Burst continuous mode lag

umosydney

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am using burst mode all the time on every job. Hi speed, medium speed continuous mode are very convenient for me. But after Leica update the firmware of Leica SL to 3.0, the continuous mode has some problems. When I press button,the continuous mode is shooting with lag between two or three photo taken. Moreover, the EVF flash red every time the photo is taken.

So I cannot use continuous mode anymore. It lags every 4-5 shots and it's very frustrating that I miss some crucial shot between the burst.

Here's what my problem look like in video

I have contact someone at Leica and they said it's SD card related. I have 10 SD cards with me with many speed. I have tried all of them but they are same.

Anyone have this issue?

Thank you

It happens to me too while i m shooting with either single or continuous mode for both of my SLs.  The problems get slightly better when I change the Storage Option to Standard, so I assume this can be the card read/write problem.  I also use Sandisk Extreme Pro 64G (95Mb/s) as well as other cards, but I am still getting the lags since the 3.0 update.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm having this problem too with  the 95mb/s cards and set to backup on the 2nd SD card. For both Single Shot and continuous  mode.

I'll test it with faster UHSII cards later but I think I agree with pyp that it's a read/write lag I'm hitting. One slot being a slower would probably create a bottleneck. Didn't have this before 3.0

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about you guys, but it seems this lag problem is getting worse every time I pick up my camera. Anyone else experiencing problems?

I rarely use continuous mode in anything other than Low but I do sometimes use it in medium and yes, I am also having this same problem. It's not really an issue for me, but it's definitely happening. You're not imaginging it.

• 4 weeks later...

I am getting the lag with Medium - Continuous Mode. Previously to Version 3 update when shooting oncoming trains from tripod. Using the remote switch on lock the continuous function worked a treat and every frame was eventually captured when the write/buffer finished. Now with the same set up the buffer lags and the crucial timing for the right framing of Train is lost. There is a section of perhaps ten images missing in the continuous firing. I will test the same process without the backup second SD card function activated. I shoot without previews because its annoying and turned electronic shutter off.

I used continuous medium speed recently, with mechanical shutter on my SL and the 90-280, shooting pole vaulters in the early evening, not full sunlight.  Lexar 1000 UHS II cards and saving dng only, first card only.  No problem seen.  I do try to start the burst early, as the timing of the first 2 shots is always erratic, then things settle down.  But no gaps in coverage.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1

sorry for lost contact. My username and password just been recovered.

I emailed Leica about my problems. They said they do not aware of this problem before. The German then pass me on to Singapore office which take care of SEA Leica. The repair guys said they do not know.

BTW, here's what my problem look like

single shot mode

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5hoLNF0oNN2Q3B2Z2J0TE4yLXc

This was taken with the fastest card I have, sandisk extreme pro 280mb/s

Now, I don't know what to do next. Maybe the guy in Singapore can downgrade mine into version 2.7

Edited by umosydney

I had that issue twice, but turning the camera off and on again helped me out (I might have also pulled the battery, can't exactly remember). I was happy it was gone afterwards. Very ennoying bug with the new firmware version I suppose.

I was asuming Leica is aware and working on a fix.

• 1 year later...

I have learned to take second SD out of Camera and to only use mechanical shutter. I use M lenses and often the High Speed burst setting. When I first used the high speed function a few years ago,  I accidentally left the camera firing with the remote switch on lock. I was impressed to see that there were no interruptions to the shooting sequence caused by lagging. However I always get the lagging now, and interruptions to the sequences. I need to wait until the crucial moment and then lock the release switch otherwise after about twenty frames I get a lag in the timing of the shot that only has a few seconds of window. . 

quick update

Mine was sent to Singapore for repair. The repair was done under warranty which include logic board replacement.

After I have got the camera back, the problem disappeared. Now if I want to use burst mode, I would try using JPG only which allow you to shoot infinity number of jpg if you keep pressing shutter

Edited by umo