promise to replace the faulty CCD sensors for free irrespective of when the problems occur is just simply dishonourable and has left me hugely disappointed with the company even as I continue to buy and use new Leica gear. After all it's not our fault as Leica customers that they built the cameras with faulty sensors in the first place, so morally they should continue the rectify these problems under warranty. 

The new type replacement sensor was specifically developed to be corrosion-proof.

The corrosion problem only occurs with sensors that use an IR filter that has not been laminated but coated and uses a specific type of filter glass combined with a specific coating.

It is not the sensor that corrodes, but the IR filter. Had this type of filter been used on a CMos sensor (which not!), it would have been corroding the same way.

• Like 1

From what I see with your work Colin you would still produce outstanding images even if the sensor was cracked and corroded, the weather was crappy and you had a hangover...........Thanks for the feedback!

Thank you very much!

The new type replacement sensor was specifically developed to be corrosion-proof.

The corrosion problem only occurs with sensors that use an IR filter that has not been laminated but coated and uses a specific type of filter glass combined with a specific coating.

It is not the sensor that corrodes, but the IR filter. Had this type of filter been used on a CMos sensor (which not!), it would have been corroding the same way.

Thank you Jaapv for the reassuring clarification!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I understood that the sensor were not replaced, but the glass filter because it was the glass that had the problems. Now the exact process is not clear to me.  Do they somehow remove the old filter glass and replace that with a new one OR do they remove the entire old sensor and replace it with a sensor which has had the glass filter replaced?

Anyone have a comment?

Just bought one (again) which had just been sent back to a dealer from Leica after repair. This is my favorite Monochrom of the 2 variations. Like the DNG histogram too.

Leica always replaces the complete sensor+motherboard assembly on the M8/9/240 as a single unit. It may be slightly different on the M10 as the motherboard and sensor array are separate modules. In any case, a single IR filter will never be replaced, only the complete sensor.

Removing the IR filter is a fiddly and risky operation that is only done by specialized IR workshops.

• Like 1